Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Cyber241
Level 1
Level 1

Dual boot trying to change default operating system to linux

Post by Cyber241 »

Hi can someone tell me how to make Linux mint 19.3 cinnamon Tricia the default operating system besides windows 10.
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Dual boot trying to change default operating system to linux

Post by arvy »

I'm sure that any of us here would be very happy to help you to achieve the result you want if only you'd tell us just a little bit more about the current status. If your LM 19.3 installation has been successful, it's likely just a matter of adjusting your system's UEFI (NVRAM) boot order sequencing. Do you know how to do that? How about taking a look at How To Get Help and posting the information suggested in section 5.
System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot
Cyber241
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyber241 »

HP laptop: Processor is a Intel Pentium Silver N5000 CPU @ 1.10GHz: Installed RAM 8.00 GB
Cyber241
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyber241 »

And i do not know how to change the boot order.
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot
Cyber241
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyber241 »

?
AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

We don't do all the hard work for you. Top of the list in the link provided is how to change boot order. You need to make 'ubuntu' top of the list for mint to boot first (for a UEFI boot). Your laptop, your BIOS, they are all different.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
Cyber241
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyber241 »

Do i have to enable legacy support for this to work on the changing of the boot order?
Cyber241
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyber241 »

Ha it works yes.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

Correct me if I am wrong, as both my pc's are bios based, but the op seems to have successfully installed Mint and seems to be asking for a change of boot order in Grub.

Assuming this is the case, does it have anything to do with UEFI boot order?
Free as in free speech...
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

Cyber241 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:59 pm
Ha it works yes.
Congrats. And, as a bonus for your own effort, you've learned something very important about how your system works. :)
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

erginemr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:53 pm
Correct me if I am wrong, as both my pc's are bios based, but the op seems to have successfully installed Mint and seems to be asking for a change of boot order in Grub.

Assuming this is the case, does it have anything to do with UEFI boot order?
I am also glad for the OP. However, the reasoning above still puzzles me. Can any of you clarify this, please?
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

I'm really not sure what "reasoning" puzzles you. Speaking only for myself, the very limited information rationed out by the OP allowed almost no real reasoning and certainly no assumptions such as seem to form the basis of your puzzlement. I just responded to the OP's "i do not know how to change the boot order" reply with a link to where that information could be found. Apparently it was found and it worked. Dunno what else can be said about it.
AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

the very limited information rationed out by the OP
Seems fairly typical, unfortunately, limited info, wants help. I do find myself increasingly disinclined to respond.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

arvy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:55 am
If your LM 19.3 installation has been successful, it's likely just a matter of adjusting your system's UEFI (NVRAM) boot order sequencing.
It is this part that got me off-guard. Once managed to install, isn't it Grub's job to sort out the boot order? What does it have anything to do with UEFI boot order at this stage?

I am asking this out of curiosity, having limited experience with UEFI systems.
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

Oh, for heaven's sake. This is really getting quite far off the topic of the OP's substantive request. If it's my "reasoning" that actually concerns you, installation alongside a pre-existing Windows 10 set-up in today's world suggests UEFI-GPT booting as being likely in which case system boot order sequencing would determine the results. Not certain; just likely. That's all that could possibly be said about it that might be helpful to the OP with the very limited information made available at the outset. I have no other explanation to offer for the logic. And no apology for what turned out to be correct. That's it.

If, on the other hand, you yourself have specific questions about how UEFI systems and their boot order sequencing works, ask away by all means, but I would respectfully suggest starting your own thread on the subject.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

Thank you, this explanation is enough for me. No need to start a new thread. I just wanted the solution given to be "completely explained" for me and for future reference, and not asking for an apology or anything of that sort.

Anyway, let's close up the topic.
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:54 pm
the very limited information rationed out by the OP
Seems fairly typical, unfortunately, limited info, wants help. I do find myself increasingly disinclined to respond.
Likewise, especially if any effort to respond in such circumstances is also going to require explanations and justifications to inquisitive third parties.
AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

isn't it Grub's job to sort out the boot order?
Yes it can, but you first have to get BIOS to boot into grub and not the windows bootloader. The windows bootloader cares nothing for other OSes, it will only boot windows. On the other hand, grub is a multi-OS boot loader and will boot other OS like windows. So as long as you can get BIOS to boot into grub, it can then boot into linux or windows.

In a UEFI install BIOS controls the boot order for the installed OSes and devices. Normally when you install mint it will put itself (labelled as ubuntu) at the top of the list in BIOS. A subsequent windows update may put itself at the top of the list requiring a boot into BIOS to change the order again. For UEFI the bootloader files (windows and grub) are installed in a special EFI partition that BIOS reads. As can be seen from the number of posts, some BIOS can be a PITA to get to boot anything other than windows.

Life is simpler with a legacy boot, here BIOS only lists the devices to boot from. There is very little room for code in the boot sector on a drive so this just points somewhere else for the bootloader. In the case of grub it hides in the space between the end of the partition table and start of the first partition. Here a 'bad' windows update will overwrite grub requiring its re-installation. An example legacy boot, in one of my laptops, HDD0 (=sda) is the main drive and I use it for testing other OS. I have mint, my main OS, installed on another drive, HDD2 (=sdc) with the bootloader (grub) installed on sdc. In BIOS HDD2 is set at the top of the boot list.
erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

AndyMH,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.
AndyMH wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:03 am
In a UEFI install BIOS controls the boot order for the installed OSes and devices. Normally when you install mint it will put itself (labelled as ubuntu) at the top of the list in BIOS. A subsequent windows update may put itself at the top of the list requiring a boot into BIOS to change the order again. For UEFI the bootloader files (windows and grub) are installed in a special EFI partition that BIOS reads. As can be seen from the number of posts, some BIOS can be a PITA to get to boot anything other than windows.
This is the part which I was not familiar with. Now everything is crystal clear. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”