Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
S3NTYN3L
Level 1
Level 1

PSA - 19.3 to 20 - Just Do A Fresh Install

Post by S3NTYN3L »

I just got done wasting 5 hours trying to recover from the uncountable errors during and after upgrade from 19.3 to 20.
Finally gave up and I'm now back on a clone of my 19.3 SSD.

I know, it's a PITA recustomizing your system after months/years of doing so. It certain will be for me. (Starting fresh tomorrow morning).
At least this time I can thoroughly document everything along the way in anticipation of Mint 21.

Do yourself a favor and just do a fresh install.
Never again... :(
Last edited by S3NTYN3L on Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: PSA - 19.3 to 20 - Just Do A Fresh Install

Post by arvy »

Having been through one or two similar experiences with Windows "upgrades" myself in the past, I can offer you nothing but the most sincere sympathy. It's unfortunate that wisdom can sometimes only come through hard and bitter experience, but so it seems. In any case, your cautionary advice is very sound IMO. Whatever extra effort may be required for a fresh installation is more than offset by avoiding the much greater effort potentially involved in recovery from failed upgrade attempts.
System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot
zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

Yep, it's been said many times, I've realized to start with that idea first.

Also, that's part of the reasoning why the Mint "Backup tool" was created, -easily moving to a fresh install.

But, alternately, a system that is not requesting an impossible situation with cooked packages, or who has purged then reinstalled possibly some other version of python or other important deep system packages, or otherwise using held packages, or weird 3rd party related package schemery, will upgrade flawlessly and with ease. Many users have had great, quick, and painless upgrades in the past day.

A system with a lot of software package related customizations, proprietary drivers, or any of the things mentioned above should go straight to the fresh install route. If mintupgrade check returns anything more than basically a smiley face, then you should abandon the path and go with a fresh install.

Glad you got it worked out though, nothing worse than losing important files that can not be replaced.
Oldun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oldun »

Sorry for your experience. I had pretty standard install of 19.3 so I gave it a go with the Mintupgrade suggestion. Took a while but worked seamlessly!
Lenovo T420 i5 Mint Cinnamon Mint 20 Ulyana (all spinning rust, none of this new fangled SSD stuff).
Ringel05
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ringel05 »

S3NTYN3L wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:04 pm
I just got done wasting 5 hours trying to recover from the uncountable errors during and after upgrade from 19.3 to 20.
Finally gave up and I'm now back on a clone of my 19.3 SSD.

I know, it's a PITA recustomizing your system after months/years of doing so. It certain will be for me. (Starting fresh tomorrow morning).
At least this time I can thoroughly document everything along the way in anticipation of Mint 21.

Do yourself a favor and just do a fresh install.
Never again... :(
Tried a fresh install after the upgrade failed miserably. Two thirds of the packages wouldn't work after doing the fresh install, heck I couldn't even activate the drivers for HPLIP and my EVGA GeForce card.
System:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: GSkill DDR4 8GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 770
Storage: NVMe 500GB
PSU: Roswill HIVE 850W

Return to “Installation & Boot”