Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
GELvdH
Level 3
Level 3

Password won't work (Resolved)

Post by GELvdH »

I have a dual boot (Mint - Windows) system. I was looking through my filesystem when I must have hit some key inadvertently (Fat fingers when you get old) and it asked whether I wanted to delete my junk files, I said yes and didn't think anything of it but when I tried to boot up later it would come to the logon screen and I could enter my password, it would cycle through the blank screen and return to the logon screen no matter what I tried. I don't want to reinstall Mint but if that is my only solution so be it. Help.
Last edited by GELvdH on Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Password won't work

Post by absque fenestris »

...when I must have hit some key inadvertently (Fat fingers when you get old) and it asked whether I wanted to delete my junk files, I said yes...
:?:

Somehow difficult to understand. When it comes to the system, nothing works, but really nothing without root, sudo and password input - at the latest then you should be aware that the substance is now in question...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Password won't work

Post by Flemur »

GELvdH wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:30 am
I must have hit some key inadvertently (Fat fingers when you get old) and it asked whether I wanted to delete my junk files,
What is "it" and was did "it" really say "junk files"?
I said yes and didn't think anything of it but when I tried to boot up later it would come to the logon screen and I could enter my password, it would cycle through the blank screen and return to the logon screen no matter what I tried. I don't want to reinstall Mint but if that is my only solution so be it. Help.
Is sounds like your password is OK but you broke your graphics session.

Try Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get a console, login as yourself (it'll complain if there's a password problem), see if you still have .Xauthority file (use ls -a .X* to check)

Code: Select all

$ ls -a .X*
.Xauthority  .Xresources
also look in the file .xsession-errors for ... errors.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Installation & Boot”