Mint 19.3 crashed with out warning after one week.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
charvey
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19.3 crashed with out warning after one week.

Post by charvey »

I had installed mint 19.3 and ran it about 1 week. I had installed mysql and a few other programs like Steam and OBS studios.
I was using firefox to look at Facebook and my browser froze up , i finally got it to close and reloaded it . All my book marks and my search history were missing.
i checked my docs and found my items still there and my desktop appeard to be intact . I decided to reboot the system to try and clear what ever might have happened . On restart i got the Grub menu and selected Linux mint , the system is set to use a password to log in and i know it by heart . I could NOT get the system to take / accept my password. i tried many times double checking caps locks, number locks ect ect . I finally gave up and rebooted just to make sure. on the second attempt to boot into the system i got the same error on the password...invalid . i booted with my flash drive but could not get anywhere. after 1 hour i did a reformat of the partition and re installed the system. Is this something thats happened before? anyone els have this issue ? I had a great run with Mint 17 and 18 but THIS is a bit scary .

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 B77 Processor (3200 MHz)
Memory: 5954 MB
OS Version: Linux 5.0.0-37-generic #40~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 14 12:06:39 UTC 2019 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 435.21

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint 19.3 crashed with out warning after one week.

Post by deepakdeshp »

Mint from 17 to 19.3 has been rock solid. Take a clonezilla backup to an external drive so that you dont need all the customization and your data in case of disaster
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Asrael
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 19.3 crashed with out warning after one week.

Post by Asrael »

I had a similar issue with my password not being recognised.
Like you I reinstalled.
This is a link to a helpful reply which could have saved me reinstalling:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=308254
Asus M4A77T/Athlon II X2 260/Radeon HD5570/16 Gb Ram/EdiMax PCI wireless on Mint 19.3 XFCE 64 bit/ 2 x 500Gb WD Blue Sata SSD

Return to “Installation & Boot”