Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
openletter
Level 1
Level 1

Install of Mint to new drive broke GRUB on old drive

Post by openletter »

I have a ThinkPad W530 with Mint on an SSD and I got a great deal on an mSATA, so I installed Mint to the mSATA with the SSD Mint still installed on the laptop. Note that each drive was encrypted during Mint installation.

When I attempted to boot to the SSD, there was a message about not being able to connect to device <super long string of characters> and entered grub rescue mode, which I didn't even know was a thing (command prompt is 'grub rescue' instead of just 'grub').

I was able to bring the SSD back with the following steps:

Code: Select all

grub rescue> set prefix =(hd0,msdos1)/grub
grub rescue> set root=(hd0,msdos1)
grub rescue> insmod normal
grub rescue> normal
After that the SSD boots up without issue.

Any idea why this would happen?

Are there further repairs or checks I should perform?

Is there an easy way to create a header backup? I have an image backup, but in the event something more serious happens, I'd rather not have to dig into that just to extract the header. It seems like something that would be in the Disks utility.

Is there some sort of issue with having to separate OS drives installed at the same time?
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Install of Mint to new drive broke GRUB on old drive

Post by pbear »

Can't help with the encryption question, but the simple answer to why this happened is that the last Linux system installed generally controls Grub. There are ways to prevent this, e.g., installing Grub to the root partition of the new system (where, of course, it doesn't boot anything). That how I generally manage my multi-boot test box (on USB drive), but I don't know what wrinkles there might be doing this for encrypted systems.

Return to “Installation & Boot”