Before you post please read how to get help
Mintybreath
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint not showing new partitions.

Post by Mintybreath »

Hi All,
I'm hoping you can help me.
I am running Linux Mint 9.3. No other configuration (no dual-boot). I just installed it fresh.
As I do not have a newer computer with UEFI, before installing, I used a live USB to install LM and purposely created a new partition table (msdos) so that I could create an extended partition and avoid any issues that could arise by using GPT on an older-type computer.

I initially attempted to use LM's standard installer, and chose the "Something else" option to partition a new 2TB SAMSUNG EVO SSD but found that the installer did not give the option to create an extended partition. (Why not?)

So I back-tracked on the installation at that point, and instead used Gparted to create the various partitions I wanted but not mount them at that point, because didn't see an option in Gparted for that. (Why not?)

I returned to the LM installer and then went through and formatted the (all primary) partitions and set the mount points for
/boot
/root
/home

and then created logical partitions from there to use all the unformatted space. I mounted the remaining partitions by literally typing:

/ <partition-name>

in the mount point drop-down, which until recently I didn't know you could do, but I understand that works. At least I recall doing that before successfully, unless I'm delusional.

The installation went well apparently, with all the partitions mounted (or so I believe), yet in previous installations I've performed of mint, I was able to go to a menu option called ''Places", where you could see the partitions you just mounted.

Pah! Nothing. Not a thing. Where did "Places" go to? How to see the partitions? No way to see the partitions. Not in File Manager. Not in Thunar. Not from 'Home'. Not from 'Other locations. The desktop is Xfce.

I also ran update manager to get all the latest updates and then re-booted for good measure.

Nothing. V. Frustrating.

Here is the output of slblk:

john@john-Lenovo:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 1.8T 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 499.7M 0 part /boot
├─sda2 8:2 0 120G 0 part /
├─sda3 8:3 0 16G 0 part [SWAP]
├─sda4 8:4 0 1K 0 part
├─sda5 8:5 0 160G 0 part /home
├─sda6 8:6 0 200G 0 part /various_media
├─sda7 8:7 0 16G 0 part /os_images
└─sda8 8:8 0 1.3T 0 part /veracrypt
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
john@john-Lenovo:~$

=========================================================

Here is similar output:

john@john-Lenovo:~$ sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list

/dev/sda1 ext4 /boot dd943ffb-c759-45d5-aaca-0eb6206eeee1
/dev/sda2 ext4 / 897f4e35-cdeb-4859-b5c3-0ed40f8ea297
/dev/sda3 swap [SWAP] 475dbcbe-8480-41cf-83f5-b4fedb0f3c1c
/dev/sda5 ext4 /home efd157a5-f0f2-448d-8a52-b7da4b068dcb
/dev/sda6 ext4 /various_media 8a07ac34-ce6a-4d0b-a415-ee00d7cc8fc5
/dev/sda7 ext4 /os_images 5083b677-8f1f-4536-8038-3162a29d2474
/dev/sda8 ext4 /veracrypt 058d6b81-97f0-4ed1-9904-05911c9fb032

=======================================================

Here is the output from /etc/fstab:

john@john-Lenovo:/etc$ cat fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=897f4e35-cdeb-4859-b5c3-0ed40f8ea297 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=dd943ffb-c759-45d5-aaca-0eb6206eeee1 /boot ext4 defaults 0 2
# /home was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=efd157a5-f0f2-448d-8a52-b7da4b068dcb /home ext4 defaults 0 2
# /os_images was on /dev/sda7 during installation
UUID=5083b677-8f1f-4536-8038-3162a29d2474 /os_images ext4 defaults 0 2
# /various_media was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=8a07ac34-ce6a-4d0b-a415-ee00d7cc8fc5 /various_media ext4 defaults 0 2
# /veracrypt was on /dev/sda8 during installation
UUID=058d6b81-97f0-4ed1-9904-05911c9fb032 /veracrypt ext4 defaults 0 2
# swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=475dbcbe-8480-41cf-83f5-b4fedb0f3c1c none swap sw 0 0
john@john-Lenovo:/etc$

========================================================

I also typed
$ mount -a

Nothing. I re-booted. Nothing.

Btw, the veracrypt partition is not encrypted. That's just a name. None of my partitions are encrypted.

To my lights, everything seems to be correctly mounted. What am I doing wrong?
Or if nothing wrong, is there some tool I can use not yet installed through which I can see my partitions?

Any help on where I'm going wrong would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mintybreath.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux Mint not showing new partitions.

