Before you post please read how to get help
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Re: 19.3 to 20 - complete failure, extremely angry

Post by rene »

OlivierM wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:09 am
My criticism in this case is more the following: either the process of upgrade is stable, and it is pushed, or it isn't, and then it isn't pushed by a notification.
Oh, I quite agree. Have been around here for the upgrade from 17 to 18 which if I'm not mistaken was in fact the first time a major-version upgrade was offered in the first place so problems forgivable and moreover not used too much yet, from 18 to 19, a bit less so and many issues there were, and now from 19 to 20 which as far as the general impression from reading this forum goes is a bit of a disaster, and one now combined with the to 19 new System report thingy advertising it to unsuspecting users.

The issue is of course that the Mint team would/will not have expected serious issues --- and frankly most I've seen also seem to occur as a matter of even Mint 19 having been upgraded from 18, i.e., old gunk in the sense of cgmanager or KDE stuff still laying around which have in those two years gone from gracefully failing to simply bombing out. Well, yes, you can't test everything and given my views on people in-place upgrading between major versions in the first place I find it hard to feel sorry for them, but sure, still not a good idea to advertise an upgrade to these users.

But that said I do not feel it in any way likely that your BIOS issue was anything specific to the upgrade from 19 to 20 as such. We have seen similar behaviour here on the forum of no longer being able to boot from USB and/or being being all of a sudden unable to enter the BIOS setup as a matter of buggy early UEFI implementations. Haven't in fact dug through this thread to see if you have specified enough of your system to be able to confirm/deny that possibility but there really seems to be no other option than quite system-specific trouble as to that issue you had. Again, you can't test everything and certainly not every system out there, and if indeed we're talking about that rare issue involving installing any OS in UEFI mode on some systems, well, you'd just be out of luck there I'd feel: would not feel the update to be responsible in that case, even if it would be in a practical sense.

But otherwise then, yes. I wish Mint would go back to not supporting major version upgrades, certainly back to not advertising them. Way too much trouble with them.
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

Ringel05 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:05 am
I took a Timeshift snapshot before upgrading, when the upgrade failed I used Timeshift to restore my 19.03......... The restore failed.......
just now i created a timeshift snapshot, and right after i restored it. the system would not boot. i pushed reset on the PC and rebooted fine. moral of the story is need more info as to what means failed.
Ringel05
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ringel05 »

trytip wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:37 pm
Ringel05 wrote:
I took a Timeshift snapshot before upgrading, when the upgrade failed I used Timeshift to restore my 19.03......... The restore failed.......
just now i created a timeshift snapshot, and right after i restored it. the system would not boot. i pushed reset on the PC and rebooted fine. moral of the story is need more info as to what means failed.
It froze halfway through the restore. Happy now?
System:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: GSkill DDR4 8GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 770
Storage: NVMe 500GB
PSU: Roswill HIVE 850W
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

Ringel05 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:40 pm
trytip wrote:
Ringel05 wrote:
i feel much better now
Ringel05
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ringel05 »

trytip wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:48 pm
Ringel05 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:40 pm
trytip wrote:

i feel much better now
Ya have to realize many of us are just venting, we're not all looking for a "fix" as we've already got 20 to work or like me had to do a clean install of 19.3 to get it to work.
I won't be looking to upgrade (clean install) LM 20 for a while, at least until they work out what appears to be MAJOR bugs.
System:
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

Ringel05 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:59 pm
Ya have to realize many of us are just venting, we're not all looking for a "fix" as we've already got 20 to work or like me had to do a clean install of 19.3 to get it to work.
I won't be looking to upgrade (clean install) LM 20 for a while, at least until they work out what appears to be MAJOR bugs.
i totally get it, as i have posted many times i have never not once been able to upgrade any of my linux installations. point releases of ubuntu i mean. but i'm one to modify and rip open the root partition to change things as i think they should be. for instance in my 19.3 mint cinnamon i removed the use of root admin passwords. do you know how nice it is to open an application upgrade or update to your hearts content close it and open it again just because i can and not be bothered by password boxes?
vent away
Ringel05
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ringel05 »

trytip wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:43 pm
Ringel05 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:59 pm
i totally get it, as i have posted many times i have never not once been able to upgrade any of my linux installations. point releases of ubuntu i mean. but i'm one to modify and rip open the root partition to change things as i think they should be. for instance in my 19.3 mint cinnamon i removed the use of root admin passwords. do you know how nice it is to open an application upgrade or update to your hearts content close it and open it again just because i can and not be bothered by password boxes?
vent away
When it comes to Linux I guess I'm somewhere between an advanced beginner and a n00b intermediate user. There's a lot I can do but don't because I like things to work out of the box, old Windows user which is why I ended up with Linux Mint. I actually hate coding of any kind and prefer easy to use graphical interfaces for pretty much everything.
That is often a challenge for me when I run into a problem and go looking for answers. Too many advanced Linux users have forgotten what it is to be a n00b and they provide an answer that might as well be written in Greek without instruction on how the get to the places to input the fix........
System:
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

Including me, as I came from Win10. I totally agree on using GUI's instead of CLI. But with patience, internet, you can totally make CLI a piece of cake. I prefer CLI now because you can see what is really going on with your system when you press that Enter button. But you can still ofcourse use GUI if that what makes your life easier, as for my point is seeing what the operating system is doing to your computer after typing the command.
My System: ASUS K52F
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate SSD
Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I wonder how many having upgrade problems on UEFI computers, installed the first version with secure boot off in the BIOS, and just forgot about it, but later have Secure Boot enabled, changed the bootloader to efibootmgr, and then forget to turn off the Secure Boot for the new install or the upgrade (if necessary for such)? It's easy to forget such steps after a couple years, then when secure boot disables booting allowed from USB, suddenly they blame the BIOS for what it has done from the beginning when set to Secure Boot?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Installation & Boot”