Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rustyp
Level 3
Level 3

18.3 Booting To Login Screen

Post by rustyp »

Woke up this morning and my Linux Mint 18.3 had rebooted into a login screen I have never seen before, entered my password screen goes black for a few seconds then right back to the same screen telling me the password was wrong, try to log in as Guest the screen goes black like when trying to use Guest Session then right back to the login screen.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Before posting on this site I always verify I have the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon installed and run Update Manager.
Thanks.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 18.3 Booting To Login Screen

Post by Sgthawker »

Sounds like a login loop, search that here on the forums for how to fix.
LM18.3KDE/LM19.3Cin/Peppermint 10R/Kubuntu19.10 UEFI on Sabertooth Z170 S, i6700K, GTX950, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM18.3KDE/KDEneon5.18/Leap15.1/Kubuntu20.04/Kubuntu19.10/LMDE 4 UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
rustyp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 18.3 Booting To Login Screen

Post by rustyp »

Well it appears Timeshift caused the problem.

I booted from the Linux Mint 18.3 installation CD then using the File Manager navigated to the Timeshift directory and deleted enough backups that my free space went from 0 to 5 GB free then I ejected the Linux Mint CD and rebooted.

Note you will need to open the Timeshift directory by right clicking and opening as root before you can delete the files.

Question now I am back into my working 18.3 Linux Mint in File Manager it says 5GB free however at the same time in the Timeshift program Settings/Location its reporting I have 53 GB free on the same drive, is Timeshift reporting the wrong free space allowing Timeshift to create a backup until it fills the drive can causes the computer to stop working OR does Timeshift even bother to check and calculate free space before creating a backup?

Seems to me Timeshift has a Bug or flaw in the system?

I am going to plug in a external HD and direct Timeshift to store the backups there question is what happens when that drive is near full will Timeshift do the same thing miscalculate the available free space, run the backup process and over fill the drive, if so what are the ramifications when this happens will it cause the operating system to stop working as well?

Thanks in advance folks.
Before posting on this site I always verify I have the latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon installed and run Update Manager.
Thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”