Hey guys. Really fed up with long boot times.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Sunsilence0542
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Hey guys. Really fed up with long boot times.

Post by Sunsilence0542 »

senjoz wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:40 pm
@ Sunsilence0542
In the outputs you posted I do not see long delays. Boot time 48 seconds is not that bad for a 5400 rpm spinning disk. I have no suggestion how to improve that.

Regards, Jože
Sir I am pretty sure it takes longer than 48 secs for my password entry screen to come on and then for the desktop to be visible. I'm not sure if this is the fault of my desktop or anything. Please try to help if possible
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Re: What's going on here??

Post by Moem »

vandamme wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:35 pm
My wife and I both have SSDs, and Mint 20 takes almost two minutes.
I also boot MX and KDE Neon, and they take 20 seconds max. There seems to be a big holdup here, but why??
If you want help with that, please start a topic of your own. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Da Londo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Hey guys. Really fed up with long boot times.

Post by Da Londo »

Sunsilence0542 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:41 pm
senjoz wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:40 pm
@ Sunsilence0542
In the outputs you posted I do not see long delays. Boot time 48 seconds is not that bad for a 5400 rpm spinning disk. I have no suggestion how to improve that.

Regards, Jože
Sir I am pretty sure it takes longer than 48 secs for my password entry screen to come on and then for the desktop to be visible. I'm not sure if this is the fault of my desktop or anything. Please try to help if possible
Idd, can't see anything special there, you could look at Startup Applications if something there could be turned off. Otherwise I would reinstall the whole thing, easy enough with LM.
vandamme
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED: Re: What's going on here??

Post by vandamme »

Flemur wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:53 pm
vandamme wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:35 pm
There seems to be a big holdup here, but why??
graphical.target @1min 40.792s
Are you running Cinnamon?
I had just upgraded to Mint Cinnamon 20 (from 19.3), and backed up like a good boy. But I had my portable HDD plugged in when I upgraded, then unplugged it. Mint then spent a minute looking for it at boot.... The solution is to take the entry for the ext HDD out of /etc/fstab.

20 second boot on a 9 year old PC isn't so bad. So slow boot is not an innate problem with Cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”