youTube on TV

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

youTube on TV

Post by Peter Linu »

Hiyall,
I watched music videos on youTube today on a friend's TV. It was amazing! He uses an Apple device for the connection.
What hardware and/or software do us Minties use?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: youTube on TV

Post by RIH »

Chrome Cast.
Although I have a smart Samsung TV which already has YouTube on that - but long winded to search on a smart TV without an added keyboard.. :D
rarsa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rarsa »

I use mainly Chrome cast, casting from my android phone (by far the easiest solution) and Play Station 3 which has Netflix, YouTube, Prime and other applications.

I also used to have a smart TV with them and still have an old LG blu ray player that has Netflix and YouTube. I may donate it once I feel OK going out. Interestingly, most smart TVs run Linux to support the smart capabilities.

There are other options, including connecting the laptop HDMI directly to the TV. I've done that at hotels and AirBnBs

For a 100% Linux soluton: I also dabled a bit setting up an XBMC box (now Kodi https://kodi.tv/ ). I still have an old haulage wintv card. It is also in the donation pile.

If you are so inclined, you can set up your own XBMC or buy a tiny box with it installed and configured. It was fun building it, but as you saw above, I already had enough devices.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

My Roku boxes also have youtube as stand alone channels for my TVs as well, though i never use it...I believe Amazons Firesticks have it too...DAMIEN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I use an HDMI cable from my computer to one of the HDMI input ports on my TV. Since sound goes through the speakers connected to my computer, I just use a wireless mouse for a remote once the TV input has been switched to the HDMI I connected the HDMI cable to.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I just use the computer that is plugged into my TV for ANYthing that requires an internet connection or, just the videos on my home network.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Peter Linu,

I just read your post and the good replies to it.

If you have a smart TV, then it probably has a YouTube app available to use.

I have an older Samsung smart Blu-ray DVD player that has various apps including YouTube.

My Roku streaming stick + works great on my non-smart TV and has an incredible amount of channels, options, including YouTube channel. Easy to connect to my YouTube account as well. Nice remote control with voice control too. I found that the 5ghz WiFi band option works better than the older 2.4 ghz Wifi band, but you must have a dual-band WiFi AC router.

My guess is that Amazon Fire TV devices would also have YouTube. These also have a nice remote control most with voice control.

Android TV streaming devices also work. These work very much like an Android phone or tablet.

Chromecast devices and TV's , etc... that support it can receive video or audio streams from smartphones, tablets, and computers including those running Linux. You just select "cast" from the device or from applications including browsers. I would recommend Chromecast 3rd generation or newer Chromecast Ultra.

Of course you can directly connect computers to TV's using HDMI cable or using wireless HDMI devices. If your computer doesn't have an HDMI port, then you would probably need to get an HDMI display adapter usually fairly low cost (less than $10us) for your computer's video out and run audio cable separately. Vga to HDMI, or displayport to HDMI, or DVI to HDMI, etc...

Hope this helps...

TiVo just came out with a new TV streaming device that supports apps like YouTube and Chromecast with a remote.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Installation & Boot”