Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Jerry N
Level 3
Level 3

Opinions on GPT? [Answered]

Post by Jerry N »

Is there an overpowering reason to use GPT and convert MBR drives to GPT? This is an machine with an 8 year old Gigabyte motherboard and it's my secondary computer.
Last edited by Jerry N on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Opinions on GPT?

Post by rene »

GPT is technically cleaner especially if you need more than 4 partitions, in especially that last case signicantly less fragile, and sturdier generally due to being replicated at the end of the drive as well. 8 years old probably implies UEFI but if not, note that Windows won't boot from a GPT-partitioned disk on a non-UEFI system.

No, generally no "overpowering" reason.
Jerry N
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jerry N »

I got started on this because my new primary computer has a Ryzen 7-3700X processor and its main drive is an M.2 drive. This drive is of course GPT and being a worry wart I got concerned about my new computer failing (it wouldn't dare!) and having no way to recover data from the M.2 drive. Before someone yells BACKUP, I regularly back up all user files to a 1 gb hard drive that is formatted for NTFS without GPT and can be read by anything. Being paranoid, I periodically backup to an external drive and keep a copy in my safe deposit box.

Anyway, I just installed Mint 19.3 on a USB thumb drive with GPT and I could use that any time to recover data from a GPT drive.
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Other than a worry wart I believe you may also be slightly fossilized. I.e., good luck finding an OS, rescue disk, what have you, not supporting GPT in 2020.
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

Jerry N wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:50 pm
I got started on this because my new primary computer has a Ryzen 7-3700X processor and its main drive is an M.2 drive. This drive is of course GPT and being a worry wart I got concerned about my new computer failing (it wouldn't dare!) and having no way to recover data from the M.2 drive. Before someone yells BACKUP, I regularly back up all user files to a 1 gb hard drive that is formatted for NTFS without GPT and can be read by anything. Being paranoid, I periodically backup to an external drive and keep a copy in my safe deposit box.

Anyway, I just installed Mint 19.3 on a USB thumb drive with GPT and I could use that any time to recover data from a GPT drive.
Just ignore that "fossilized" slur, Jerry. It was a completely uncalled for ad hominem remark. Finding anything "not supporting GPT in 2020" really has nothing at all to do with what you asked about. It's strictly a matter of managing the systems already in your possession. And, in answer to your initial question about that, there is no compelling reason at all why a system that is already working well using Master Boot Record (MBR) drives should require changing to GUID Partition Table (GPT) drives. Any GPT advantages would only be significant if you were going to alter that system's configuration in such a way that it would involve much larger drives with many more primary partitions.

With regard to your recovery concerns, there is no problem with recovering backup images of GPT drives that are stored on MBR drives or vice versa, and M.2s are handled like any other SSDs. Neither does the formatting of storage device partitions (NTFS, ext2/3/4, or whatever) represent any major issue for most backup and recovery software. What are you using for your backups? Personally, because I multi-boot to both Linux and Windows OSes, I've found the Terabyte Suite of imaging and recovery tools to be most versatile. A single licence covers up to five machines. It includes both Image for Linux and Image for Windows and it can back up the entire system using either OS (or either of its "rescue" ISO builds) and restore using the other if such a need should arise somehow. So total catastrophic failure of any drive is no threat at all. It can even mount Linux ext2/3/4 partition images for selective recovery while running under Windows. On the other hand, such versatility may be "overkill' for your own needs and there are many other good backup and recovery products, including some quite decent free ones.
System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

arvy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:59 pm
Finding anything "not supporting GPT in 2020" really has nothing at all to do with what you asked about.
Oh yes it does, given that him worrying that this could be an issues was exactly and explicitly what he specified as the motivation for the question. I.e., do not confuse clarity and rudity.
Last edited by rene on Mon May 18, 2020 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

As a "fossilized" 78-year-old myself, I'll leave it for the OP and others to decide which answer was clear and responsive to the specific concerns actually raised and which was just unhelpful gratuitous rudeness.
Last edited by arvy on Mon May 18, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Thank you; very wise of you, even if it took 2 tries.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Kindly find a way to give clarity while leaving out the rudeness. Ad hominems are not welcome here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

The mere fact that someone calls something an "ad hominem" does not mean it is. Poster called himself "a worry wart" and my comment I would myself find nothing other than a "playful" follow-up, and including if anything like it had been directed at me. Even though poster hasn't commented, they characterizing themselves in said "offensive" manner in the first place moreover probably means they are of the very same type. I.e, had arvy not taken it upon him- or herself to become third-party offended it's likely no one would've in fact been.

Shall clearly leave it at that but feel it important to say this since this is a very current issue absolutely ravaging communications: someone just needing to claim offence for whatever was said to be declared offensive. It need not be; the other option is the claimer just being silly.
Last edited by rene on Mon May 18, 2020 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

rene wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:32 am
Shall clearly leave it at that
Yes please.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Jerry N
Level 3
Level 3

Fossilized?

Post by Jerry N »

Well - probably. Since I turn 84 next week at least my arteries and some of my joints are fossilized! In answer to the question of what I used for backup of my files, I use a program I wrote in Gambas. I much prefer Gambas to Python and I developed a hatred for C the first time I tried to use it, well over 25 years ago. I use Windows (Win 7) when I have to, usually in Virtual Box. I tried Win 10 when it first came out as a free version for "developers". I wouldn't touch Win 10 again with a 3 meter pole!

BTW, this fossilized old geezer recently built his umpteenth computer with an Asus 570 series mother board, Ryzen 7-3700X CPU, 16 gb of DDR4 RAM, GTX 1650 video board, and Samsung 970 M.2 SSD. And no, I DON'T do games!
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Definitely not a fossilized system...
bc1x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bc1x »

If consistency, when creating system images, is a reason for changing the initialization of the older device; then 1 Macrium Rescue flash drive, created with the multi-boot option & bootable in both computers, obviates the need for uniformity. In addition to the free version, there is also the 30 day (bells & whistles) version.

Everyone has his own favorite backup application, either homemade or created by others. If recoveries are faithful & accurate, that is the most important consideration.

Return to “Installation & Boot”