Could not install security update (Solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Could not install security update (Solved)

Post by Alvin »

My update notification in the system tray showed a new update for installation. When I tried to install it, I received the following message:

Firefox
82.0.3+ linuxmint1 +tricia
Could not install the security update
Screenshot from 2020-11-22 10-16-56.png
The above is a screenshot of an error message I received.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cpedretti
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Could not install security update

Post by cpedretti »

Alvin wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:21 am My update notification in the system tray showed a new update for installation. When I tried to install it, I received the following message:

Firefox
82.0.3+ linuxmint1 +tricia
Could not install the security update

Screenshot from 2020-11-22 10-16-56.png

The above is a screenshot of an error message I received.
Hi try this one to repair broken packages => https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-brok ... ges-ubuntu
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 32GB DDR4 RGB White - RTX4060TI O8GB White- SSD NVME Crucial P5 500GB - Mobo Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550 V2 - PSU Corsair RM750 White - Case Corsair 5000D Airflow White 7 fans AF120 ARGB - AIO Corsair H100I Cappelix 240 White
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

I looked at the instructions the link provided and decided the procedure might be time consuming and, even then, might not work.

This, that failed, is called a security update. My view is that since security is involved, Linux should offer an update that works. I should not have to troubleshoot it. As matters stand, I do not notice any problem in my system. I'll just let it pass. Thanks for your suggestion.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Refresh Update Manager. It shows an old Firefox that has been superseded by a newer version (should be 83.0).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Alvin wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:32 pm I looked at the instructions the link provided and decided the procedure might be time consuming and, even then, might not work.
Really? There are only 7 commands under the "Fixing Broken Packages in Ubuntu" (which Mint is based on) to try and they may work.

If you're going to ask for help and members offer it to you, I think it's polite to at least try their suggestions.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

A request for help with a problem is not a commitment to follow the help that is offered. Recall, your suggestion came with no guarantee it would work, and no guarantee was sought. There is no discourtesy in choosing not to do so. I did thank you. That is all that courtesy requires of me.

Following your suggestions came Pjotr's message, which seems easier to me. Am I required to follow a path that is more complicated simply because you offered it? Very odd!
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

Pjotr: Firefox tells me that I have the latest update to my system: 81.0 When a new update is available, the announcement will be made - I am told. I shall wait for it. Thanks.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Could not install security update (Solved)

Post by sleeper12 »

You could also try changing your Mirrors in Software Sources.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Alvin wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:16 pm A request for help with a problem is not a commitment to follow the help that is offered. Recall, your suggestion came with no guarantee it would work, and no guarantee was sought. There is no discourtesy in choosing not to do so. I did thank you. That is all that courtesy requires of me.

Following your suggestions came Pjotr's message, which seems easier to me. Am I required to follow a path that is more complicated simply because you offered it? Very odd!
I wasn't the one who offered the help. My point was that it was only 7 commands to run (not that time consuming).

The easiest way sometimes is not the best way to get a problem resolved.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Alvin wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:27 pm Pjotr: Firefox tells me that I have the latest update to my system: 81.0
Well, you don't.... It should be 83.0, and you should be offered that in Update Manager (after refreshing it).

Try this:
Close Update Manager and execute this terminal command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Could not install security update (Solved)

Post by Alvin »

Pjotr: I followed your suggestion to a successful installation of the 83.0 version of Firefox. I restarted, and the X in the update notification was changed to a check: all updates received. You have helped me in the past with other issues as well. Thank you once more! Now my issue is truly solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”