Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bc1x
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Complete Linux Novice needs help.

Post by bc1x »

Found this very helpful thread. Best of all, the author, strider2038, has the same UEFI, Insyde v. 1.03.

Summary:
1) Enter UEFI & disable Secure Boot. Despite the heavy Russian accent, best video found here.
2) Courtesy of brummyfan2 from the Acer Community forum, Main tab, click "Optane without RAID" to change to AHCI, save change & exit.
ceedy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ceedy »

Sorry for the delay in replying, been ordered :roll: :lol: to strip and paint the front door during the lockdown.

But while its undercoat is drying !! ...back to play on the acer. :D

You are corect in that this little machine has a built in Solid state ram, and the Minty is installed on it .

I found that during initial install i could not get the acer to recognise and bootable USB's without disabling UEFI and using legacy.
All installed and runs well using this .

Done a change to UEFI incuding the disabling of secure boot in the Bios and then it will not boot with the report " no bootable devices found" this inludes the USB stick and the Inbuilt solid state 32Gb eMMC .
Change back to legacy in the bios and all is well ( slow booting ;-) ) .

Gone thro' about the first 5 routines supplied by Damien and boot time seems to have dropped to 2.5 minutes so far .

Have tried the USB bootable installer drive in both the USB2 and USB3 ports since the secure boot was disabled, still does not seen any bootable devices in the USB 2 port , but if in the USB 3 port I get this report now.. ( see pic)

https://i.imgur.com/yemZu67.jpg

sorry can't seem to get any image showing up here ?

wondering if there is something to alter in creating the USB boot drive , I use rufus in default settings to creat from the ISO ?? and install it with UEFi enabled ?

prob back to painting in a short while :roll:

Chris
Last edited by ceedy on Sun May 10, 2020 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koning Mint

Post by Koning Mint »

@bc1x

What is your issue :?:
ceedy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ceedy »

Very Slow boot up time was + 3minutes

Slower that the original windows8 and even windows 10 ( tried both) :lol:

C
Last edited by ceedy on Mon May 11, 2020 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ceedy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ceedy »

booting up slower than windows 8 & 10 :shock:
bc1x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bc1x »

Stripping & painting are great counterbalances to mental tasks. As Rumpole of the Bailey said of Hilda, "she who must be obeyed".

Aha, the plot thickens...

So 19.3 Xfce was installed to the SSD in Legacy Mode; which is like the old BIOS, not the new fangled UEFI!

The reason you can't boot with UEFI is explained in strider2028's thread; namely, you must enable AHCI.

Suggestions for installing with UEFI :
1) Verify your .iso.
2) Burn .iso with etcher, because it is not necessary to set parameters. If you are more comfortable with Rufus, be certain to set the Partition Scheme to GPT & the Target System to UEFT (non-CSM).
3) The installation guide (vide supra) is lengthy, but written very clearly. The only thing to avoid is flashing firmware. Some over at the Acer Community Fora have run into trouble or bricked their devices. Insyde v. 1.03 worked for strider, so it's better to stick with it. Go slowly, copy & paste the commands. It is not difficult, if you don't rush.
ceedy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ceedy »

This acer hasn't got any extra settings in the bios ... just .. UEFI or Legacy ,, & secure boot on or Off.

With setting as is .. New USB made with Rufus and GPT etc ...

USB will not not run. :shock:

Made a USB with Etcher just in case ... try to boot with UEFI and get same result as with Rufus..

:roll:
AndyMH
Level 15
Level 15

Post by AndyMH »

It is not going to boot any faster in UEFI mode compared to legacy. With mint or win installed in legacy mode, it is not going to find anything bootable off your existing drives. It could be that the BIOS does not allow for booting from USB in UEFI mode. I am still not clear whether you have win installed to eMMC and mint on the SD card (which will always be slow). Post the output of sudo parted -l (lower case L). This will show us what drives you have and what partitions are on them.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
bc1x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bc1x »

Your first image from 5/11/20 shows that you are in the Boot tab. The photo is not clear enough to determine if you have a Main tab. If you have a Main tab, do you see this menu?
1.png
If you don't see the "SATA Mode: Optane without RAID" item, try pressing ctrl+s to bring it up in the Main tab,as suggested by this thread. It is impossible to install to your SSD, if you don't change the SATA mode to AHCI.
AndyMH
Level 15
Level 15

Post by AndyMH »

change the SATA mode to AHCI.
Be careful with this, have been other posts where changing this broke an existing windows install. Not an expert in this area, I just make sure sata mode is set AHCI before I start installing anything.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

@AndyMH: It's actually quite a longstanding storage management issue going all the way back to the old IDE days, but continuing, at least potentially, with current OS versions. Some operating systems, notably Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 do not configure themselves to load the AHCI driver upon boot if the SATA-drive controller was not in AHCI mode at the time of installation. This can cause failure to boot, with an error message, if the SATA controller is later switched to AHCI mode.

