Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Seff
Level 4
Level 4

Repair Grub

Post by Seff »

I recently reinstalled Mint 20, but my WiFi quit working while Grub was being installed. As a result, I get a Grub prompt every time I reboot. (Dunno why it can't just be copied from the installation media.) So I put Boot Repair Disk on a USB stick. Problem solved- not: apparently the "bootable USB" tool insists on use FAT partitions! What is going on here?

The problem is that Grub thinks my root partition is /dev/sda2 when it's really /dev/sda3, and I don't know which file to edit.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Repair Grub

Post by zcot »

Post some info.

Typically you would use a chroot scenario to the installed file system, from the live Mint usb/dvd, to reinstall grub.

But using "boot-repair", which is already an installed program available on the live Mint usb/dvd will often do that same solution automatically, and accurately. Sometimes it can get interesting if you have multiple drives and multiple installed systems, -maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But a simple setup is usually no problems. And it makes a complete detailed log of the setup.

An UEFI/GPT setup is going to need to use a fat partition.
bendipa
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bendipa »

From Live Mint, post up results of: lsblk -o name,partlabel,mountpoint,fstype,uuid
Computer: Dell Vostro 470
Systems: Linux Mint 19.3, Ubuntu 18.04, Windows 10 (1909), Windows 7 Pro
pebcak
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pebcak »

Regarding the "chroot scenario" mentioned by @zcot, here is a how-to:

Code: Select all

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/grub-uefi-repair.html

Return to “Installation & Boot”