Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
masternetra
Level 1
Level 1

19.3 Linux Mint Grub theme keeps overriding custom [Solved]

Post by masternetra »

I switched back over to linux mint and have installed 19.3 (Cinnamon, 64bit) and am trying to apply a different grub2 theme using grub customizer and when I reboot it's still the linux mint grub theme and I did click save after installing the theme incase that comes up.
Last edited by masternetra on Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Re: 19.3 Linux Mint Grub theme keeps overriding custom

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

masternetra wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:07 pm
I switched back over to linux mint and have installed 19.3 and am trying to apply a different theme using grub customizer and when I reboot it's still the linux mint grub theme and yes I did click save after installing the theme.
I'm afraid that if you've used that horribly destructive wrecking-ball of a [cuss words elided], you're on your own to sort it out. I've hardly seen a single positive comment about it.

All it takes to implement a new theme is ...

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_TIMEOUT=3
GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub/themes/poly-dark/theme.txt

sudo update-grub
If the LM theme is sticking around then you might have to move the LM theme config files out of ls /etc/default/grub.d/. Other than that, clean install and don't use that thing.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
masternetra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by masternetra »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:14 pm
masternetra wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:07 pm
I switched back over to linux mint and have installed 19.3 and am trying to apply a different theme using grub customizer and when I reboot it's still the linux mint grub theme and yes I did click save after installing the theme.
I'm afraid that if you've used that horribly destructive wrecking-ball of a [cuss words elided], you're on your own to sort it out. I've hardly seen a single positive comment about it.

All it takes to implement a new theme is ...

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_TIMEOUT=3
GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub/themes/poly-dark/theme.txt

sudo update-grub
If the LM theme is sticking around then you might have to move the LM theme config files out of ls /etc/default/grub.d/. Other than that, clean install and don't use that thing.
By thing I take it you mean grub customizer? If so if you have a better gui app in mind I'm all ears. I've never had a issue with grub customizer.
masternetra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by masternetra »

Yeap removing the config files from /etc/default/grub.d/ and then re-appling the theme worked.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

masternetra wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:01 am
Yeap removing the config files from /etc/default/grub.d/ and then re-appling the theme worked.
A common courtesy you might like to use in future is "thank you". Don't bother this time because I won't help you again.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
masternetra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by masternetra »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:11 am
masternetra wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:01 am
A common courtesy you might like to use in future is "thank you". Don't bother this time because I won't help you again.
Sorry about that I usually do thank people, I just forgot my bad.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 19.3 Linux Mint Grub theme keeps overriding custom [Solved]

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

A little late to the game...

You can also edit the 60_mint-theme.cfg file in the \etc\default\grub.d folder. By default it reads this:

#! /bin/sh
set -e
GRUB_FONT="/boot/grub/fonts/UbuntuMono16.pf2"
GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub/themes/linuxmint/theme.txt"
Just change it to your theme-specific files.

#! /bin/sh
set -e
GRUB_FONT="/boot/grub/themes/fallout-grub-theme/fixedsys-regular-32.pf2"
GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub/themes/fallout-grub-theme/theme.txt"
I suspect the folks that write custom GRUB themes will update their install scripts to include altering this file.

Note: If in your theme's Icon folder (/boot/grub/themes/ThemeName/icons) you have a PNG file named linux-mint.png, renamed it to linuxmint.png and Mint 19.3 will use it. The Fallout GRUB theme still uses the old linux-mint.png nomenclature.
azalea4va
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 19.3 Linux Mint Grub theme keeps overriding custom [Solved]

Post by azalea4va »

I submit that there is a bug here, either in documentation or design. The documentation says the GRUB_THEME= parameter in /etc/default/grub defines what theme is used. But as has been noted here, in fact, that value gets overridden by scripts in /etc/default/grub.d. The presence of this functionality is new to me when I upgraded to 19.3 from 19.1. The new theme created a problem for me, not a major issue, but because of the documentation lack of clarity, it took hours for me to track down why setting the GRUB_THEME= parameter in /etc/default/grub was not working.

But I wonder if this is a problem with design. If there are going to be multpile configuration files, shouldn't they all be in one place, /etc/default/grub.d with the old /etc/default/grub moved to /etc/default/grub.d/00_grub? (A new /etc/default/grub text file documenting the relocation.)

Return to “Installation & Boot”