Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TheMintyOne
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to install on a HP Pavilion 15-cw******

Post by TheMintyOne »

Hello all.

I have tried to install Mint on my wifes HP Pavilion 15-cw***** touchscreen AMD Ryzen 3 laptop with an NVMe drive but I keep getting the following messages:

Failed to open \EFI \BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi: Not Found
Failed to start MokManager: Not Found
Something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok-state() failed
:Not Found

I have read that others are having issues installing Linux on the official HP forums and are given answers like "That laptop is for Windows only"
And "The bios is locked for Windows only", the usual sidestepping instead of helping.

Searching suggested having TPM on and secure boot off. I tried both but the same thing happens.

I'd appreciate any help.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Unable to install on a HP Pavilion 15-cw******

Post by JeremyB »

When do you see the errors? After install or when trying to boot the install media? If it is after installing and trying to boot from the NVMe boot the install media then in terminal do

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
Select Create a Boot info summary and post the URL/results

TheMintyOne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMintyOne »

JeremyB wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:48 pm
When do you see the errors? After install or when trying to boot the install media? If it is after installing and trying to boot from the NVMe boot the install media then in terminal do

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
Select Create a Boot info summary and post the URL/results
Hi JeremyB,

It won't let me install Mint at all. I insert the Mint USB, boot, and it throws this error. I tried the installation media on my machine and it works fine.
Had the same issue with Zorin OS on the Ryzen laptop, even changing to a different NVMe drive to make sure the pre-istalled drive wasn't faulty.

My first thought were faulty hardware. Now I'm guessing the bios has been altered to stop any Linux disto from being installed.
I really hope this isn't the case. Damn shady practice if it is.
No one on the HP forums will give a straight answer.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

If you are trying to install Mint 19.3, try Mint 19 as there might be a difference in the installer

TheMintyOne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMintyOne »

JeremyB wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:10 pm
If you are trying to install Mint 19.3, try Mint 19 as there might be a difference in the installer
I did more digging and found this thread on the Ubuntu forums. It works!.......Phew.
Will post back if I have any issues. Thet sure don't make it easy to install Linux with newer machines, do they.....

Note: DO NOT delete pre-installed windows. You will need them to extract ACPI tables from your notebook's BIOS. Because Ubuntu in non-ACPI mode cannot see ACPI tables in BIOS, thus cannot extract them.

1) Simple solution: Boot ubuntu with turned off LAPIC and ACPI support (for me, olny Ubuntu 18.04.0 worked, no other version can boot as it seems. You can try other distro versions with other kernel versions):

In your BIOS, enable "Legacy support"
With your USB drive, interrupt POST process during HP logo by pressing F9. You should get to the blue Boot BIOS boot devices screen
Select "USB Device - 0.00" ( so no UEFI!)
You should now get booted to the violet Ubuntu boot screen, with a keyboard icon at the bottom. This is legacy (no UEFI) boot screen.
In Ubuntu boot menu, press F6 and change your boot paramenetrs to "nolapic acpi=off i8042.nopnp"

This should boot (and also install) Ubuntu, but "half" of the HW support (including CPU multicore support) is disabled with these settings. Still, it should get your Ubuntu booted and installed at least...

2) Complicated - but preferred and long term - solution (simplified): boot kernel with modified ACPI configuration in order to enable ACPI mode in Ubuntu:

In Windows, extract your ACPI tables from BIOS and store them somewhere safe
Decompile extracted FACP ACPI config table, modify value "reduced hardware support" from 1 to 0
Recompile your modified FACP table back to binary FACP.AML format
Create CPIO archive with this FACP.aml and provide it to your initrd kernel.

This should make your kernel boot with modified ACPI configuration, and full ACPI enabled. This is required to use a full potential of the laptop. This trick will also work on kernels 5.x.

It is ok to go for option 1), then once installed on SSD, you can try option 2) and update your installed kernel(s) with modified ACPI configs and remove the "nolapic acpi=off" boot modifiers to see if it worked :)

In detail, the above is discussed here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203431

Note1: It seems that (probably all?) kernels 5.x have already attached cpio archive with "AuthenticAMD.bin" firmware. This file must be preserved within cpio archive together with you modified FACP.aml, otherwise kernels 5.x will crash booting even with modified FACP.aml.

