Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Help! Can't boot old install, nor install LM 19.3

Post by Rehdon »

Hi guys,
hope someone can help since it seems I managed to mess up my computer for good :(

I added a new SSD to have a little more space, then when I restarted my computer I was faced by a black screen.

OK, probably moving around stuff messed up the grub installation, let's try to recover it. Tried with both boot repair and grub customizer, no joy.

Ok, I wanted to install LM 19.3 in any case, so let's get on with that. But install always failed because apparently there is an EFI partition that couldn't be mounted properly, and the process always hanged at the "Removing not nedeed software" stage.

So I tried to fiddle with the BIOS settings, and I guess this is where I did something wrong, like disabling and then re-enabling secure boot, because now the computer will just show 4 lines of text about stuff it doesn't find ("Something went seriously wrong": yeah, you bet!!!) and then turning it off all by itself.

Since this is my main work box, I really hope someone can explain how to fix it! Things were waaay easier with the old BIOSes :(

Many thanks in advance,

R
Last edited by Rehdon on Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Help! Can't boot old install, nor install LM 19.3

Post by deepakdeshp »

Can you post output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
after booting from live USB?
You can follow
https://www.tecmint.com/linux-mint-inst ... guide/amp/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Hello deepakdeshp,
thank you for your reply. After I tried again this morning, the USB drive with the image booted fine and I managed to install LM 19.3. So all's well and good, but I couldn't understand what happened: I guess after I fiddled with the secure boot settings booting the USB drive in non-UEFI mode was the required thing.

If you or anyone else has a good guide to EFI/UEFI and Linux I'd be glad to read it, so that I am more prepared next time this happens (hopefully not, but you know, better safe than sorry).

All best,

R
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
I hope youcan help members on the forum too.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Thanks for the link. I would very much like to help, I've contributed to Linux documentation in the past (Mandrake Linux), but I'm afraid that my knowledge is quite out of date. Too many new things both in hardware and software :)

All best,

R

Return to “Installation & Boot”