Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lamerboger
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Unable to install Linux Mint 20 64-bit

Post by lamerboger »

I would like to install Mint along with Windows 10 if possible in a dual mode. I have Fujitsu Lifebook A555. Windows 10 is installed in legacy BIOS mode. Using Rufus and unetbootin (tried both), I have created a bootable USB drive. When I check BIOS to enable boot in legacy instead of UEFI, the option isn't present. I suspect that UEFI is not supported on my system. I have been trying to install Linux Mint 20 64-bit with different combinations but the installer gives no efi system partition was found... error. I even tried to remove all drives and then do a fresh install but before committing the changes, no efi error is shown again. I have verified that even if Mint is booted in compatibility mode, it still shows efi listed when I execute ls /sys/firmware.

Please help!
Last edited by lamerboger on Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikaelrask
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Unable to install Linux Mint 20 64-bit

Post by mikaelrask »

hey lamerboger and welcome to linux mint and the forum. in windows you have to open up the disk manager and shrink the disk to free up some harddisk. linux can't read the filesystem in windows 10, had it been a windows 7 it would not be a problem. second disable fast boot in windows and secure boot in bios aswell before continue with the installation.
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Graphic Card: nvidia 2070 super
Ram 16 GB
Kernel: 5.4.0.48-generic
kubuntu 20.04

Laptop:
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-245m
cinnamon 20
Kernel 5,4.0.48-generic
Ram 4 gb
lamerboger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lamerboger »

mikaelrask wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:26 am
hey lamerboger and welcome to linux mint and the forum. in windows you have to open up the disk manager and shrink the disk to free up some harddisk. linux can't read the filesystem in windows 10, had it been a windows 7 it would not be a problem. second disable fast boot in windows and secure boot in bios aswell before continue with the installation.
Happy to be here :)

Here is my disk allocation. I intend to use "50GB unallocated" for Linux Mint.
DiskMgmt.JPG

Fastboot is already disabled. And here are some additional snaps of current BIOS config on my laptop.
FastbootDisabled.JPG
SecureBootDisabled.JPG

Boot order doesn't list UEFI or legacy for selection.

Any other thing that I can try?
Last edited by lamerboger on Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
lamerboger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lamerboger »

Here is the boot order snap.
BootOrder.JPG
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

The drive, that you want to boot from, needs to be at the top of that list. So put the USB HDD (Sandisk) at the top.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lamerboger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lamerboger »

I have tried that as well, but the error shown was the same, so I reverted the BIOS settings to the default. In one post I read that Rufus was making the usb drive in uefi but unetbootin will automatically make it for legacy BIOS but that too didn't work! I usually press F12 and select usb drive for boot and select Linux Mint from there..
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

lamerboger wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:42 am
Windows 10 is installed in legacy BIOS mode.
You should install mint in legacy mode as well not UEFI. It will be somewhere in your BIOS settings. You need to check the drive with gparted (on the installation disk), if win was installed in legacy mode, then it will be a legacy (MBR or msdos) partition table. There is a limit of four primary partitions and win looks like it's used all of them. Before you can install mint you will need to delete one of your win partitions. One approach:
  • backup the contents of D:, and delete it.
  • create an extended partition in the space created.
  • create a logical partition in the extended partition format ntfs leaving as much unallocated space as you want to give mint. Restore your files from D:
That will allow mint to create a logical partition to install into.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
lamerboger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lamerboger »

AndyMH wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:39 am
lamerboger wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:42 am
Windows 10 is installed in legacy BIOS mode.
You should install mint in legacy mode as well not UEFI. It will be somewhere in your BIOS settings. You need to check the drive with gparted (on the installation disk), if win was installed in legacy mode, then it will be a legacy (MBR or msdos) partition table. There is a limit of four primary partitions and win looks like it's used all of them. Before you can install mint you will need to delete one of your win partitions. One approach:
  • backup the contents of D:, and delete it.
  • create an extended partition in the space created.
  • create a logical partition in the extended partition format ntfs leaving as much unallocated space as you want to give mint. Restore your files from D:
That will allow mint to create a logical partition to install into.
So I selected compatibility mode to boot up Mint. Repartitioned D drive -
Gparted.png

But again the same error -
Error.png

My BIOS has no option to change boot option to either UEFI or legacy.
Larry78723
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Larry78723 »

Let us see the Boot tab in your bios. That's where the choice is in mine.
lamerboger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lamerboger »

Larry78723 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:59 pm
Let us see the Boot tab in your bios. That's where the choice is in mine.
lamerboger wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:49 am
Here is the boot order snap.
BootOrder.JPG
Snapshot of boot order already attached above..
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

I've googled and can't find an answer on how to set the BIOS back to legacy, closest was this:
https://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/view ... hp?t=46490
but as far as I can tell, you've already done them.

Mint is booting in UEFI mode, that's why it wants an EFI partition when it installs. Don't know anyway round this (other than wiping win, reformatting your drive with a GPT partition table and re-installing win and then mint). Maybe someone else has a fujitsu laptop...
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
lamerboger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lamerboger »

AndyMH wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:21 pm
I've googled and can't find an answer on how to set the BIOS back to legacy, closest was this:
https://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/view ... hp?t=46490
but as far as I can tell, you've already done them.

