Inode extent tree could be narrower HELP!!!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TGPB
Level 1
Level 1

Inode extent tree could be narrower HELP!!!

Post by TGPB »

I accidentally unplugged my desktop. Now it won't boot up. If I go into recovery mode option I see a lot of thiInode ####### extent tree (at level 1) could be narrower. Ignored

Then at the end it says run fsck manually
fsck exited with status code 4
Failure: file system check of the root filesystem failed
The root filesystem on /dev/saw requires a manual fsck
:cry:
deck_luck
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Inode extent tree could be narrower HELP!!!

Post by deck_luck »

Normally, the fsck preen mode is used for automatic fsck. The preen mode will exit with 4 if it discovers an exceptional error causing user intervention to continue. Unless an i/o error was reported this will most likely cause a file or inode to be incomplete and stored in the root of the file system in the lost+found directory. Is /dev/saw device really were your root file system is located? That does not sound right. You can attempt to clear potential corrupt area by running the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo e2fsck -fy /dev/saw
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
TGPB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TGPB »

How do I get a command prompt to type in the command?
TGPB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TGPB »

It is /dev/sda2

But not sure how to get to a command prompt. At the end of it trying to load in recovery mode I end up with (initramfs)_
The _ is flashing.
deck_luck
Level 6
Level 6

Post by deck_luck »

Use the same Live image you booted to perform the initial Linux installation. Select the try Linux option instead of the install. It will boot up in to a live Linux environment. You can access the terminal application to run the bash command line. You need to check the device names again, because they may change after booting the live media. Use the lsblk -f command to help confirm the device name.
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
deck_luck
Level 6
Level 6

Post by deck_luck »

How are you doing?

Return to “Installation & Boot”