Mr_Wolfe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon (64 bit) won't boot

Post by Mr_Wolfe »

oceansky wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:45 pm
Hello,

I saw your post on my thread. My problem was quite similar to yours.

LM 20 seems buggy to me. Ubuntu 20.04.1(linux mint is based on it) is also buggy. I have downgraded my system to Linux mint 19.3. Since mine has Nvidia card also, i installed Nvidia driver 440.95.0.1. That fixed the problem.
I successfully installed Mint 20--or so I thought. After finishing the initial setup and doing the first round of updates, I restarted the system--only to realize about an hour later that it was frozen on a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner.
As i understand this correctly, you were successfully able to install LM 20 and run it for the first time but after updates and a reboot, screen froze with a cursor.

My suggestion.
1 Fresh install LM 19.3 (dont update it yet)
2 go to "Drivers Manager" check for missing drivers.
3 Incase it displays Nvidia driver select 440.95.0.1.
4 Restart the system
5 Now go for the updates.(Update Manager)
6 Restart again and check.

This is how the problem was solved in my case.
welcome to the Mint 20 Cinamon frequent installation club.
i got it working after 8th installation

So Good Luck !!
Thanks for the input! I agree that LM 20 seems to be pretty unreliable, judging from my experience and the number of people on these forums having similar trouble getting it to run. In the end I was able to download a new win 10 iso from microsoft, create a usb boot installer, and get windows installed and working on my husband's machine in about 15-20 minutes, vs the week or two I spent unsuccessfully trying to get mint 20 to work. I'm sorry to be back to using windows, but an alternative that doesn't work isn't really an alternative.

I'm still planning to give installing linux another try at some point--probably on an old laptop or something that I don't mind having out of commission for a while. For now though I'm taking a break and trying to recover the sanity I lost working on this. :lol:
It's not troubleshooting until you've seriously considered swearing off all technology and going to live in the woods.
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Re: [Abandoned] Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon (64 bit) won't boot

Post by antikythera »

For what it's worth, Mint 20.1 should a number of the reported issues with Mint 20. Maybe like with everything else it is better to wait for the first point release after a major re-base of the distribution.

Either that or plump for LMDE4 instead which is seemingly far less problematic at present.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon (64 bit) won't boot

Post by ZakGordon »

Mr_Wolfe wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:45 pm
I'm still planning to give installing linux another try at some point--probably on an old laptop or something that I don't mind having out of commission for a while. For now though I'm taking a break and trying to recover the sanity I lost working on this. :lol:
Another option is to not try the latest version (if you have not tried this)? Like give 19.1 or 19.3 (for example) a go by running the live session first (before installing this gives you a chance to 'test drive' Linux Mint and see if your hardware works).

I'm running a Ryzen based system with the brand new GTX 1650 Super 100% fine under Linux Mint 19.1. I have some installation tips in the link in my sig etc. Before i installed the system i ran the 'live session' from the DVD. Unless your hardware is the very latest you often are better running an older version of Linux, and being able to 'test drive' that before installing it is 100% the way to go when first moving away from Windows.

This is just in case you decide to give it a try again in the future :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Return to “Installation & Boot”