SOLVED "ERROR: failed to install additional packages." Did my 19.3->20 upgrade succeed?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ur_gf_irl
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED "ERROR: failed to install additional packages." Did my 19.3->20 upgrade succeed?

Post by ur_gf_irl »

I've been following the upgrade procedure for my Dell XPS 13 running LM 19.3 as listed on the website. I ran mintupgrade and things seemed to be proceeding well for a while. But it seems as though suddenly my networking is no longer working properly. The latest round of package installs (which begin with the message "+ Installing new packages") failed to download from the ubuntu and mint repositories, and I was suddenly unable to use wifi (which still works fine on other devices). The install process ended with "ERROR: failed to install additional packages. Exiting."

I was able to use an external USB wireless card to regain internet connectivity. I reran "mintupgrade check" which reported that there were no remaining packages to be upgraded. But my native wireless card still doesn't seem to work, and I just now noticed that my update manager displays the following error: "Could not refresh the list of updates. Your APT configuration is corrupt. Do not install or update anything, it could break your operating system! To switch to a different Linux Mint mirror and solve this problem, click OK.None"

Normally I'd first try to fix these problems by restarting the laptop but it's not clear if that's safe for me to do here. Can anyone advise me on how to find out whether I have a problem, what safe next steps are, etc? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by ur_gf_irl on Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: "ERROR: failed to install additional packages." Did my 19.3->20 upgrade succeed?

Post by carum carvi »

I hope you have a backup of important personal data, if not, now is the time to make a backup.

I can not help you solve this specific problem I am sorry to say, some other more experienced forumuser might be able to help you out, but it is safe and sound advice, repeated many times on this forum, to better not try and do an upgrade towards a new LinuxMint distribution, but instead do a clean new install of a new LinuxMint distribution like LM20. It will prevent you from having many headaches and troubles. Upgrades do work, but when they dont you can get into a lot of trouble. So for new users of LinuxMint I would advice you not to try and do an upgrade towards LM20, but do a new clean install of LM20 instead. Again, really sorry I couldnt be of more immediate help to your specific problem you are facing now...

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Re: "ERROR: failed to install additional packages." Did my 19.3->20 upgrade succeed?

Post by zcot »

Go back with timeshift, then start again while using a wired connection not wifi and this would eliminate any possible issue with that anyway.

Go back with timeshift, now check a search engine for ipv6 test on your isp's connection and run a couple of those tests. If you get a bad score then you can go ahead and disable ipv6 on the current connection if it is not fully supported. You can edit connection and select ignore on the ipv6 section, this way you are using ipv4. It may be related to this issue.

ur_gf_irl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ur_gf_irl »

Thanks for the input. In the process of preparing to go back with Timeshift, I restarted and weirdly everything seems to be working now. Because of this, I'll keep trying to use it as is for now and will revert with Timeshift if I run into problems.

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Re: SOLVED "ERROR: failed to install additional packages." Did my 19.3->20 upgrade succeed?

Post by zcot »

Ok, maybe that's good news then. :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”