Not able to boot windows anymore after installing Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Not able to boot windows anymore after installing Mint

Post by Husse »

Unless you have two hard disks this is wrong
no MBR found
Take a look at this wiki
Can't say for sure if it is something along these lines but a change to UUID may do the trick (explained in the wiki)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I don't suppose the error message was BOOTMGR is missing
My guess (I am not an expert here):
7 installed its boot information onto the XP partition (as it was the "first") and when I installed linux, I killed that information (MBR?) and now 7 cannot boot anymore.
You're an excellent guesser. During installation, Windows will search to see if there is an already existing Windows OS in any computer they are being installed in. If they find a pre-existing Windows installation in a primary partition, they are programmed to set up a 'Microsoft Default Dual Boot', and install the new operating system's boot loader files in the older operating system.

When you zapped XP you zapped not only it's bootloader but Win7's. You need to boot into the Win7 Install CD and do a "Repair you Computer" or whatever it's called now. My Windows experience stopped at WinXP so I can't personally help you with that.

Bad news though. Restoring the Win7 bootloader will zap grub and you won't be able to boot into Mint. There are ways to restore that but I don't do grub so you will have to search the forums. If you play around with a lot of OS's you might want to do what I do and use a third party bootloader. There's one specifically designed to run within windows called EasyBCD but there are many others.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Well, and I'm just guessing here, when you fix the bootmgr record you may be able to redo mint's grub and have it boot Win7.

The Win7 bootloader has two parts - one's in the MBR where grub is at the moment, and the other is in the Win7 partition. It's the one in the Win7 partition that was moved into WinXP and now lost. Restoring the one that's missing in the Win7 partition now gives something for Mint's grub to point to once grub is redone.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You can find out how to repair grub here
I've done that several times, not because of a Windows install but because I wanted another grub to be active than the last one installed
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

Boot your 7 DVD and instead of installing, choose the repair option. Then reinstall grub, following the link given to you by Husse

atlef.

Return to “Installation & Boot”