[Solved] Purchasing Linux Mint 20.0 on USB drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mintstant Karma
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Purchasing Linux Mint 20.0 on USB drive

Post by Mintstant Karma »

Pierre wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:52 am if you are an resident of CONUSA then you could try using:
https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/
where they have LM20...
Pierre, that was the website mentioned by the original poster. Have you used them? I discovered them a few weeks ago, and I too was curious to know if they were "authorized," "approved" or such, and how their service is. This thread took a turn toward other alternatives, which may not be available to me.

Side note: what the heck is CONUSA? 😕
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [Solved] Purchasing Linux Mint 20.0 on USB drive

Post by Pierre »

Nope - - not personally .. I've only ever bought from eBay as an rule.
but, there is not that many alternatives, that you can obtain pre-made Linux Media.

that CONUSA? is the Continental United States of America
- as opposed to North America, which can include Canada & Mexico . .
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Mintstant Karma
Level 4
Level 4

Ah, continental! You must've been in a big hurry. 😆

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. I hadn't really given much thought to eBay, but I will check that out. I tend to be leery of them for this, perhaps needlessly, but because the official Linux Mint download page is careful to warn everyone to check the authenticity of each download.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you would also have to assume, that who-ever has pre-made that Linux Media,
& who also has verified the ISOs that they used for that media.
else, they would get an lot of unwarranted returns.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
Mintstant Karma
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, I suppose so.

Or they've just gotten lucky so far. 🙄

I'm probably extra cautious because of the bad luck I've just had.... I had just downloaded the Linux Mint 20 ISO several days ago, and was right on the verge of creating my own bootable flash drive, when my live Linux Mint 19 installation (which contains the application I was going to use) suddenly stopped booting last night. How's that for unlucky timing?

Incidentally I posted about that recently, too, in case you want to have a go at the answer.

Meanwhile I'm checking out the 15 results I got at eBay, which I admit do look encouraging. Thank you again.
ingeva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ingeva »

Making a bootable USB from an ISO file:

# Find the device that the USB pin is mounted on:
findmnt | grep /media/
# You should get a line where the device is the 2.nd field. Let's say it says /dev/sdd1, then /dev/sdd is the device (as opposed to the first partition).
# if is the input file, of is the output device.
sudo dd if=(ISO filename) of=/dev/sdd bs=32M
# This will take some time. After it's done, make sure you "eject" the USB before you remove it physically.
# Shut down the computer, restart and enter the BIOS to select the boot device.
# So it's really quite easy. And free. Good luck!
Mint rules! (20.1 MATE) Cinnamon go home! :)
Mintstant Karma
Level 4
Level 4

Oh, that's great, ingeva. I had just started researching that the other day. I knew it must be possible with textual commands.

It'll be a while before I can try it out, but thank you very much. 👍☺️
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

Mintstant Karma wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:21 am Oh, that's great, ingeva. I had just started researching that the other day. I knew it must be possible with textual commands.

It'll be a while before I can try it out, but thank you very much. 👍☺️
OR, You can boot from LM ISO itself! Look here!
My System: ASUS K52F
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate HDD
Linux Mint 20.2
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

I saw many answers that do not address the question " Purchasing Linux Mint 20.0 on USB drive" I just hate that!

I asked that kind of question last week. fortunately I got an immediate answer to the question. A friend wanted to install Mint for the first time and was having a hard time understanding the downloading, verifying, etc. so I suggested Mint on a stick.

There are many reasons for purchasing it on a stick, slothfulness, poor Internet connection, no Internet connection and never installed anything before.
Skystrike

Post by Skystrike »

I use Ventoy for multiboot USB, very simple and can create persistent with LM, Ubuntu, MxLinux, and many others Ubuntu based
somelurker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by somelurker »

I honestly think at least some of the responses that show how to create a bootable USB drive are just good samaritans trying to help save the original poster some money, because it only takes a few minutes to make a bootable USB drive of Mint if you've done it before.

The app USB Image Writer (installed by default on recent versions of Mint) is another way to make a bootable USB drive that specifically works for Mint. Open the app, choose the .iso image, and then pick the USB drive to write it to. Click "Write", wait about 10 minutes, and you're done!

As for verification, that's only a concern if you suspect a malicious actor is trying to corrupt your download. I'm not sure buying a problem from an online store would solve that kind of problem because the store itself could be untrustworthy (I think you recognized this problem yourself when you asked if the store was "approved"), a neighbor can tamper with your mail, etc.
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blueicetwice »

Pierre wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:42 am Nope - - not personally .. I've only ever bought from eBay as an rule.
but, there is not that many alternatives, that you can obtain pre-made Linux Media.

that CONUSA? is the Continental United States of America
- as opposed to North America, which can include Canada & Mexico . .

Pierre, we are now all Western Hemisphereian. :mrgreen:
blueicetwice
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Purchasing Linux Mint 20.0 on USB drive

Post by blueicetwice »

Mintstant Karma wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:32 am
Pierre wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:52 am if you are an resident of CONUSA then you could try using:
https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/
where they have LM20...
Pierre, that was the website mentioned by the original poster. Have you used them? I discovered them a few weeks ago, and I too was curious to know if they were "authorized," "approved" or such, and how their service is. This thread took a turn toward other alternatives, which may not be available to me.

Side note: what the heck is CONUSA? 😕
Karma, I ordered about $50.oo bucks worth of DVDs from them. Shipping could have
been a little faster, but who in the hell needs an OS inn a day or two. They also have a
good return policy, although they charge more than Disco land did.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it's also nice to know, that they are still delivering stuff,
and that forum.members can order though them.
miindck
Level 2
Level 2

Post by miindck »

arvy wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:50 pm Does everything?! You found a Windows multiboot program that can launch a Linux distro in either boot mode? If so, I'd like to try that one myself just for kicks. Is it available for download?
I used YUMI on windows to Boot Multiple ISO Images on USB.
There is a UEFI Compatible YUMI too

Return to “Installation & Boot”