Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fstjohn
Level 4
Level 4

Cannot boot after fresh install of 20 Cinnamon

Post by fstjohn »

I've installed LM 20 Cinnamon on my laptop (using it now) successfully and decided to install on my desktop (replacing 19.3) using the same USB stick as a source. The installation went smoothly but when I boot the desktop I get:

"GNU GRUB version 2.02
Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions
grub> C "

I've repeated the install, with the same results. Any help?
Life: A sexually transmitted disease. Invariably fatal.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cannot boot after fresh install of 20 Cinnamon

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Since you did a fresh install from the USB flash drive, did you install Grub on the /dev/sda drive? Not /dev/sda1, etc.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
fstjohn
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cannot boot after fresh install of 20 Cinnamon

Post by fstjohn »

Joe2Shoe wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:20 pm
Since you did a fresh install from the USB flash drive, did you install Grub on the /dev/sda drive? Not /dev/sda1, etc.
I simply took the defaults. Found I could boot if I turned off UEFI. This was not the case with 19.3 or any previous version. Afterwards, Aptik just made a terrible mess. I tried restoring 19.3 from the Timeshift backup but couldn't boot at all afterwards with or without UEFI. Wound up deleting all partitions and formatting the SSD then restoring the system image from my Foxclone backup. Fortunately that worked perfectly. Now I'm back to 19.3 and I guess I'll stay for awhile. Three cheers for Foxclone!
Life: A sexually transmitted disease. Invariably fatal.

Return to “Installation & Boot”