Linux mint 20 boot error and video drivers error

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rafaelmouranogueira

Linux mint 20 boot error and video drivers error

Post by rafaelmouranogueira »

Hello, noble colleagues I am having some problems with my linux mint 20.

The installation occurs normally, but when starting the first time I configure everything normally and then I start to refine the system.

01. I update the kernel to the latest version (I don't remember the version)

02. install nvidia 450 drivers (latest version)

When restarting linux mint it already generates an error as if there was no bootloader for it,

therefore, it is necessary to restart using an old kernel, the installation kernel and only then be able to boot the system.

It turns out that when starting the system it apparently does not load nvidia's drivers, leaving the resolution low and no longer opening the nvidia control panel.

I have tried to install other drivers available in the driver manager and still none active, just the generic driver.

My system
Ryzen 3 3200G / B45M2 (Biostar) / GTX 1050TI (Gigabyte) / 2X4GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz (Best Memory) / NVME Kingdian 256GB / Gamaxx 400 / T-DAGGER CUBE

Sorry my bad english.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Linux mint 20 boot error and video drivers error

Post by gittiest personITW »

Hi,
Welcome to the forums.

Can we be clear - before you 'refine' your system, is everything working ok and it boots up when you restart without a problem?
rafaelmouranogueira

When I say refine, I say some settings like power not to block, smplayer settings, remove mozilla and thunderbird, add more launcher icons.
No adjustment within the kernel or within the system files.

When I boot everything is perfect, but it was enough to update the kernel that generates the error of the image I posted and also the video driver.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Thats fine.
Make sure you have Timeshift installed, create snapshots to a Non-System partition and preferably on a different drive (external if needed - needs to be EXT4), so if the same happens next time its usually easy to get back again.

As to now - depending if you did the kernel upgrade and the video drivers at the same time before rebooting - as there is some possibly conflicting sentences - that might cause a problem.
If you reckon it is the kernel upgrade, then miss this one out and try the next one.
If you graphics are working well then don't worry about upgrading the drivers.

If it was just the kernel upgrade that caused the problem, boot into GRUB and go to Advanced options to boot into your old kernel.

If you don't know how to do that, post back.
rafaelmouranogueira

gittiest personITW wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:41 am Thats fine.
Make sure you have Timeshift installed, create snapshots to a Non-System partition and preferably on a different drive (external if needed - needs to be EXT4), so if the same happens next time its usually easy to get back again.

As to now - depending if you did the kernel upgrade and the video drivers at the same time before rebooting - as there is some possibly conflicting sentences - that might cause a problem.
If you reckon it is the kernel upgrade, then miss this one out and try the next one.
If you graphics are working well then don't worry about upgrading the drivers.

If it was just the kernel upgrade that caused the problem, boot into GRUB and go to Advanced options to boot into your old kernel.

If you don't know how to do that, post back.

But NVME has no problems, I tested it with some programs and its health is great, it’s not even 2 months old, is it related to Linux not seeing NVME properly as it sees SATA devices?

And about NVIDIA drivers, which is the strangest, because even in the old kernel it doesn't load properly.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Nothing to do with your NVME.

Options in GRUB will let you load up your last 'working' kernel as long as your video driver hasn't also screwed things up.
rafaelmouranogueira

gittiest personITW wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:00 pm Nothing to do with your NVME.

Options in GRUB will let you load up your last 'working' kernel as long as your video driver hasn't also screwed things up.
As soon as I get home I will do a new installation of 0 and post the whole process.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Probably the best idea.

Once you have installed the Operating System, go to this site:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html
rafaelmouranogueira

One thing I found very strange was, whenever I update the kernel, in the updates that appear, it is where it generates the problem of not booting as I posted the photo, as if grub did not install on NVME, I don't remember what it was, but I saw something like SDA1 during the installation of the new kernel, how to check the installation of the kernel as it is? At the moment I'm using linux mint as the 5.0.0-32-generic kernel # 34 ~ 18.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 10 10:36:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU / Linux

But if I update the kernel then I lose the initialization by the new kernel, accessing penalties for the older one.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

That sounds strange if you are running LM20.
Support for 5.0 kernel stopped months ago so you should be using, if you are using MINT 19.3, either the 4.15 or the 5.4 kernel.
Can you copy/paste the output to the following commands.

Code: Select all

fdisk -l

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

When you've done that, highlight each output and press the </> button above the reply box.

Return to “Installation & Boot”