Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED) USB Drive not showing up in boot menu Windows 10

Post by JTemple »

USB Drive was set up with Rufus. I am now trying to use it to boot for the mint install but it only offer CD/DVD, no USB option. Where do I go from here?
Last edited by JTemple on Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell

Kadaitcha Man
Level 8
Level 8

Re: USB Drive not showing up in boot menu Windows 10

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

JTemple wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:09 pm
Where do I go from here?
To the BIOS settings section of the manual for your motherboard or machine.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

JTemple wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:09 pm
... it only offer CD/DVD, no USB option.
How old is the hardware? USB boot has been standard for a long time (ten years?).

Anyhoo, if you really don't have it, there are two options. First, burn the ISO to DVD. Don't know what Win10 tool to use for that. Second would be to use something called Plop Manager, but can't tell you anything about it more than that several users on the Forum have reported it works.

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JTemple »

USB is in BIOS & Settings appear to be correct. When it did try to boot I got the error, No OS found. So I tried to start the process over from scratch, Deleted both Mint & Rufus. Cleaned my PC with Ccleaner including DNS Cache, cleared all the data on my browser and started over with a fresh download of mint and a fresh download of Rufus. BUT now Rufus refuses to work at all! It is frozen as shown here:
Rufus.jpg
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

Sorry, I don't know what's going wrong. FWIW, I downloaded that version (I had 3.8 ) and it works fine for me.

Another good USB burning app for Windows is UUI. Also a portable.

asinoro
Level 5
Level 5

Post by asinoro »

Just to give you ideas, it is for Windows:https://www.ubackup.com/windows-10/wind ... rking.html

pebcak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pebcak »

Another piece of softwrae for making bootable USB:
https://www.balena.io/etcher/

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JTemple »

pebcak wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:03 am
Another piece of software for making bootable USB:
Have you ever used etcher? I'd love to hear from someone that has used it for Windows 10. (It looks suspiciously simple!!)

As with all things computer, my problem could be the the particular USB drive, the particular (refurbished) PC, the exact edition of Windows 10 (IE: updates & changes since creation), whether it was an upgrade on Windows 7 or the full fresh Windows 10. Then there is the question of which bootable USB creator this specific machine/OS gets along with best. In my experience, things that are said to be dead simple in PC world RARELY come without hurdles. (How I miss the days of computing in the 80's, before the big guys figured out how to have such major control over us! BUT not to worry, it was all done to "serve you better!")

As I write this, I am doing a full NTFS format on the USB drive. It is my hope that the Rufus software will function again if I have fully cleaned all last attempts to create a functional USB Boot drive.

The real trouble is that with Windows 10 every update steals away more control, Windows 10 works slightly differently on every make and model of PC and they make user control as difficult as possible and hide more functions at every major (rebuild) update. The the major reason I want to leave Microsoft is I am fed up with ever deeper data collection and MS telling me what I may do and forcing me to do it their way. Not to mention, every update, these days, means hours of work for me looking to find what they phucked up and figure out how to fix it. Not long ago, they gave me a black screen of death and it persisted through 4 hard boots! When I got the PC back I uninstall the update. Worse, MS knows of problems they create and created a tool to search out and remove buggy updates! (That assumes you can get your PC back long enough to use said tool!)

An aside, in Rufus, if I get it functioning again, I do want to check the wipe drive option for a Linux only machine, is that correct? Also, Windows demands NTFS or exFAT to format it has no other options, default in Rufus is Fat32, what format option do I want to choose in Rufus? Also note that both old and new PC are Windows of which only one is to be fully Linux, if I ever get there.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

I always use the defaults in Rufus. Have never had a problem. Ditto UUI (linked above). In my experience, Etcher in Windows works when the ISO is originally burned to USB drive, but for reasons I've never seen explained commonly develops amnesia, i.e., later loses the ability to boot.

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JTemple »

Rufus is still refusing to function. So I downloaded PendriveUUI;it , at least is working but it does not have a "Default" format:
PendriveUUI.JPG
Do I choose Tat 32 or NTFS (I suspect, if I want it to work on Windows 10, I should choose the NTFS)

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

JTemple wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:10 pm
Do I choose Tat 32 or NTFS
I always use FAT32, but I expect either works fine .

ETA: I take that back, on testing NTFS, had trouble booting in UEFI.
Might be operator error, but easy enough to use FAT32.

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Re: etcher destroys USB Drives

Post by JTemple »

pebcak wrote:
Bad move, I ran etcher on my Lexar 256GB, USB 3.0, Jumpdrive. That's it, the drive can not be reformatted either fully or quickly or to restored defaults. I think I just burned a $100.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

Or it's a defective flash drive. Rather more likely, IMHO, given you've had problems with multiple USB burning apps.

