Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mintage
Level 2
Level 2

dual boot image on new computer only boots in recovery mode

Post by mintage »

I had a dual boot laptop with a 1 TB HDD. I used clonezilla to make an image of the whole drive (7 partitions) before sending the laptop to the manufacturer for warranty work. The laptop was never seen again.
I now have a laptop with a new Win10 on a 256GB SSD and the image from the other dual boot laptop on a 2nd, 2TB HDD. I did some banging around and the grub will allow booting to either Windows (from the previous laptop and the new laptop) but will only boot to Linux Mint 18.3 MATE if I go through advanced settings, update grub, resume. Logging in through this method operates normally until GUI shutdown simply hangs the computer on exit to a screen showing only the active pointer.
Attempting to “default” into Linux Mint 18.3 MATE without pressing anything boots up to some 20 second string of repeating errors and leads to a cli version of login/password that I’ve seen in the past blink on the screen before proceeding to load the gui login/password I am more familiar with. Now it just sits there in some kind of loop and sometimes pops up a screen about “6 fails to generate” some kind of x-screen “in 90 seconds, something bad is happening”, “ok” to wait 2 minutes. I have successfully used a login authentication that works with the gui user login and was able to “sudo update-grub” and “shutdown now” successfully it seemed, but the system reboots right back to same issue. It appears there are six cli screens available through Alt-F1 through F6; and, F7 appears to display indications of the failed GUI process.
I think I am using the original MBR from the previous HDD and may be using various configuration settings that are applicable to the lost laptop; but I don’t know about that, or how it can be fixed. sudo update-grub doesn’t seem to do much.
Thanks to the mint support throng goodness
mintage
Level 2
Level 2

Re: dual boot image on new computer only boots in recovery mode

Post by mintage »

inxi -Fxzd

Code: Select all

System:    Host: mint-HP-Notebook Kernel: 4.15.0-72-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: HP product: HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 17-cd0xxx v: Type1ProductConfigId
           Mobo: HP model: 85FE v: 43.33 Bios: Insyde v: F.11 date: 07/04/2019
CPU:       Hexa core Intel Core i7-9750H (-HT-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 31104
           clock speeds: max: 4500 MHz 1: 1412 MHz 2: 1252 MHz 3: 1274 MHz
           4: 926 MHz 5: 1229 MHz 6: 1266 MHz 7: 1251 MHz 8: 1254 MHz
           9: 1274 MHz 10: 1232 MHz 11: 1651 MHz 12: 1178 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 3e9b bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA Device 2191 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: fbdev,intel (unloaded: vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@77.00hz
           GLX Renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 256 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Card-2 NVIDIA Device 1aeb driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-72-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak]
           driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 00:14.3
           IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2000.4GB (3.5% used)
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: N/A size: 256.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ04ABD2 size: 2000.4GB
           Optical: No optical drives detected.
Partition: ID-1: / size: 189G used: 58G (32%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.46GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda7
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: 29.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 279 Uptime: 1:19 Memory: 917.5/15879.9MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

mintage wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:48 pm
I had a dual boot laptop with a 1 TB HDD. I used clonezilla to make an image of the whole drive (7 partitions) before sending the laptop to the manufacturer for warranty work. The laptop was never seen again.
I now have a laptop with a new Win10 on a 256GB SSD and the image from the other dual boot laptop on a 2nd, 2TB HDD. I did some banging around and the grub will allow booting to either Windows (from the previous laptop and the new laptop) but will only boot to Linux Mint 18.3 MATE if I go through advanced settings, update grub, resume. Logging in through this method operates normally until GUI shutdown simply hangs the computer on exit to a screen showing only the active pointer.
Attempting to “default” into Linux Mint 18.3 MATE without pressing anything boots up to some 20 second string of repeating errors and leads to a cli version of login/password that I’ve seen in the past blink on the screen before proceeding to load the gui login/password I am more familiar with. Now it just sits there in some kind of loop and sometimes pops up a screen about “6 fails to generate” some kind of x-screen “in 90 seconds, something bad is happening”, “ok” to wait 2 minutes. I have successfully used a login authentication that works with the gui user login and was able to “sudo update-grub” and “shutdown now” successfully it seemed, but the system reboots right back to same issue. It appears there are six cli screens available through Alt-F1 through F6; and, F7 appears to display indications of the failed GUI process.
I think I am using the original MBR from the previous HDD and may be using various configuration settings that are applicable to the lost laptop; but I don’t know about that, or how it can be fixed. sudo update-grub doesn’t seem to do much.
At the top of this page, in red, it says "Before you post please read how to get help". You might want to click the link and read it. Non-technical terms like "doesn’t seem to do much" and "some 20 second string of repeating errors" are insufficiently technical to diagnose. Also, it helps if you don't delve into historical back-stories but stick with the present issue alone.

Edit: I see you posted inxi output. LM 18.3 may be too told for that machine. Try 19.3.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
mintage
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintage »

Thanks for responding to my poorly crafted request for help. I will upgrade.

Return to “Installation & Boot”