File System broken by Mint Update (Renewed)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ken_blackwell
Level 1
Level 1

File System broken by Mint Update (Renewed)

Post by ken_blackwell »

IT REALLY TURNED OUT TO BE FILE SYSTEM CORRUPTION CAUSED BY THE UPDATE.......SEE FURTHER DOWN....>>>>>IT CAME BACK WITH A LATER UPDATE AND REQUIRED running fsck -y /dev/sda1 to correct the corrupted file system.

The following is the initial submission....where the problem wasn't Grub related.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I did a routine Mint Update.....there was an error in the update resulting in my not being able to boot. I tried the usual boot repair recommended here in...but found that the boot partition had been removed. Here are the remaining partitions.

Code: Select all

/dev/sda1 ext4 458 Gib
/dev/sda2 extended 7.19 Gib
/dev/sda5 linux-swap 7.19 Gib
The computer is:

ASUS MB with AMD A10-6800K
Kernel 4.10-38-generic
Mint 18.3 64 bit, Cinnamon 3.6.6

This is a single boot installation with only Mint-Cinnamon.

When I tried the repair of viewtopic.php?t=207529 I got an error message that there wasn't an EFI partition. See the above list of partitions. I ran this from the live MInt-Cinnamon 64 bit on a USB stick.

1. Should I add the boot partition with Gparted and what specifications should I use?

2. While operating Mint 18.3 live USB...I can't backup the home directory. What I would like to do is just copy the Home directory to an external HD. How do I do this?

Thanks,

Ken
klblackw@yahoo.com
Last edited by ken_blackwell on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Grub broken by Mint Update

Post by gm10 »

Sounds more like you switched the boot mode from legacy/CSM mode to UEFI mode. Switch it back (in your BIOS) and you'll likely be able to boot.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools
ken_blackwell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ken_blackwell »

Thanks for the reply. I checked and it is already set to legacy CSM mode.

After failing to boot, a utility called initramfs appears....for which I have no idea as to what to do with this. This is what made me think that the grub bootloader had been damaged during system update.

Remember: I was doing a routine system update and got errors. Then, when I tried to reboot...I received the boot failure. I didn't mess with the bios in between.

Thanks,

Ken
asinoro
Level 5
Level 5

Post by asinoro »

Can you post from Live USB:

sudo blkid
and

inxi -Fxz
Last edited by asinoro on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

ken_blackwell wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:29 am
After failing to boot, a utility called initramfs appears....for which I have no idea as to what to do with this. This is what made me think that the grub bootloader had been damaged during system update.
No, that means GRUB works fine, but the kernel interrupted the boot due to an error, usually a corrupt file system. Type exit and it'll tell you the problem, likely it'll want you to run a file system repair:

sudo fsck -y /dev/sdXY
(replace sdXY with the actual device name it tells you)
Last edited by karlchen on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: prefixed missing "sudo " to the "fsck command", see post below
ken_blackwell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ken_blackwell »

gm10,

You are right on the mark.... I only had to add sudo in front of the fsck command sequence. I'm back up and running.

Thank You, Thank You.....!!!

Ken
asinoro
Level 5
Level 5

Post by asinoro »

ken_blackwell wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:38 pm
I tried the usual boot repair recommended here in...but found that the boot partition had been removed. Here are the remaining partitions.
Good that you manage to boot again to your OS. Which boot partition had been removed?
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

ken_blackwell wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:42 am
Thank You, Thank You.....!!!
You're welcome. Don't forget to mark the thread as solved by editing the first post and adding [SOLVED] to the subject line. :)
caramba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by caramba »

Seem similar to what I experienced. If the EFI partition is damaged with an ASUS motherboard you may become unable to start the system due to faulty starting of subsystems. You need an EFI partition (a fat32 partition at the beginning of a disk with ESP & boot flags (to be checked) with size around 100 M)
and if this partition is empty the live will use defaults and the information it has by itself to rebuild it. But if it is not empty and damaged you get into trouble.
Other issues are also possible, but this is one I experienced after an update
ken_blackwell
Level 1
Level 1

Re: File System broken by Mint Update (Renewed)

Post by ken_blackwell »

Folks.....the above was only temporary fix.

When I did another update, it did the same thing causing a corruption of the file system relating to inodes and blocks count.

Remember I'm running 18.3.....at least until I can get this fixed and data backed up.

Is this an error on the Linux Mint update system or WHAT? I have some screen photo .jpg at the initinal initramfs and another completing the fsck. If any of you Mint managers want to see them I can send them.

I used fsck -y /dev/sda1 after exiting

Thanks a bunch.

Ken
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Ken.

What does this mean?
I used fsck -y /dev/sda1 after exiting
You cannot run fsck on /dev/sda1, while the root filesystem / on /dev/sda1 is mounted. So after which "exit" did you use it?

Anyway. In case your root file system keeps on experiencing file system corruption (after running Update Manager or not), then more likely than not your disk device may have a technical problem. Or your main memory has turned bad causing corrupted data being written to the (intact) disk device. Update Manager does not cause file system corruption as such. Has never done on any of my (old) machines for the past 10 years.

So instead of blaming Update Manager, it may be wiser checking the disk health with Smartmon Tools.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
ken_blackwell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ken_blackwell »

OK....I understand that Update can't break the file system.....but it certainly occurred immediately following an update. As I remember, there was some item of the update which failed and left the RED-X as the Update Icon in the lower right of the panel. The boot failure occurred immediately upon a reboot trial.

The way that I fixed it was to issue EXIT from the initramfs prompt. At this point it stated that the /sda1 had file problems. (I have a photo of this). Then, I executed the fsck command as stated above. Following the fsck execution the file system was repaired and the system booted normally. [This is following the instructions provided above]

After reading the last reply to my post, and as suggested, I ran GSmartControl for the sda drive. No errors were detected.

Then, I ran Mint Update where there was one item to be updated (can't remember what). This worked fine without error. Next I rebooted the machine and the reboot was normal.

So, I still don't know what happened on the two occasions where the file system was corrupted after an UPDATE.

Thanks,

Ken

Return to “Installation & Boot”