Mint install on Samsung NP905S3G fails to boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
w23
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint install on Samsung NP905S3G fails to boot

Post by w23 »

Thanks for that tip, it works just fine without any changes to the conf-file of refind.

I have just set the ubuntu boot partition of mint to be the first optional partition to boot and it works.

This workaround is really great.

But still, I would prefer my system coming up like every other system with the internal booting of my installed system without a plugged in usb stick to free up my usb port.

At the moment I don't dare to install refind to my hard drive, I don't want to mess up anything there. I'll have to check the docs before I do that.

From an earlier posting of yours I think the buggy part is the NVRAM and/or NVRAM related firmware routines and I'm not sure if the bug is just a bug or deliberately installed by M$ or the firmware company doing it for M$. I could imagine that the laptop was confgured for M$ and M$ possibly said "on this laptop only windows is allowed and nothing else".
So installing a routine in the firmware that sees a non-windows boot config and counteracts on that to sabotage the NVRAM entry in a way to disable booting other OSes is a possible cause for the underlying problem of boot failure, as far as I have understood it at this time.
Samsung NP9[1/0]5S3G-Laptops-AMD 4x CPU 1GHz, Win10 Pro + Mint
Dell Mini 1010 Laptop Intel Atom N270 CPU @ 1.6 GHz 32bt Mint + Kali + Win10 Pro
N100, Win11 Pro + Mint
S500+, Win11 Pro + Mint
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint install on Samsung NP905S3G fails to boot

Post by fabien85 »

You can try to use your refind USB stick to manage the boot order : see https://rodsbooks.com/refind/bootcoup.html#refind
Look for a boot entry called ubuntu and pointing to EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi or EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi (or same things but with / instead of \ ). If you find one, try to make it the default entry with refind, then reboot (or shutdown and reboot).
If that does not work, chances are that the firmware is buggy.

Return to “Installation & Boot”