Installing on an existing MDADM array...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kazade
Level 1
Level 1

Installing on an existing MDADM array...

Postby Kazade » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:34 am

Hi all,

I've decided to make the switch from Ubuntu to Mint on my desktop PC. My current Ubuntu install is configured as follows:

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 ext4 "/" 15G
/dev/sda2 ext3 "/home" 280G
/dev/sda3 linux-swap 4G

and the same for /dev/sdb, they are set up as RAID 1 (mirrored).

Now, I'm a complete newb to RAID and it took me a while to figure out how to set that up using the Ubuntu alternate CD. Now I want to install Mint I'm not really sure how to do it... the Mint installer doesn't recognise the array as such, but displays them as 2 identical disks. I basically want to just reinstall /dev/md0 (the root partition) without affecting anything else (/home), can anyone explain how I do that in the Mint installer?

miket
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Installing on an existing MDADM array...

Postby miket » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:03 am

Hi !

Mint currently doesn't support MD devices nor LVM at installation time which is a huge bug bear !
There are ways of doing it however it's really not for the faint hearted and can lead to a non-working system!

Take a look at this posting: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30841
It may be of help to you, however if you don't understand it then please don't attempt it!

MikeT.

Kazade wrote:Hi all,

I've decided to make the switch from Ubuntu to Mint on my desktop PC. My current Ubuntu install is configured as follows:

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 ext4 "/" 15G
/dev/sda2 ext3 "/home" 280G
/dev/sda3 linux-swap 4G

and the same for /dev/sdb, they are set up as RAID 1 (mirrored).

Now, I'm a complete newb to RAID and it took me a while to figure out how to set that up using the Ubuntu alternate CD. Now I want to install Mint I'm not really sure how to do it... the Mint installer doesn't recognise the array as such, but displays them as 2 identical disks. I basically want to just reinstall /dev/md0 (the root partition) without affecting anything else (/home), can anyone explain how I do that in the Mint installer?

Kazade
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kazade » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:29 am

Thanks for your reply!

Hmm, that's a real shame that it's not supported. I guess this is inherited from Ubuntu and needs to be solved there... Is there an alternative CD for Linux Mint like there is Ubuntu? Or this there a way to install Ubuntu from the alternate cd and then "upgrade" to Mint?

If not, can anyone recommend me a fully hardware (e.g. not fakeraid) controller that is known to work with Linux (I guess Linux wouldn't even need to know about a full raid controller) and is reasonably cheap?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Postby Husse » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:05 am

Yes it's inherited from Ubuntu
Perhaps this exhaustive guide helps you
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Return to “Installation & Boot”