@ceedy et al: The MokManager errors posted for this case, however, suggest a different problem. Further explanation and possible solution here.
System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot
bc1x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bc1x »

Chris,

Before you do anything else, it's best to stop for a moment & understand what AHCI is (if you don't already). Here is a good place to start.

It is my impression that you've replaced Windows with LM in the SSD (eMMC) drive. Regarding the concern about Windows not booting, the webpage has this to say: "if you switch the SATA controller to AHCI mode inadvertently after installing the OS in IDE mode, your Windows system may fail to boot with a Blue Screen error. As for this issue, Intel recommends that users change the drive controller to AHCI or RAID before an OS installation". The webpage, however, offers a solution to get Windows to boot again.

The system information seems to suggest that you are not dual-booting. If you are dual-booting, correcting the Mok Manager error is the safer way to proceed. You will have to search for the "“Add New Boot Option” because it is not displayed in your photo & change "ubuntuinstall" to something else. If unsuccessful, we can consider another approach.
ceedy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Sorted !! Complete Linux Novice needs help.

Post by ceedy »

The only extra options in the Bios are if Secure boot is enabled then extra options appear in the Bios security menu.

eg ..Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing . when selected this will show USB0 when the installer usb is inserted .

select this and you get .. "efi" press enter to get these 3 options <.> , <..> , <boot>
select boot and the options are boot64.efi or grub64.efi

Carried out that "Mok manager" routine with grub64.efi as a boot option and got the usb to install MINT :P

But that made the system show a boot menu, with the " the EMMC" as an unknown device with no usb in

So back in the bios and remove the security settings back to default.. restart , and the same " no bootable device" .

back in Bios into the security settings and go through the "add as a trusted for executing " again, this time the EMMC showed up and multiple .efi 's
listed , selected grub64 and save and exit bios

Sorted..... :D :D

Looks like its good as it going to be about a 20 seconds boot time now :D . a load better than before .. :D

hopefully thats it sorted.. will run it for a while to see how it goes ..

back to painting :lol:

Chris

Last edited by ceedy on Tue May 12, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

AndyMH wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:35 am
It is not going to boot any faster in UEFI mode compared to legacy.
I agree. Booting is horrendously slow on my Acer ES1 which was installed and is running in EFI mode.

Specs below:

Code: Select all

brian@BG-Aspire-ES1-111M ~ $ inxi --full -z
System:
  Host: BG-Aspire-ES1-111M Kernel: 4.15.0-15-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  Console: tty 2 Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Aspire ES1-111M v: V1.10 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Acer model: R2 v: Type2 - A01 Board Version serial: <filter> 
  UEFI: Insyde v: 1.10 date: 08/20/2014 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT1 charge: N/A condition: 30.3/29.9 Wh (101%) 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Celeron N2840 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
  Speed: 2582 MHz min/max: 500/2582 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2582 2: 2582 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display 
  driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Display: server: X.org 1.18.4 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
  tty: 83x32 
  Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console. Try -G --display 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio 
  driver: snd_hda_intel 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-15-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter 
  driver: ath9k 
  IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  driver: r8169 
  IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 29.12 GiB used: 16.12 GiB (55.3%) 
  ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: HBG4e size: 29.12 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 9.72 GiB used: 8.59 GiB (88.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk0p3 
  ID-2: /boot size: 495.8 MiB used: 328.1 MiB (66.2%) fs: ext2 
  dev: /dev/mmcblk0p2 
  ID-3: /home size: 15.62 GiB used: 6.97 GiB (44.6%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/mmcblk0p4 
  ID-4: swap-1 size: 2.50 GiB used: 234.0 MiB (9.1%) fs: swap 
  dev: /dev/mmcblk0p5 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 60.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 220 Uptime: 28d 16h 46m Memory: 1.83 GiB used: 955.7 MiB (51.0%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.24
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

Return to “Installation & Boot”