Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Brcpo
Level 1
Level 1

Need help with Linux Mint repair

Post by Brcpo »

Need help to repair linux mint 19.3 tricia. I install the new atualizations and the pc dont restart. Gives me error: acpi bios error (bug) could not resolve symbol [\sb.pcio.sato.spto._gtf.dssp; acpi error (bug) aborting method \_sb.pcio.sato.spt2._gtf due to previous error; [sdb] ask for data cache failed; [sdb] assuming drive cache:write through
(Initramps)

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Need help with.linus.mint repair

Post by deepakdeshp »

Whats actualization?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Need help with.linus.mint repair

Post by karlchen »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:42 pm
Whats actualization?
Software updates. :wink:
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

rarsa
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Need help with Linux Mint repair

Post by rarsa »

If you did set up timeshift, it is actually quite simple

https://itsfoss.com/backup-restore-linux-timeshift/

Go to the "Restoring when you can’t log into your Linux system" section.

If you don't have timeshift configured you have two options:

1. If you have spent hours and hours configuring your installation and/or have lots of time to thinker, keep this thread alive and try different things.

2. If you haven't spent much time configuring and customizing, and/or don't have that much time, reinstall without formatting the partition so you keep most of what you already have and do t loose your data.

And once you have a system running: set up timeshift. Takes seconds to set up. You don't ever touch it again untill something bad happens and you save hours.

By the way, if you have the "luxury" of starting from scratch, I recommend having the main partition as btrfs as you will use just marginal space to create the snapshots used by timeshift.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Need help with Linux Mint repair

Post by pbear »

The virtues and demerits of btrfs can be debated, but a newbie should not be using it.

Per xenopeek, "I've used Btrfs since 2014 but it takes time and knowledge to use properly. It won't offer you the performance of Ext4. ... If I had to install a system for somebody else I would just use Ext4 and set up redundant backups."

Return to “Installation & Boot”