Mint is booting in UEFI mode, that's why it wants an EFI partition when it installs. Don't know anyway round this (other than wiping win, reformatting your drive with a GPT partition table and re-installing win and then mint). Maybe someone else has a fujitsu laptop...
Thanks for your help Andy. I have tried browsing Fujitsu website to find if any latest BIOS version is present but couldn't. AFAIK, I have the latest v1.24. I am not sure what to do. I thought booting Mint in compatibility mode is suppose to make it boot in legacy but it doesn't appear to be working. I am also wondering that wiping HDD and trying to install Mint first may also prompt for efi drive when there is none.
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

Your Windows is installed in Legacy mode and your Disk 0 (from the Windows Disk Management) (sda in Linux) shows that you already had 4 partitions. You can't create another partition because the maximum is four in Legacy.

As I see, sda5 is a Logical Partition (in an Extended Partition) but it's formatted as NTFS. If you want to install Linux on sda5, you should format it as EXT4.

Can you post the following results of this command:

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
and paste the results in between code tags.
Last edited by JerryF on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

I can confirm you have the right settings in place already. CSM mode is enabled and that is the extent of what you can do with Fujitsu LIFEBOOK A series notebook BIOS. I have the LIFEBOOK A512 and the menu layout is identical. I am using EFI mode though with LMDE4.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

Just looking back at your screenshot showing the mint installer. You have set the destination for the bootloader (grub) as sda6, it should be just sda, you specify the drive not the partition. What should happen is the mint will overwrite the windows bootloader (on a legacy drive it hides the gap between the end of the partition table and start of the first partition) and give you a choice of mint or win on boot.

Don't think this will fix the UEFI boot problem.

Note - if you go down the nuclear option and wipe win, you should be able to do this with the 'erase and install' option in the mint installer. If booting UEFI, it will erase the drive, create a GPT partition table and create the partitions it needs (including the EFI partition). If you do this - take a backup of win first - I'd take an image backup of sda to an external drive.

EDIT - quick google suggests that this https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal ... -as-1-2-3/ creates a usb stick that only boots in legacy. Worth a shot?
lamerboger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lamerboger »

AndyMH wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:17 pm
Just looking back at your screenshot showing the mint installer. You have set the destination for the bootloader (grub) as sda6, it should be just sda, you specify the drive not the partition. What should happen is the mint will overwrite the windows bootloader (on a legacy drive it hides the gap between the end of the partition table and start of the first partition) and give you a choice of mint or win on boot.

Don't think this will fix the UEFI boot problem.

Note - if you go down the nuclear option and wipe win, you should be able to do this with the 'erase and install' option in the mint installer. If booting UEFI, it will erase the drive, create a GPT partition table and create the partitions it needs (including the EFI partition). If you do this - take a backup of win first - I'd take an image backup of sda to an external drive.

EDIT - quick google suggests that this https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal ... -as-1-2-3/ creates a usb stick that only boots in legacy. Worth a shot?
Recreated usb drive with pendrivelinux and got the same error. Maybe there is a flag to force boot mint in legacy mode?
SameError.png
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

If there is a way, I'm all ears. I can recreate the same behaviour with my LIFEBOOK laptop too as long as the internal storage drive has an ms-dos partition layout instead of gpt. It only affects Mint and LMDE4 ISO for what it's worth. I tried Debian Buster, Ubuntu 20.04, a relatively new KDE Neon based on ubuntu 20.04, OpenSUSE 15 and they boot in legacy mode fine. Mint however starts in EFI. There are no separate entries with these laptops for EFI or CSM mode in the boot menu either. So combine the two quirks, one from the laptop firmware and the other from Mint's ISO build process and you have the perfect storm.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
lamerboger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lamerboger »

antikythera wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 am
If there is a way, I'm all ears. I can recreate the same behaviour with my LIFEBOOK laptop too as long as the internal storage drive has an ms-dos partition layout instead of gpt. It only affects Mint and LMDE4 ISO for what it's worth. I tried Debian Buster, Ubuntu 20.04, a relatively new KDE Neon based on ubuntu 20.04, OpenSUSE 15 and they boot in legacy mode fine. Mint however starts in EFI. There are no separate entries with these laptops for EFI or CSM mode in the boot menu either. So combine the two quirks, one from the laptop firmware and the other from Mint's ISO build process and you have the perfect storm.
Honestly, I don't want to remove Win10 to get Mint, atleast not yet. I have had issues with random reboots with almost all linux variants that I had installed from the scratch. I wanted to try Mint first at a much lower level for a couple of months before making the switch. But I think I may have to drop the plan if I am unable to get this working :(
lamerboger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lamerboger »

I found a way to boot Mint in legacy mode. After making the USB drive bootable via Rufus/unetbootin or any other software, open the drive and remove EFI folder. Reboot into USB drive and it should boot in legacy mode.
lamerboger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lamerboger »

antikythera wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 am
If you still would like to try a way, try to create a bootable usb drive and delete EFI folder. This worked for me. I am now running both Mint and Win10. This post is from Mint ;)

Return to “Installation & Boot”