Before you post please read how to get help
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Shutdown problems - Failed to wait for process: Protocol error

Post by missmoondog »

ericj wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:07 pm
Yeah mine is still doing this, I don't really want to go deleting things, kinda thought by now with updates it would have been fixed. :(
not only is mine still doing this, but now when i turn on the computer and the update manager checks and finds updates, when i open it, all it does is set and spin like it's checking for updates. have to close it and log out and back in before i can actually see the updates. been doing this for the last week or so.
ericj
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ericj »

missmoondog wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:44 am
ericj wrote:
Yeah mine is still doing this, I don't really want to go deleting things, kinda thought by now with updates it would have been fixed. :(
not only is mine still doing this, but now when i turn on the computer and the update manager checks and finds updates, when i open it, all it does is set and spin like it's checking for updates. have to close it and log out and back in before i can actually see the updates. been doing this for the last week or so.
Starting to feel like I'm running Windows except a good chance I could fix it there... so far not a big deal but something ain't right
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

ericj wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:47 am
missmoondog wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:44 am
ericj wrote:
Starting to feel like I'm running Windows except a good chance I could fix it there... so far not a big deal but something ain't right
not even close to as bad as windows!
frogy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by frogy »

Hi, +1 PC with the same problem. This issue has been for a while now. I was hoping that it would have gone with an update. I had the same issue with my old laptop running on Xubuntu. Xubuntu now shuts down with no issues.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

frogy wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:19 pm
Hi, +1 PC with the same problem. This issue has been for a while now. I was hoping that it would have gone with an update. I had the same issue with my old laptop running on Xubuntu. Xubuntu now shuts down with no issues.
well just maybe the fix is coming then! how long ago was it fixed in xubuntu?
frogy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by frogy »

I'm not sure but I think it is about 10 days ago.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

frogy wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:45 am
I'm not sure but I think it is about 10 days ago.
so there may be hope yet then in the very near future :)
timppu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timppu »

I have this issue as well. It appeared a couple of days ago after I ran the normal apt update and upgrade, so I am a bit surprised this has apparently been a bug from last year already, and this thread also started many months ago. Why didn't I see this problem before?

I'm using Linux Mint 19.3 XFCE 64bit.
NVidia Geforce GTX 670M graphics (a laptop)

For me the problem causes shutdown or reboot to hang, I have to push the power button to power down my laptop.

I have seen some fixes suggested here, these are what I have tried (none worked, at least fully):

1. Using the open-source nouveau drivers:
Someone suggested there was some problem with some prorietary NVidia drivers (I've been using 390.116 drivers which is what the Driver Manager is offering for me), so I reverted to the open source nouveau 1:1.0.15-2 drivers. This didn't affect the problem at all, it hangs regardless of which drivers I use.

2. Switching off swap with "sudo swapoff -a":
This didn't fix this for me. Still hangs.

3. Uninstalling casper and finalrd with Synaptic:
My system still hangs on shutdown or reboot, BUT something did change: I am not getting the "Protocol error" messages anymore. But the system still hangs after the last message which is "kvm: exiting hardware virtualization".
The system hanged always after that message, but before there were those "Failed to wait for process: Protocol error" messages just before it.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

timppu wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:52 am
I have this issue as well. It appeared a couple of days ago after I ran the normal apt update and upgrade, so I am a bit surprised this has apparently been a bug from last year already, and this thread also started many months ago. Why didn't I see this problem before?

I'm using Linux Mint 19.3 XFCE 64bit.
NVidia Geforce GTX 670M graphics (a laptop)

For me the problem causes shutdown or reboot to hang, I have to push the power button to power down my laptop.

I have seen some fixes suggested here, these are what I have tried (none worked, at least fully):

1. Using the open-source nouveau drivers:
Someone suggested there was some problem with some prorietary NVidia drivers (I've been using 390.116 drivers which is what the Driver Manager is offering for me), so I reverted to the open source nouveau 1:1.0.15-2 drivers. This didn't affect the problem at all, it hangs regardless of which drivers I use.

2. Switching off swap with "sudo swapoff -a":
This didn't fix this for me. Still hangs.

3. Uninstalling casper and finalrd with Synaptic:
My system still hangs on shutdown or reboot, BUT something did change: I am not getting the "Protocol error" messages anymore. But the system still hangs after the last message which is "kvm: exiting hardware virtualization".
The system hanged always after that message, but before there were those "Failed to wait for process: Protocol error" messages just before it.
which kernel are you using?

so, removing those 2 files did get rid of the message this topic is about though, huh? haven't pulled the trigger on removing those yet myself.
timppu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timppu »

missmoondog wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:11 pm
which kernel are you using?

so, removing those 2 files did get rid of the message this topic is about though, huh? haven't pulled the trigger on removing those yet myself.
$ uname -r
5.3.0-46-generic
$ uname -v
#38~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 31 04:17:56 UTC 2020

Yeah the messages seem to be gone for me, but the main issue for me is that the system hangs in shutdown or reboot. Too bad it is still there. I wouldn't care about the messages if it was only about them.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

ericj wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:22 pm
I have an NVIDIA card and it has been happening to me also.
I see the same thing on my new laptop with an NVIDIA card I don't get that on my notebook with Mint and integrated graphics. When I shut down, the error message shows up six times almost instanaeously, then message that has "boot" in it shows up then the computer shuts down before I can read that all of that message. The whole process takes a whopping one second. Since it doesn't seem to be hurting anything, I'm not worrying about it (the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy).
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
timppu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timppu »

missmoondog wrote:
Now it occurred to me, could this be two separate problems that just happened to appear at the same time for some (including me)?