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JTemple »

pbear wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:13 pm
Or it's a defective flash drive. Rather more likely, IMHO, given you've had problems with multiple USB burning apps.
Well, another $100 & a new one on the way. This time a san disk as recommended by Pendrive.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

By the way, why are you using such a large drive for this purpose? A 4 GB drive would be plenty. Doesn't even matter (much) whether it's 2.0 or 3.0. You're just booting a live session which will copy files to target. I use my old flash drives for burning ISOs. New/large ones get other jobs.

cday
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cday »

I would suggest next time following the instructions in the Mint documentation exactly: after you have downloaded an appropriate ISO the bootable disk is created using the absolutely minimal Etcher interface.

The bootable USB drive only needs to be 16GB or so large, or less reading the above new post, so any cheap and expendable drive can be used.

And something that confused me first time: the downloaded ISO should not be placed on the USB to be flashed, place it anywhere else that is convenient, along with Etcher.

With respect to the BIOS, a separate issue which you have possibly already solved, when I set up my modern UEFI laptop recently there was no option in the settings to boot from USB, but when a bootable USB was inserted in the laptop an option to boot from the USB was displayed immediately after a restart (I think, from memory, or possibly the option was available in the BIOS after inserting the USB stick).

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JTemple »

pbear wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:26 pm
By the way, why are you using such a large drive for this purpose? A 4 GB drive would be plenty. Doesn't even matter (much) whether it's 2.0 or 3.0. You're just booting a live session which will copy files to target. I use my old flash drives for burning ISOs. New/large ones get other jobs.
I got a drive based on the recommendation at Pendrivelinux.com and thought I could/would use it as my backup drive after installation. Being a Know-Nothing, I follow recommendations and instructions to the letter; I am good at taking instruction & that usually works quite well. It has not been working out quite so well for me this time. I really hope the new USB Drive will be happy with either Rufus or UUI! On a positive note, BestBuy.ca has agreed to a return/refund on the Lexar USB drive. The new one is also 256GB purchased from the Amazon link at Pendrivelinux.com
Recommended USB drives.JPG

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

The problem with that strategy is that you want to keep the USB drive for booting a Mint live session. It's your emergency repair tool. For example, if an update prevents your computer from booting, the live USB is how you boot and restore a Timeshift snapshot (functionally equivalent to Windows' System Restore). The live USB also is useful for working with partitions, doing file system checks, etc.

cday, I've already explained why I recommend against Etcher. I've tested multiple times, using different flash drives and had the amnesia problem pretty much every time. Meanwhile, Rufus is what Ubuntu recommends for Windows users. Whereas Mint does no testing on Windows as far as I can tell.

pebcak
Level 1
Level 1

Re: etcher destroys USB Drives

Post by pebcak »

JTemple wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:09 pm
pebcak wrote:
Bad move, I ran etcher on my Lexar 256GB, USB 3.0, Jumpdrive. That's it, the drive can not be reformatted either fully or quickly or to restored defaults. I think I just burned a $100.
I am truly sorry to hear that. I have used Etcher at several occasions, both on Windows and thier appimage on different Gnu/Linux systems, and it has always worke fine for me. As @pbear noted above, it could be due to a defective drive at the first place. Perhaps there are ways to recuperate it, but at this point I feel I would ratehr let other to make any suggestions on that.

Oldfatbeerman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oldfatbeerman »

I have spent the last 24 hrs going around in circles with this exact problem . I spent countless hours yesterday reading guides and watching videos but every one of them showed it being done with windows boot manager , but , I expect a recent update to windows security has stopped that route from being useable , it has to be a security update because I had stopped any other updates from occurring via the metered connection tab a few years ago . Short answer to my solution was to access the Bios / Uefi set up and turn off safeboot and change the setting of uefi to legacy , then I altered the boot order so the USB option was #1 on the list . This then had the boot I needed to overwrite the disc and install Mint while destroying :D the OEM windows 10 abomination . I originally started out trying to dual boot mint with 10 , but windows / Microsoft throws up so many walls to stop that happening I cracked the shits :twisted: and dumped the win 10 altogether . Nothing I did allowed the USB to be seen by windows boot manager , so I did the bios route as a last resort . Cheering now as I am using my fresh install of mint OS to type here now . I used Balena Etcher to mount the iso on an old 8 GB verbatim usb stick and it worked just fine , but , when I tried to see what was on that drive before getting the bios changes done , windows showed an old overwritten file name and showed no content on the drive . It was a bad experience from a frustration and sleep deprivation perspective that is for sure . Pleased with the outcome though .

Return to “Installation & Boot”