Post by Flemur »

Mintybreath wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 pm
I returned to the LM installer and then went through and formatted the (all primary) partitions and set the mount points for
/boot
/root
/home
Pah! Nothing. Not a thing. Where did "Places" go to? How to see the partitions? No way to see the partitions. Not in File Manager. Not in Thunar. Not from 'Home'. Not from 'Other locations. The desktop is Xfce.
Or if nothing wrong, is there some tool I can use not yet installed through which I can see my partitions?
I see partitions in Devices when they're NOT mounted; you're seeing your mounted partitions in your terminal commands.

In thunar under Devices, it shows the unmounted partition (BU_EXT4) which also doesn't have an entry in /etc/fstab. Partitions with fstab entries don't show up under Devices, whether mounted or not.

The "Places" are actually Bookmarks that I put there by dragging the directory name (which could be a partition) over there.
thunar2.jpg
thunar2.jpg (15.19 KiB) Viewed 352 times
The DATA entry is a partition; most of the others are directories on that partition.

You can go to your partitions by navigating to /various_media, etc, in thunar, or typing those mount points in the "Location selector" (shows the current directory)
Edit: or, e.g. navigate to "/" and drag the /various_media directory into Places.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mintybreath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintybreath »

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The thing is, in previous installations, after creating partitions, I would see those partitions represented with hard drive icons in "Other Locations". That's what I'm looking for. At the moment, it looks like all the partitions I created are simply folders under the root, as though everything is one big single partition space. I want to see that. It happened before without my thinking about it.

I did what you suggested and dragged the folder over to 'places' and that made a shortcut, but it doesn't show a partition as such, just a shortcut to a folder, like it was any other folder under /.

Not sure what you mean by:
typing those mount points in the "Location selector" (shows the current directory)
Here's the thing. Even though all the terminal output says the partitions are mounted, if I right-click one of my ''partitions'' e.g. various_media and select properties, it clearly shows the location of the directory as being /.
Same with the other ''partitions'', which are all showing up just as folders, not partitions.

Or is there some concept I'm not getting?
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

At fstab,
The /, the /boot and /home
defaults 0 1
All the others
defaults 0 0
Reboot and check.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Mintybreath wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:14 pm
Here's the thing. Even though all the terminal output says the partitions are mounted, if I right-click one of my ''partitions'' e.g. various_media and select properties, it clearly shows the location of the directory as being /.
That's where, in fstab, you told it to mount the partitions:
/os_images
/various_media ...etc...
Same with the other ''partitions'', which are all showing up just as folders, not partitions.
A partition is mounted to a directory (folder); if the partition isn't mounted, it looks like an empty directory. If the partition is mounted, it looks like a directory, and might have files in it.

This command will show the mounted partitions:

Code: Select all

df
Try this:

ls -al /os_images 
and the same for your other mount points.
Mintybreath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintybreath »

asinoro wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:16 am
At fstab,
The /, the /boot and /home
defaults 0 1
All the others
defaults 0 0
Reboot and check.
Thanks but I'm not seeing that. The swap partition is 0,0. Only boot reads 0, 1

I have re-booted a number of times. Whatever is, is.

But I'm not sure what the significance of the numbers is.

asinoro wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:16 am
<file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=897f4e35-cdeb-4859-b5c3-0ed40f8ea297 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=dd943ffb-c759-45d5-aaca-0eb6206eeee1 /boot ext4 defaults 0 2
# /home was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=efd157a5-f0f2-448d-8a52-b7da4b068dcb /home ext4 defaults 0 2
# /os_images was on /dev/sda7 during installation
UUID=5083b677-8f1f-4536-8038-3162a29d2474 /os_images ext4 defaults 0 2
# /various_media was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=8a07ac34-ce6a-4d0b-a415-ee00d7cc8fc5 /various_media ext4 defaults 0 2
# /veracrypt was on /dev/sda8 during installation
UUID=058d6b81-97f0-4ed1-9904-05911c9fb032 /veracrypt ext4 defaults 0 2
# swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=475dbcbe-8480-41cf-83f5-b4fedb0f3c1c none swap sw 0 0
john@john-Lenovo:/etc$
Mintybreath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintybreath »

Flemur wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:47 am
Mintybreath wrote:
/os_images
/various_media ...etc...
A partition is mounted to a directory (folder); if the partition isn't mounted, it looks like an empty directory. If the partition is mounted, it looks like a directory, and might have files in it.

df
Try this:

ls -al /os_images 

So from your perspective then, it's correctly mounted and there's no problem. Is that correct?
If so, then it's just that in previous installations, as I say, LM was clearly able to identify my partitions with a hard drive icon and that's what I expected this time. I did not expect to just see a bunch of the folders I created sitting under / with nothing to identify them or differentiate them from any other folder that is actually mounted at /.

