Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
egonpauli
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 10 / Linux Mint: dual booting F12 gives a black screen

Post by egonpauli »

I have installed Linux mint Ulayana 64-bit alongside the original Windows 10. But now when I try to boot Windows (by pressing F12 or Esc or Del or F2 - I tried all) I get a completely black screen. The PC is on, it almost "feels" like boot menu is there, and the machine is audible and the power button is on, but the screen is off, so I can't even see the cursor. Linux, on the other hand, starts normally by default. Additional info: Before I installed Linux, I disabled secure boot in Windows (in control panel, not boot menu) that previously blocked Linux installation. I chose only a small partition of 27 Gb for Linux out of available 250 SSD. Device OptiPlex3050, Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40 GHz 3.41 HGz 64-bit OS, x64-based processor // Windows 10 pro v.1903. What should I do to display boot menu?
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Windows 10 / Linux Mint: dual booting F12 gives a black screen

Post by asinoro »

egonpauli wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:56 am
I have installed Linux mint Ulayana 64-bit alongside the original Windows 10. But now when I try to boot Windows (by pressing F12 or Esc or Del or F2 - I tried all) I get a completely black screen. The PC is on, it almost "feels" like boot menu is there, and the machine is audible and the power button is on, but the screen is off, so I can't even see the cursor. Linux, on the other hand, starts normally by default. Additional info: Before I installed Linux, I disabled secure boot in Windows (in control panel, not boot menu) that previously blocked Linux installation. I chose only a small partition of 27 Gb for Linux out of available 250 SSD. Device OptiPlex3050, Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40 GHz 3.41 HGz 64-bit OS, x64-based processor // Windows 10 pro v.1903. What should I do to display boot menu?
Post the outcome of the command:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/default/grub
Also, run this command and post it, by copy and paste between the code tags selecting the symbol </> at forum's text editor, the outcome will look like the command.

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l ; lsblk -f ; mokutil --sb-state ; inxi -Fxxxrz
Axel Larator
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Windows 10 / Linux Mint: dual booting F12 gives a black screen

Post by Axel Larator »

Enable secure boot right now. Installeasybcd from Neosmart https://neosmart.net/ Follow their instructions for a dual boot. Win10 is waiting for EFI. Use EasyBCD to troubleshoot Win 10, back up and repair the bootloader. Boot/install Linux as a sidekick.
Don't use bootrec/fixmbr or bootrec/fixboot on Windows, best way to kill the installation.

Return to “Installation & Boot”