Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gamesbook
Level 1
Level 1

Install fails on Dell Latitude 5501

Post by gamesbook »

The company has given me a machine with Windows 10 installed (Dell Latitude 5501). I am now trying to co-install Mint 19.3.

I have disabled Windows Fast start-up.

I have made the following changes in BIOS:

* Disable secure boot
* SATA is set to use AHCI

Eventually the boot gives a series of messages saying "rcu_sched detected stalls on CPUs/tasks"

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2310612 suggests using nomodeset instead of quiet splash. If I do this then eventually I get to the mint login prompt. If I use "mint" as the login name and then press Enter when the password prompt appears, I get this error as well as a "login incorrect" message.
EXT4-fs error (device loop0): ext4_lookup :1575 : inode#26445 ...
I appreciate any help here as searching has not shown me any other clues that seem relevant.

Derek

JOPETA
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Install fails on Dell Latitude 5501

Post by JOPETA »

1)It looks like a wrong Mint Live installation media and you say nothing about the way you've created it. Did you follow Linux Mint Installation guide?. Notice there would be a different grub menu depending on if Mint Live is booting in EFI or BiOS mode. LM 19.3 grub menu booting in EFI mode is as follows. Is this the GRUB menu you see?
inicio UEFI.png
If it is not and you get the next one, try pressing your one-time boot menu key (F12??) as soon as you power on the PC and be sure you choose the EFI option for that device (not the one with only DVD/USB drive identification).
inicio BIOS.png
2)As you can see the grub menu, did you check the integrity of the installation media?.

3)Even if those message are given on booting, can you boot w/o doing anything else? Did you try starting in compatibility mode?

4)In a normal booting, the live session begins with auto-login (no need for manual login). Did you wait enough time?
Last edited by JOPETA on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)

gamesbook
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install fails on Dell Latitude 5501

Post by gamesbook »

The Mint installer was given to me by someone else. As you say, it could have been faulty. It did however start up on another (older) laptop without problems.

Based on what I read elsewhere, I then obtained a copy of Mint 19.1 (created with https://unetbootin.github.io under Windows 10) to try.

Installation with the 19.1 version was flawless (I did not change anything else on the machine) - so either there was an issue with 19.3 on this laptop, or the first installer was not created perfectly.

I appreciate the reply.

Return to “Installation & Boot”