Is it like, that because file systems in Linux are ''attached'' or hooked onto partitions, or can be attached and unattached anywhere, that we have to un-accustom ourselves to seeing that space as a separate partition or drive?

I mean in Windows, separate space is separate space, and you know where your files are. They're on partition F: not E: and they stay put. So the concept of drive space and file system are integrated. If there's nothing wrong, maybe I need to integrate my ideas and wrap my head around what you're saying. All I know is that before, I could retain my sense of a partition and a file system together in a unified way.

Is there some way or some analogy for this to get this into my head?
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

Can you post the result of the command:

sudo parted -l ; mokutil --sb-state
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Mintybreath wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:30 pm
So from your perspective then, it's correctly mounted and there's no problem. Is that correct?
Not really, but from what you've posted, "maybe"; like I said, df shows the mounted partitions. Try typing it.
I did not expect to just see a bunch of the folders I created sitting under / with nothing to identify them or differentiate them from any other folder that is actually mounted at /.
Mount points are, indeed, just regular directories created with "mkdir". It's sort-of a shortcoming because if there's no partition mounted on the directory you can still write to the directory and the files are on the partition the directory is on, not on the unmounted partition, and you don't get any errors...
Is it like, that because file systems in Linux are ''attached'' or hooked onto partitions, or can be attached and unattached anywhere, that we have to un-accustom ourselves to seeing that space as a separate partition or drive?
A filesystem IS the partition. Windows uses "drive" to mean "partition".
I mean in Windows, separate space is separate space, and you know where your files are. They're on partition F: not E: and they stay put.
That's the same as in linux, the difference is that you get to everything from the "/" partition. For example, a separate /home partition is a pretty popular and useful idea, but there's still a /home directory under "/", but if that /home directory is a mount-point for a separate partition and the partition exists and is mounted, then the actual files are on the other partition and use space on the other partition. (The same thing happens in windows, but it's hidden from you - you get to other partitions from data - a pointer or whatever - stored on the OS partition, "C:" in windows, "/" in linux.)

Edit:
Here's an example: My partition labeled BU_EXT4 is for BackUp; normally it's not mounted except when I run a backup, then it's mounted to the directory /mnt/BU_EXT4 which I created with mkdir.

$ cd /mnt
$ ls
BU_EXT4  BU_NTFS  DATA	MT20
$ ls -a BU_EXT4
.  ..                 # = shows an empty directory
$ mount /mnt/BU_EXT4  # mount the partition to that directory **
$ ls -a BU_EXT4
.  ..  DATA  LBAK  lost+found  # shows the sub-directories on that backup partition, for data and LinuxOS BAK-ups.
$ 
** the OS knows "what goes where" from the fstab file:

$ grep BU_EXT4 /etc/fstab
LABEL=BU_EXT4  /mnt/BU_EXT4  ext4 defaults,noauto,user,noatime   0 2
Mintybreath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintybreath »

asinoro wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:08 am
Can you post the result of the command:

sudo parted -l ; mokutil --sb-state

Here's the output you requested:

john@john-Lenovo:~$ sudo parted -l ; mokutil --sb-state
[sudo] password for john:
Model: ATA Samsung SSD 860 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 525MB 524MB primary ext4 boot
2 525MB 129GB 129GB primary ext4
3 129GB 147GB 17.2GB primary linux-swap(v1)
4 147GB 2000GB 1854GB extended
5 147GB 318GB 172GB logical ext4
6 318GB 533GB 215GB logical ext4
7 533GB 550GB 17.2GB logical ext4
8 550GB 2000GB 1450GB logical ext4

======================================================
Mintybreath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintybreath »

Mintybreath wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:30 pm
Flemur wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:47 am
Mintybreath wrote:
/os_images
/various_media ...etc...

df
Try this:

ls -al /os_images 

If so, then it's just that in previous installations, as I say, LM was clearly able to identify my partitions with a hard drive icon and that's what I expected this time. I did not expect to just see a bunch of the folders I created sitting under / with nothing to identify them or differentiate them from any other folder that is actually mounted at /.

I mean in Windows, separate space is separate space, and you know where your files are. They're on partition F: not E: and they stay put. So the concept of drive space and file system are integrated. If there's nothing wrong, maybe I need to integrate my ideas and wrap my head around what you're saying. All I know is that before, I could retain my sense of a partition and a file system together in a unified way.

Is there some way or some analogy for this to get this into my head?
======================================================

I think I do understand now, but until this point, I didn’t understand how my partitions, which are supposed to be separate spaces with a separate file system for each partition, were all showing up under the main / or tree.

I mean, I think I get it now, from what has been said, that the folders are showing up exactly where I told them to show up. Yeah, but I don’t think I properly understood what “/various_media” actually meant, or I was doing at the time.