Note2: Touchscreen and (almost) full ACPI support works on my device ONLY when I have "Legacy support = Enabled" in BIOS and Ubuntu is installed (and booted) in UEFI mode.

Note3: Kernels 5.2.x and newer boot with these modifications too, but RealTek wifi driver support is being re-worked in new kernels now, so not working on these new HP ENVY devices for now...

What works: Almost everything: Ryzen on 4c/8t, temperature monitoring, CPU power governors, touchpad, keyboard, BlueTooth, Wifi, webcam, sound speakers, mic, 3D HW acceleration (yes - gaming!), HDMI video+audio out, HDMI out via USB-C,touchsreen...

What does not work: internal motion sensors (kernel driver is promised by AMD during August), suspend&resume -> ACPI needs more work. I' using hibernation to disk instead...

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

FWIW, there have been a number of threads on the MokManager problem lately. I'm wondering whether there's more than one bug, cf. this one, as the symptoms aren't uniform, nor are the solutions.

In my case (HP notebook with Insyde UEFI, F.48), I couldn't boot a live session or a known-good full install USB, even with secure boot disabled; ended up reflashing the firmware. bheney's experience was similar. southernpride1965 and robbedelarbre, solved the problem by reformatting the drive. In this thread (translated), Laurent85 suggests copying in a good bootloader to replace the corrupted one, but no follow-up to indicate whether it worked. isyourfridgerunning re-selected grub as an UEFI file trusted for executing. Apollo_richard solved the problem on an Acer by clearing the EFI key (how done not explained). tszkitc installed Mint 19.2, then upgraded to 19.3 (suggests bug might be specific to 19.3).

And there are a few threads with no reported resolution: sladyrko, stevev01, AndruWho.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Before you post, please read how to get help.

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

the manufacturer HP does seem to be producing some confluted hardware, lately.
& that is showing up in the various support forums.
- - sometimes, it is even affecting those who are attempting to re-install their Windows System.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=243338
are some ideas, that have worked on an HP machine .. there are other articles, as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

TheMintyOne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMintyOne »

pbear wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:50 am
FWIW, there have been a number of threads on the MokManager problem lately. I'm wondering whether there's more than one bug, cf. this one, as the symptoms aren't uniform, nor are the solutions.

In my case (HP notebook with Insyde UEFI, F.48), I couldn't boot a live session or a known-good full install USB, even with secure boot disabled; ended up reflashing the firmware. bheney's experience was similar. southernpride1965 and robbedelarbre, solved the problem by reformatting the drive. In this thread (translated), Laurent85 suggests copying in a good bootloader to replace the corrupted one, but no follow-up to indicate whether it worked. isyourfridgerunning re-selected grub as an UEFI file trusted for executing. Apollo_richard solved the problem on an Acer by clearing the EFI key (how done not explained). tszkitc installed Mint 19.2, then upgraded to 19.3 (suggests bug might be specific to 19.3).

And there are a few threads with no reported resolution: sladyrko, stevev01, AndruWho.
After enabling legacy support I was able to boot Mint from my USB flash drive.
Now for the other issues......

I cannot install windows and Mint as a dual boot system because windows isn't showing when installing Mint.
OK I though, must be a partition thing, nope. I've followed instructions to the letter on how to partition a drive for Mint alone but it remains the same.
Same with the boot manager, no Mint. The only way I can get to Mint is via the USB drive, and it still has the option to install Mint even though I have already installed it. Now the only option I have is erasing Mint or installing Mint next to Mint?!?!

I will try as you and others have suggested, wipe the drive completely and try a fresh install of Windows, then try installing Mint along side it.

