Before you post please read how to get help
jdubs
Level 1
Level 1

Grub/busybox 1.3 after boot selection

Post by jdubs »

Hi everyone,

I’m extremely new to Linux.

Basically I was trying to fix a Toshiba Satellite L655 for my gf mom.

It had a CMOS failure so I updated the time and date and saved. I realized this CMOS failure would come up anytime I unplugged the laptop from the power source. The laptop has no usable battery anyway. Anyway that being solved it brought me to windows 7 which would not boot up.

I thought let me try to install linux mint cinnamon on it and it worked via usb stick. I erased Windows 7 since it didn’t seem to work. I only have linux mint cinnamon now.I still had to set the BIOS time and date if it was unplugged but it seemed to be working.

I gave the laptop to the mom and it was unplugged after I first reset the BIOS for her but she said it worked when it was used again later after being replugged.

Fast forward a few days idk what happened but it stopped working. I’m guessing it has something to do with the BIOS resetting but I don’t know. She did plug in a Logitech mouse but that shouldn’t do anything.

It prompts me to select what I want to boot in GNU GRUB 2.04
(It didn’t do that before)

When I choose any option the LM logo comes up but then drops me into BusyBox 1.30.1

(initramsf)

Is there a good way to fix this? Do you believe this is because of BIOS and will happen anytime if it’s unplugged from installation of Linuxmint. Should I reinstall from the USB stick. I read maybe that the computer is not finding the OS.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Grub/busybox 1.3 after boot selection

Post by asinoro »

Maybe some of these will help you:
search.php?keywords=solved+fix+busybox
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Grub/busybox 1.3 after boot selection

Post by kelevra »

Hi jdubs, welcome to the forum. I recently had an issue that was very similar to yours. Here is a link to my solved post containing tests to verify the integrity of your HDD.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=330725
jdubs wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 am
It prompts me to select what I want to boot in GNU GRUB 2.04
(It didn’t do that before)

When I choose any option the LM logo comes up but then drops me into BusyBox 1.30.1

(initramsf)
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 20 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB

Return to “Installation & Boot”