The board will go down for necessary maintenance at 12:00 PM UTC (see current UTC time). We expect to be back 1 hour later at 1:00 PM UTC. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Installed mint on chromebook but it still boots into chrome OS

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Edricnavigator
Level 1
Level 1

Installed mint on chromebook but it still boots into chrome OS

Post by Edricnavigator »

Hi everyone. I tried to install mint-cinnamon on a chromebook using the following process-
-Put the chromebook into dev mode
-Removed the WP screw
-Started chromeOS, opened a terminal and ran "sudo sh", then "flashrom --wp-disable"
-I then put in "flashrom --wp-status" which confirmed that write protection was disabled
-I restarted the computer, opened a terminal and ran "dev_usb_boot=1"

After this it was possible to boot mint from a usb by pressing CTRL-L but not with CTRL-U. Mint worked fine in the live version and I started the installation. I restarted the computer which booted into the chrome OS recovery screen. When I put CTRL-L I just get an error telling me that the recovery medium does not contain chrome OS. I can't open chrome OS at this point either since it's been deleted.

Can anyone help?

powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Installed mint on chromebook but it still boots into chrome OS

Post by powerwagon75 »

What make/model of Chromebook specifically? How much storage space and RAM does it have?

I've previously installed Gallium OS (lightweight OS, optimized to run on Chromebooks) on an older Acer C720, and the prep/install steps are notably more in-depth than what you mentioned.

Do you have a webpage reference that you were using to install Mint-Cinnamon?

One of the first, important, preparatory steps on Chromebooks was to make a recovery thumb drive for Chrome, so it could be restored back at any time you chose to revert.
Edricnavigator wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:02 pm
After this it was possible to boot mint from a usb by pressing CTRL-L but not with CTRL-U.
If a proper install was done, you should not have needed to have the USB drive inserted any longer. Selecting <Ctl+L> would have booted to Linux if properly installed. Have you tried starting it with USB removed, then select <Ctl+L>?

Did you try pressing <Ctl+D> at this point? <Ctl+U> would have directed the machine to look for a Chrome OS image on your USB drive, of which you did not have, so the message was correct for that key press.

In case you need/want to recover your Chrome OS:
https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... 0595?hl=en
(Scroll down to using Linux to recover)
Custom tower w/Mint 18
HP laptop w/Mint 18
Acer w/W10/Mint 18.3
Macbook w/El Capitan/Mint 18.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 30/Mint 18.3/Mint 19.2
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

Return to “Installation & Boot”