Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
stevev01
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19.3 USB boot disk won't boot any more

Post by stevev01 »

I began to install Mint 19.3 on HP windows 10 and made it to where I was given installation options like over write the whole disk, install LVM or Install and resize partitions. After reading several other internet posts, I exited Mint and went to MP BIOS to change disable secure boot, etc.

Whatever I changed the USB will not boot again. I recreated the USB thinking maybe it was changed by my first install attempt. Same result. Somehow I've got the HP windows machine to where it won't boot the standard Mint 19.3 USB ISO.

The error message that comes immediately after trying to boot from USB is
Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.ef1 - Not Found
Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.ef1 Not Found
Failed to start MokManager: Not Found
Something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed : Not Found

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint 19.3 USB boot disk won't boot any more

Post by gittiest personITW »

Don't suppose you have a dvd drive on the system have you?

stevev01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stevev01 »

I don't have a dvd but I checked the contents of the USB 19.3 Mint distribution. It in fact has a directory EFI\BOOT and it contains 2 files in it:
BOOTx64.EFI
grubx64.efi

Sone how my computer is looking for mmx64.efi.

When I began the installation, this was not the case. It booted properly but my first attempt at installing caused this problem.

yuralyma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yuralyma »

Hello!
I had the same problem running linux. I have windows 8.1 installed and when trying to run linux mint 19.3 from a flash drive like yours. For my laptop, I found a solution: in the BIOS, set boot to both (UEFI/Legacy) and select Legacy boot first, and only then did I boot Linux mint 19.3 from the USB flash drive. I hope someone helps my decision.

ko8lez
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ko8lez »

This was really frustrating for me. Something happened to the MOK manager during the install and creating a fresh bootable usb from a newly download Linux Mint 19.3 .iso resulted in the same "MOK Manager Missing" or w/e error. The following was what I found worked for me after much trial and error:

1. Download Ubuntu 19.10 .iso from https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop
2. Make "bootable usb" of downloaded Ubuntu 19.10 .iso.
3. Boot using the newly created 19.10 usb.
4. Blue and white text screen of MOK Manager should be the first thing to pop up
-Input the password you used to "turn off secure boot to install third party drivers" during the Mint install. (I think one or two windows before the partition screen)
5. I simply hit reboot at the MOK manager screen, you may have to do additional steps in the mok manager, but just hitting reboot worked for me.
6. Finally, switch out bootable usbs for the original Linux Mint 19.3 bootable usb and try to boot from it. Doing the stated steps allowed the Mint 19.3 usb to boot like nothing had happened.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

stevev01 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:42 pm
When I began the installation, this was not the case. It booted properly but my first attempt at installing caused this problem.
I've had this problem with an HP laptop running Insyde BIOS/UEFI F.48 (2018). You can check which firmware you have by running msinfo32 in Run (in Windows). Maybe there's a simple solution, but I couldn't find it and eventually had to reflash the firmware. You can do that by going to the HP support site. Notice box towards bottom of the page for identifying your particular computer.

FYI, what caused this problem in my case (and likely yours also) is that the installer uses MokManager to temporarily disable secure boot so it can install third party software. (Remember that screen?) Apparently whatever the installer does bollixes the HP firmware. If it's any consolation, I saw the installation all the way through and still had the problem, so doing that probably wouldn't have changed your outcome. In future, turn off secure boot in the firmware before installing. You can reenable afterwards if you like. Doing it that way avoids the problem altogether.

As for why this happens, most sources I've seen say Insyde isn't careful about UEFI specs, so probably their fault. No way to be sure, though.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Before you post, please read how to get help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”