Last but not least. A heads up to anyone trying to put a performance NVMe drive in these newer HP laptops....Dont!
I removed the pre-installed low end Samsung NVMe drive and put an EVO 970 in it's place thinking all would be well. It wasn't.
Samsung Magician showed the drive hitting temps near 80c and kept giving me a warning. The laptop fans also went into a panic.
Out it came and the original drive went back in. Shame really because many features the Samsung Evo / Pro drives offer aren't available on these low end NVMe's.
Last edited by TheMintyOne on Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheMintyOne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMintyOne »

Pierre wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:04 am
the manufacturer HP does seem to be producing some confluted hardware, lately.
& that is showing up in the various support forums.
- - sometimes, it is even affecting those who are attempting to re-install their Windows System.

are some ideas, that have worked on an HP machine .. there are other articles, as well.
Seems like the latest machines will remain Windows only until someone figures out a workaround.

Thanks for the link but my Mint installation won't show in the bios boot list at all.
Seems like the OP of that thread also had the same problem.

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Was never a HP fan.
I stick with ThinkPad & Acer legacy computers for Linux distros ... no issues so far.
The odd wifi driver issue would crop up and if Linux Mint didn't work Peppermint Linux would and vice versa.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

TheMintyOne wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:53 pm
I cannot install windows and Mint as a dual boot system because windows isn't showing when installing Mint.
This is the first time you've mentioned that you're attempting to install as dual boot. Nope, won't work with one OS in UEFI and the other in BIOS. With two devices, you could kludge it by selecting one or the other from firmware at boot, but not on a single device.

Anyhoo, does the "complicated" ACPI solution you mentioned earlier work in UEFI? If so, that's probably your best path forward.

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

TheMintyOne wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:58 pm
Seems like the latest machines will remain Windows only until someone figures out a workaround.

Thanks for the link but my Mint installation won't show in the bios boot list at all.
Mint does not show in bios-settings, so the trick is to make a fake-/EFI/Microsoft folder where grubx64.efi is renamed as bootmgfw.efi :wink:

TheMintyOne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMintyOne »

pbear wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:00 pm
TheMintyOne wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:53 pm
This is the first time you've mentioned that you're attempting to install as dual boot. Nope, won't work with one OS in UEFI and the other in BIOS. With two devices, you could kludge it by selecting one or the other from firmware at boot, but not on a single device.

Anyhoo, does the "complicated" ACPI solution you mentioned earlier work in UEFI? If so, that's probably your best path forward.
It worked fine with my 3 year old HP intel i7 laptop, so why not the 12 month old AMD model?

No, still no luck and I'm still looking for a solution :/

HP says it should work with both Intel and AMD machines but only offer links to Linux Kernels. I'll be honest, I'm still fairly new to Linux and would hate to mess things up.

TheMintyOne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMintyOne »

Minux1 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:19 pm
Was never a HP fan.
I stick with ThinkPad & Acer legacy computers for Linux distros ... no issues so far.
The odd wifi driver issue would crop up and if Linux Mint didn't work Peppermint Linux would and vice versa.
My 7 year old Acer works great with Mint. Had it as a dual Windows / Mint boot with no issues.

TheMintyOne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMintyOne »

kukamuumuka wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:25 am
TheMintyOne wrote:

Mint does not show in bios-settings, so the trick is to make a fake-/EFI/Microsoft folder where grubx64.efi is renamed as bootmgfw.efi :wink:
You'll have to explain how it's done to this noob, thanks!

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

OR

Stay clear of HP computers.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

TheMintyOne wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:55 pm
It worked fine with my 3 year old HP intel i7 laptop, so why not the 12 month old AMD model?
Dual boot is fine. It's having one system in UEFI and the other in BIOS which is the problem. If you're figured out a way to get Grub to work in that scenario, you'll be the first I've heard of. Don't suppose you remember how you pulled it off. Anyhoo, whatever it was, you'd have to do it again.

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

TheMintyOne wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:57 pm
kukamuumuka wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:25 am
TheMintyOne wrote:

You'll have to explain how it's done to this noob, thanks!
Do look again, at this Tutorial:
and look at this as well:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=293845&p=1631790
Do post, back, if you can't follow that.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

TheMintyOne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMintyOne »

OK OK I'm detecting sarcasm.

I haven't tried any of the lastest suggestions and instead wiped my wife's computer and installed Mint as the main OS.
Working great along with the touch screen, Can't see her complaining since the latest Windows 10 update has issues when shutting down.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Return to “Installation & Boot”