I see two groups of people reporting about this:

1. Those error messages + shutdown or reboot hangs.

2. Those error messages but everything else is peachy, no shutdown problems. (I'd gather people who have the graphical splashscreen obstructing the shutdown messages don't even see these errors even if they get them; I have changed it so that I always see the messages during boot time and shutdown for just these sort of cases, instead of looking at some Mint logo and wondering why it is stuck).

So if e.g. casper + finalrd causes only those error messages, then it could be something else that causes the shutdown hanging. So I got rid of the error messages by uninstalling casper + finalrd, but that didn't fix the shutdown problem.

Hands up, has the removal of casper + finalrd fixed the shutdown hanging for anyone?

EDIT: At this point I am not even sure what the starter of the thread meant by "shutdown problems". Just some extra error messages during the shutdown process that don't seem to affect anything, or did he have some actual problem? I can't even be sure if I had those error messages already weeks ago, but haven't simply noticed them until the shutdown process started hang on this same PC (related or unrelated to the error messages).
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:39 pm
ericj wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:22 pm
I have an NVIDIA card and it has been happening to me also.
I see the same thing on my new laptop with an NVIDIA card I don't get that on my notebook with Mint and integrated graphics. When I shut down, the error message shows up six times almost instanaeously, then message that has "boot" in it shows up then the computer shuts down before I can read that all of that message. The whole process takes a whopping one second. Since it doesn't seem to be hurting anything, I'm not worrying about it (the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy).
that part about boot has just started showing up on one of my machines also. tried looking in logs for any info but that's a mess to figure out anything to me!

exactly why i haven't pulled the trigger on removing those 2 files though as it doesn't actually slow the shut down process at all.

timppu wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:29 am
missmoondog wrote:
Now it occurred to me, could this be two separate problems that just happened to appear at the same time for some (including me)?

I see two groups of people reporting about this:

1. Those error messages + shutdown or reboot hangs.

2. Those error messages but everything else is peachy, no shutdown problems. (I'd gather people who have the graphical splashscreen obstructing the shutdown messages don't even see these errors even if they get them; I have changed it so that I always see the messages during boot time and shutdown for just these sort of cases, instead of looking at some Mint logo and wondering why it is stuck).

So if e.g. casper + finalrd causes only those error messages, then it could be something else that causes the shutdown hanging. So I got rid of the error messages by uninstalling casper + finalrd, but that didn't fix the shutdown problem.

Hands up, has the removal of casper + finalrd fixed the shutdown hanging for anyone?

EDIT: At this point I am not even sure what the starter of the thread meant by "shutdown problems". Just some extra error messages during the shutdown process that don't seem to affect anything, or did he have some actual problem? I can't even be sure if I had those error messages already weeks ago, but haven't simply noticed them until the shutdown process started hang on this same PC (related or unrelated to the error messages).
for me it's not really a shut down issue as far as slowing it down or anything, it's just the fact that a message shows up when it shouldn't and never did before.
frogy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by frogy »

Over a month now and the problem is still here. :(
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

frogy wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:18 am
must be because they figure it's not really a "problem"
ericj
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ericj »

missmoondog wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:20 am
frogy wrote:
Maybe so, you must have the same "disease" :shock: I have... can't stand it when something simply isn't working as it should ... I'm a perfectionist and it's not a good thing to be, never quite satisfied.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

ericj wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:22 am
missmoondog wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:20 am
frogy wrote:
Maybe so, you must have the same "disease" :shock: I have... can't stand it when something simply isn't working as it should ... I'm a perfectionist and it's not a good thing to be, never quite satisfied.
oh, i definitely hate when some simple little thing like this comes up! luckily have enough computers around here i don't have to get on one of the one's having that issues every day!! otherwise, i'd probably be pulling hair out. LOL
timppu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timppu »

frogy wrote:
For me, some recent update (either yesterday or today) fixed this in Linux Mint XFCE 19.3. Now the system shuts down properly, and also I don't see that "kvm: exiting hardware virtualization" nor the "Protocol errors" messages anymore. Earlier I got rid of by those protocol error messages by some suggestions here, but the shutdown/reboot still got stuck right after that kvm message.

Now everything is fine for me once again. I hope it stays this way.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

timppu wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:02 pm
frogy wrote:
For me, some recent update (either yesterday or today) fixed this in Linux Mint XFCE 19.3. Now the system shuts down properly, and also I don't see that "kvm: exiting hardware virtualization" nor the "Protocol errors" messages anymore. Earlier I got rid of by those protocol error messages by some suggestions here, but the shutdown/reboot still got stuck right after that kvm message.

Now everything is fine for me once again. I hope it stays this way.
cool! i'll find out about it tomorrow when i get on 1 machine that displays this issue.

thanks for posting :)
RjveraL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RjveraL »

Estimados

Yo pregunte en el Foro de LinuxLite, por este error.

Un usuario me respondió lo siguiente:

Podrias crear/escribir un script que se ejecute al apagar el sistema y que haga justo eso; desactivar la swap. Guardas/copias el script en /usr/lib/systemd/system-shutdown/ y debes crear un archivo; systemd unit file.

Code: Select all

[Unit]
Description=Desactivar swap al apagar.
DefaultDependencies=no
Before=shutdown.target reboot.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=true
ExecStart=/bin/true
ExecStop=mi script

[Install]
WantedBy=shutdown.target
Lo prove y me funcionó
En mi script agregue a la ruta a un script en /usr/local/sbin/apagar.sh con el comando 'sudo swapoff -a' el cual detiene el swap y luego el comando 'shutdown -s now' que apaga el pc.
Se que lo estoy repitiendo ese ultimo comando, pero si no apaga con uno el otro lo hará.
Mas datos en:

Code: Select all

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/start-up-and-shutdown/linux-lite-4-8-no-se-termina-de-apagar/new/?topicseen#new
Rj

Return to “Installation & Boot”