One piece of information I found on Stack Exchange was the following:

“Do NOT mount the partition on a mount point (such as /home/<foldername>) as it will then be part of that directory tree in your file manager and consequently will not show up.”

So could this be the problem?

So if that is the case, for example, if I wanted my partition “/various_media” to show up as a separate partition, should I simply remove the “/” from in front of the “/various_media”? Would that do it?

That is, how do I mount my partitions so that they have their own folder but on their own separate partition, and how can I see those partitions AS separate partitions.

What would I have to do to make my partitions visible? That’s all I really want.
Mintybreath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintybreath »

Flemur wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:39 pm
Mintybreath wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 pm
/boot
/root
/home
I see partitions in Devices when they're NOT mounted; you're seeing your mounted partitions in your terminal commands.

In thunar under Devices, it shows the unmounted partition (BU_EXT4) which also doesn't have an entry in /etc/fstab. Partitions with fstab entries don't show up under Devices, whether mounted or not.

The "Places" are actually Bookmarks that I put there by dragging the directory name (which could be a partition) over there.
thunar2.jpg
The DATA entry is a partition; most of the others are directories on that partition.

You can go to your partitions by navigating to /various_media, etc, in thunar, or typing those mount points in the "Location selector" (shows the current directory)
Edit: or, e.g. navigate to "/" and drag the /various_media directory into Places.

Yes, I did that since, -drag the example folder /various_media over to Places, but that still doesn't reveal to me or anyone, that this is a separate partition or volume. In previous installations, I have seen this, for example in "Other locations" it will show me the partitions as separate volumes and I can inspect then to show what's on them and how much space has been used.

If the partitions only show up as folders, how would anyone even suspect that they were separate partitions. I guess I want to see partitions that I can distinguish as separate volumes just like on windows. And I believe there is a way to do that. So maybe if I just remount the partitions and remove the "/" from in front of the folder name, maybe the partitions will then show up. Would that work bearing mind what I want to happen?
Larry78723
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Larry78723 »

If you were to mount them in /media instead /mnt they'd be shown individually under devices in Nemo. I'm not familiar with Thunar but there must be some equivalent thing.
Mintybreath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintybreath »

Larry78723 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:56 pm
If you were to mount them in /media instead /mnt they'd be shown individually under devices in Nemo. I'm not familiar with Thunar but there must be some equivalent thing.
Here's another computer I have running Linux. See how the partitions are shown under Devices and listed clearly as separate volumes.
Screenshot_2020-09-19_22-42-10.png
Larry78723
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Larry78723 »

Please post the results of the following command:

lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,UUID,MOUNTPOINT
Mintybreath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintybreath »

Larry78723 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:10 pm
Please post the results of the following command:

lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,UUID,MOUNTPOINT
Thanks Larry,
Here it is:

john@john-Lenovo:~$ lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,UUID,MOUNTPOINT
NAME SIZE FSTYPE UUID MOUNTPOINT
sda 1.8T
├─sda1 499.7M ext4 dd943ffb-c759-45d5-aaca-0eb6206eeee1 /boot
├─sda2 120G ext4 897f4e35-cdeb-4859-b5c3-0ed40f8ea297 /
├─sda3 16G swap 475dbcbe-8480-41cf-83f5-b4fedb0f3c1c [SWAP]
├─sda5 160G ext4 efd157a5-f0f2-448d-8a52-b7da4b068dcb /home
├─sda6 200G ext4 8a07ac34-ce6a-4d0b-a415-ee00d7cc8fc5 /various_media
├─sda7 16G ext4 5083b677-8f1f-4536-8038-3162a29d2474 /os_images
└─sda8 1.3T ext4 058d6b81-97f0-4ed1-9904-05911c9fb032 /veracrypt
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

The last information we missed is about your system's info.
Run this command and post it, by copy and paste between the code tags selecting the symbol </> at forum's text editor, the outcome will look like the command.

inxi -Fxxxrz
Correct also the outcome of the previous command outputs to look similar, it is more visible to the forum.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Larry78723 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:56 pm
Mounting to /media/username/something does indeed make the partition show up under Devices in thunar, but it shows up whether it's mounted or not; clicking it mounts it.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Mintybreath wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:24 pm
Yes, I did that since, -drag the example folder /various_media over to Places, but that still doesn't reveal to me or anyone, that this is a separate partition or volume.
That's partly be design - e.g. it's transparent whether or not /usr is a separate partition.

Mount the partitions under /media/username/whatever and they'll show up in thunar under Devices.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

Check also left pane > right click on DEVICES and see if all partitions are selected.

Return to “Installation & Boot”