Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vineyridge
Level 3
Level 3

Mate 19.3 from flash drive

Post by vineyridge »

I have an old BIOS computer with 64 bit Cinnamon 19.1 and 19.3 installed on a single HDD. I decided to see if I like the Mate version better than Cinnamon, so I downloaded the 32 bit .iso from Mint. 32 bit because it's an old computer and I wanted to see if it would be more stable with the 32 bit version.
.iso is on one Sandisc Cruzer. I followed the Mint instructions, told the computer to make the bootable .iso with the image writer utility on another, bought today, Sandisc Cruzer , and waited for it to write, which it did quite happily. I then rebooted, went to my BIOS (ASUS) and told it to make "removable disc" number one in boot priority. Rebooted again, and the computer refuses to boot from the flash drive.

I have no problems booting from my CDROM drive, and I could copy the .iso to a CD, but would prefer to have it on a flash drive.

Is my problem my old computer that doesn't recognize the flash drive as bootable or do I need to do something else before it becomes bootable?

I have checked the checksum, and it's okay. The other thread with a person having the same problem I seem to having is of no help at all.

I may have figured it out by playing around in the BIOS. It seems that the computer treats a flash drive like a HDD, so I had to go into the Hard Disk Priority menu, move the USB stick to #1, and then enter it as #1 in boot priority. But it seems that this BIOS will only use one Hard Disk in the boot priority because when I did that, it removed the normal HD boot drive from the available boot priority list. So, after booting to Mate 19.3 to see if it worked, when I rebooted I had to go into the BIOS and reset the boot priority options. PITA.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mate 19.3 from flash drive

Post by pbear »

A few thoughts.

1. If it's a 64 bit computer, use the 64 bit version.

2. Be aware Mint requires a DVD, as a CD is too small. OTOH, if the computer has a DVD drive, no reason to get all fussed over USB boot.

3. I've never used it, but I believe Plop Boot Manager is supposed to do what you're after. Search the Forum and (of course) the internet.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Before you post, please read how to get help.

linux_trojan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_trojan »

First thing he has to do is set the BIOS to boot from USB, right?

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

linux_trojan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:19 am
First thing he has to do is set the BIOS to boot from USB, right?
That's how it works now, but USB boot hasn't always been supported.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Before you post, please read how to get help.

JEFFTUX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JEFFTUX »

If you have a key to stroke, while the bios boots, to access a menu choice (I have F12) for booting, hit the key and you'll have the choice to boot on the removable usb, since the hard drive will get the priority...good luke

Return to “Installation & Boot”