Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
LK51
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED: Clean install of LM20 to existing Win7 dual boot

Post by LK51 »

Please pardon if this question has been answered previously. I currently am running LM19.3 in legacy dual boot with Win7 (still needed for a couple of functions for some legacy projects). The disk layout is (see attached pic)…

/dev/sda1 boot partition (GRUB2)
/dev/sda2 Win7 partition
/dev/sda3 extended
/dev/sda5 LM19.3 partition

My goal is to preserve Win7 while cleaning up the disk space needed to install LM20 (re-installing Win7 would be a considerable PIA). If I understand the situation correctly I should be able to wipe /dev/sda5 with Gparted and the LM 20 installer should recognized the presence of Win7 on sda2, recognize the now empty sda5 and install LM20 there while writing new boot instructions to GRUB on sda1.

Does this seem the correct approach? (BTW, I am aware of the need to back up all existing data before making any changes.)

Thanks
Attachments
d-boot.png
Last edited by LK51 on Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Clean install of LM20 to existing Win7 dual boot

Post by LanceM »

It should work as you said.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
LK51
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LK51 »

LanceM, thanks for your reply.

After wiping the non-Win7 partitions I installed LM20 to the un-allocated space. All went well with the LM20 install and it is operating normally with the new partition serving as "/" and boot as well.

Unfortunately GRUB is not recognizing the Win7 partition as having an OS, and so no GRUB splash screen to select which OS at boot. I installed OS Prober from Synaptic and re-installed GRUB as well. Still no luck. Could this be due to Windows 7 boot files being lost corrupted? I know the Win7 partition is still intact as I can see the file structure and transfer files via File Manager.

Any suggestions on how to get GRUB to recognize the Win7 installation?
Attachments
new-part.png
LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

Try booting to a live session and launch Boot Repair from the Menu. Follow the prompts.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
LK51
Level 2
Level 2

Re: SOLVED: Clean install of LM20 to existing Win7 dual boot

Post by LK51 »

It appears the issue was a corrupted Windows boot loader. Reformatting the drive, restoring a Win7 backup,and then clean install of LM20 worked as designed. The option to install along side Windows 7 appeared in the LM20 installer after making these corrections.

Operator error strikes again.

Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Installation & Boot”