[SOLVED] What is the best procedure to install a new Linux Mint, like 20.0 in dual booting?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MrT
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] What is the best procedure to install a new Linux Mint, like 20.0 in dual booting?

Post by MrT »

In recent times I have upgraded from Linux MInt 18.3 to 19 and now I am planning to do the same from 19.3 to 20 using the "automated" process that will be available in a few days.

However, while that is fine, sometimes a fresh install seems to have some merit in allowing to clean up the system and getting rid of some "junk" that could be lingering around. I did that going from 17.3 to 18.

I understand that, unless I create certain directories in certain places, I will have to re-install everything and that it can be time consuming if someone, like me, has quite a bit of programs or files.

My specific question is... if I were to do a fresh installation by using the bootable USB stick, do I need to first erase the current Linux partition and create a new one or, when prompted, could I just tell the installer to use the current Linux partition? The fist time I did the upgrade, from 17.3 to 18, I erased the entire partition and recreated it, but that screwed up Grub and I could no longer install it. For some reason, technically mysterious to me, I solved the problem by installing Ubuntu first and then removing it and at that point, I was able to install Mint 18 and get grub to work. Now, I wonder if my issue was caused by my erasing the partition I had for Mint, instead, and I should just have asked the installer to install Mint on that very partition.

I would appreciate if someone could teach me how I should go about doing the new installation thing.

Also, since I am asking, what would be the best way to create the directory structure so that when I do a re-installation, I get to keep certain parts like documents, etc.?

Thank you.
Last edited by MrT on Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What is the best procedure to install a new Linux Mint, like 20.0 in dual booting?

Post by arvy »

MrT wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:49 pm
I understand that, unless I create certain directories in certain places, I will have to re-install everything and that it can be time consuming if someone, like me, has quite a bit of programs or files.
Depends what else you've installed and whether you've kept a backup/record of the additions. A few things (e.g. LAMP server re-install) can be a bit of a pain, but, in most cases, just backing up your user data files (docs, images, etc.) to some other location (preferably a different physical drive) will suffice. Personally, I'd do that even if I were only doing an update from one major version to another.
My specific question is... if I were to do a fresh installation by using the bootable USB stick, do I need to first erase the current Linux partition and create a new one or, when prompted, could I just tell the installer to use the current Linux partition?
The latter. You don't need to erase the old version prior to running the LM 20 installer, but choosing the old version's root partition as the root for a fresh install will involve re-formatting that partition as an early step in the installation process itself.
System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot
MrT
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What is the best procedure to install a new Linux Mint, like 20.0 in dual booting?

Post by MrT »

@ arvy. Thank you for your reply. I have just one additional small question. Would following that process also take care of updating grub?
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

It should and usually does, but there's certainly no harm in running sudo update-grub yourself on first booting the new installation. I usually do just 'cuz of my "belt and suspenders" attitude to Murphy's Law. :)
System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

If you create a separate /home partition, this can simplify re-installation as you can opt not to format it, thus keeping your personal data & settings for anything you had installed previously.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
MrT
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MrT »

Thank you.

Return to “Installation & Boot”