Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
everett05
Level 1
Level 1

how to copy files off a existing linux mint partition from a live usb

Post by everett05 »

I tried to install some drivers for a program, and now my laptop won't get past the manufacturer's logo when I try to boot into Linux. I've think messed up my Linux partition and want to just copy some important files off of it before I reinstall, but I can't figure out how to get the permissions to copy. I'm currently in a live usb, and I can also boot into Windows if I need to, but it seems I can't get into Linux. How can I get files off of the Linux partition if I'm using a live usb.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: how to copy files off a existing linux mint partition from a live usb

Post by Flemur »

everett05 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:04 am
I tried to install some drivers for a program, and now my laptop won't get past the manufacturer's logo when I try to boot into Linux. I've think messed up my Linux partition and want to just copy some important files off of it before I reinstall, but I can't figure out how to get the permissions to copy. I'm currently in a live usb, and I can also boot into Windows if I need to, but it seems I can't get into Linux. How can I get files off of the Linux partition if I'm using a live usb.
You can't figure out how to copy the files, or you've figured it out and have permission problems when you try it?

Windows can't read ext4, etc, filesystems.

You should be able to boot a LiveMedia and copy the files to a new partition or to another USB drive. IIRC, you're essentially 'root' when you're running LiveMedia, so permissions aren't an issue - if you use a terminal, use "cp -ax" to preserve the files' attributes (owner, permissions, IIRC creation date).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

you should be able to navigate to the HDDs partitions, with that LinuxMint Live Media,
& then copy & paste with your mouse, onto another drive ..

what I've also found, when dealing with large numbers of files & folders,
is to actually cut & paste, as when there was any errors, when copying any folders,
& it was rather tricky to work out, just what had actually been copied out.
so, by using the cut & paste, either via the mouse, or via the keyboard,
it was the files that were still within those folders, that had *not* been copied out,
& thus were more obvious to repeat any needed copy .. .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
everett05
Level 1
Level 1

Post by everett05 »

Yes my operating system is backup up, although it's from roughly a week ago and it would be nice to get some more recent files.
I tried dragging the user folder from the home folder to and I got a ton of errors because I don't have permission to access some of the folders.
jackerbes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jackerbes »

From Windows, like with Windows Explorer, it will not show you the Linux partitions or files. Linux uses ext4 partitions and Windows uses ntfs.

If you make a CD or USB stick you can use the gparted program to make a copy of the Linux partition to a USB connected hard drive or USB stick. And when you get your Linux partitions restored or reinstalled then you could copy the files back into the new install.

gparted - https://gparted.org/index.php

gparted will show your all of the partitions on the hard drive, the attached image is an example of a hard drive with a dual boot Windows and Linux operating system. In most cases you want to install Windows first and then install Linux and it will set up the dual boot system as it installs Linux.

Another good utility for working with Linux and Windows partitions is the clonezilla live application, again using it after booting from a CD or USB stick:

https://clonezilla.org/downloads/downlo ... nch=stable

And browsing various threads here will give some good examples and shared wisdom on using Mint Linux on a shared Windows/Linux system.

Jack

gpart view of a hard drive -
180912_dev-sda-all.png
Mint 18.3 and 19, 64-bit, Cinnamon, Lenovo ThinkPad T520 laptop, ASUS Z-97 desktop, Samsung S6 Android phone
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, ME, USA
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

although it's from roughly a week ago and it would be nice to get some more recent files.
sometimes i do not understand a word in these forums. i know translation may be involved here but even so what does this mean
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

If you are really stuck you can install ext2fs in windows to read ext4 partitions.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

everett05 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:31 am
I tried dragging the user folder from the home folder to and I got a ton of errors because I don't have permission to access some of the folders.
Sounds to me like you have a more fundamental problem. As Flemur says, permissions mean almost nothing in a live session. To prove that's not the issue, right-click somewhere blank in File Manager and select Open as Root/Admin. Now you have super powers. If still can't copy ...

Maybe run a file system check? sudo fsck -fy /dev/sda1 (or whatever partition has the files you're trying to save).
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

trytip wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:54 am
although it's from roughly a week ago and it would be nice to get some more recent files.
sometimes i do not understand a word in these forums. i know translation may be involved here but even so what does this mean
I'd suggest that his backup is a week old and he wants to recover the more recent files.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Installation & Boot”