Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
hatrack
Level 1
Level 1

Strange boot problem due to nVidia driver [SOLVED]

Post by hatrack »

Hi all,
I have been running Linux Mint as part of a dual boot system with Win 7 very satisfactorily for several years and I am now at ver 18.3. A few days ago, I decided to clean up the system and get rid of Win 7 which I am no longer using and I also decided that I may as well upgrade to ver 19.3 at the same time.
This all went smoothly but I found this latest version very sluggish and that it did not offer me any advantages, so I re-installed ver: 18.3. This also went smoothly and LM now has all 300 GB of disc space.
This morning, I was making the last small changes to the "Look and Feel" and I found a minor quirk in the display. Now, during installation I had loaded the latest version of the nVidia driver.
So, I looked at Drivers and found I could install an older version which I had employed previously/. So, I selected this and initiated the change. When I rebooted, I discovered to my dismay that the system is only launching a very limited guest profile, even though I try to log on using my administrator user-name and password.
So, I can no longer get the necessary authority to change the nVidea driver back. Can anyone advise me how to recover from this situation ?
Thanks in advance and best regards to all on this forum - -
hatrack
Last edited by hatrack on Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Strange boot problem due to nVidia driber

Post by trytip »

since you already re-installed i would suggest re-installing again. don't install any drivers until you get a successful first boot and then do upgrades and reboot a few times

only then you should open a thread about installing drivers. now you might as well do 19.3 again because 20.04 is here and soon you will be left behind

such suckiness in ubuntu we have to constantly reinstall systems and never able to carry over personal customization which mostly broke with updates.
hatrack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hatrack »

Hi trytip ,
I thank you for your quick reply but I am afraid this advice is not going to help me.
I will explain - - -

As part of the original work, I backed up all my data. Subsequently, after my install of ver 18.3, I transferred all this data back into the new installation and I have tested and have found that it is all there, correctly sorted into its dirs.. So, I no longer have backups. Clearly, if I followed your advice, I would simply have a new system but no data.
All my data is behind that corrupted nVidia driver so this is the item I need to fix.

Thank you for reading my post and replying.
Best regards,
hatrack
thomas.raines
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thomas.raines »

I have ran in to a similar problem before. What worked for me was to boot into the live usb, mount the borked drive, and manually copy the data to a separate drive. Then you can simply reinstall mint, restore your data, reboot and make sure everything works. After stability has been verified, make a backup with timeshift for the operating system and Backup Tool for data. Then move to installing updates and drivers. One other thing you can do, is download an older version of the driver to a separate drive (again, booting with live usb), reboot and in grub select advanced options, recovery. Once in recovery, drop a root shell, mount and navigate to your device with the driver on it, and install it. I have done both successfully on multiple occasions.
hatrack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hatrack »

To thomas.raines,

Thank you very much for this suggestion.

Although I am elderly and long retired, I still do on-line research so there is over six years' worth of data behind that corrupted logon. I am going to proceed very slowly and carefully so it will probably take me more than a day to do this. I'll post again when I have something definite to report.

Thank you again for taking the trouble to read my original post and for making this suggestion.

Best regards,
hatrack
hatrack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hatrack »

To thomas.raines,

I am pleased to report that I followed your suggestion and that I have completely recovered my system. There is some configuration work still to do but that's a trivial matter.

Thank you again for providing this help.
Best regrds,
hatrack
thomas.raines
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thomas.raines »

hatrack wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:21 am
To thomas.raines,

I am pleased to report that I followed your suggestion and that I have completely recovered my system. There is some configuration work still to do but that's a trivial matter.

Thank you again for providing this help.
Best regrds,
hatrack
I'm happy I could help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”