[Solved] kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
since2019
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on

Post by since2019 »

after updating systemd from the list of updates in linux mint 19.3 32-bit and rebooting

grub appears fine, boot continues without linux mint logo and then

Error: Invalid extent
press any key to continue...

some seconds and
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

(the installation is almost fresh, like a month or two of use with some updates.
there is no other kernels to select).
this screenshot with laptop not responding. caps and num lock not working.
Attachments
BOOT ERROR SCREEN
BOOT ERROR SCREEN
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inxi -Fxz
laptop Kernel: 5.0.0-32-generic i686 bits Cinnamon 4.4.5 Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia TOSHIBA Satellite A135 Dual Core Intel T2080 M Yonah, 800/1733 MHz, Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS Express Integrated Graphics, Drive 111.79 GiB, Memory 0.93 GiB
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on

Post by JoeFootball »

since2019 wrote: (the installation is almost fresh, like a month or two. there is no other kernels to select).
this screenshot with laptop not responding.
A kernel panic can be caused by any number of things, both software and hardware.

Did you verify the ISO prior to installation?

Also, boot to a live session, and post the output of inxi -Fxxxrz between [code][/code] tags.
since2019
Level 3
Level 3

Post by since2019 »

is this a real working fix solution?
https://www.sololinux.es/solucion-a-ker ... vSA4Tk4Fe8

this is not a solution in this case, there is no other kernel updates list installed (1 or 2 months of use only)
https://www.geekswarrior.com/2019/07/so ... linux.html
Last edited by since2019 on Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inxi -Fxz
laptop Kernel: 5.0.0-32-generic i686 bits Cinnamon 4.4.5 Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia TOSHIBA Satellite A135 Dual Core Intel T2080 M Yonah, 800/1733 MHz, Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS Express Integrated Graphics, Drive 111.79 GiB, Memory 0.93 GiB
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

since2019 wrote: is this a real working fix solution?
Those do appear to be solutions to whatever is specifically causing those particular kernel panics.

As to if your causes are the same, no one will be able to say without some information.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

boot with a live mint iso no matter what version and open Disks click on your drive/root partition and check the UUID matches what you currently have for /etc/fstab
since2019
Level 3
Level 3

Post by since2019 »

seems to be is not the correct person for help. this is a serious issue and no time to waste.
now the iso that was good is not working... this is incredible.
you haven't read all the thing.

3 partitions, mint, other linux and windows. mint cant boot because the kernel panic (after the systemd update), other linux working, windows working.
main operating system: mint

installed an update (from the list of mint) of the file systemd
rebooted
and the errors

i showed you some research, two (2) sites with some "solutions" but im not really sure.
inxi -Fxz
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

since2019 wrote: seems to be is not the correct person for help.
Very well then. I do hope you find the correct person.
since2019 wrote: this is a serious issue and no time to waste.
Given that time is of the essence, and that this is a relatively new installation, would a reinstall be an option?
since2019 wrote: now the iso that was good is not working... this is incredible.
Do you mean that the LM live media is no longer booting? If so, can you just recreate it?
since2019 wrote:you haven't read all the thing.
I certainly had, as well as the edits that you've made to your posts since then.
since2019 wrote: installed an update (from the list of mint) of the file systemd
rebooted
and the errors
I'm aware that you're attributing the kernel panic to a systemd update, and not anything else.
since2019 wrote: i showed you some research
But still no system details. I think you're going to have better chance of someone assisting you if you can provide them.
since2019 wrote: two (2) sites with some "solutions" but im not really sure.
Nor am I. It would be difficult to conclusively say the cause(s) of your kernel panic is the same cause(s) in those solutions. Kernel panics can be caused by many things, both software and hardware. Sometimes it can be a combination of things. This is what makes them so challenging to troubleshoot.

Best of luck to you.
since2019
Level 3
Level 3

Post by since2019 »

Given that time is of the essence, and that this is a relatively new installation, would a reinstall be an option?
there is a reinstall option? it means new clean installation?.
this is crazy, i google it and no reinstall. can't do backup, there is no mint to make it.
im stuck, i got the usb but seems that the mint iso file was working on the past but not now, checked it with the other linux.
Nor am I. It would be difficult to conclusively say the cause(s) of your kernel panic is the same cause(s) in those solutions. Kernel panics can be caused by many things, both software and hardware. Sometimes it can be a combination of things. This is what makes them so challenging to troubleshoot.
perhaps is some parts of the disk, previously was slow and then mint was not booting
initramfs appears
did exit
then fsck /dev/sda1 -y
reboot

mint was working again. then i updated the systemd (from the update list) and now is worse than before. stuck.
Error: Invalid extent
press any key to continue...

after continue some seconds
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
incredible situation.

can't boot live usb, need to download iso again without enough internet for that. it will take me more days to try to fix mint. perhaps by weekend i will end it fixing it. once again other situation that makes me dissapointed about technology, not working system by a simple update and without options to fix it.
no options or terminal command to do it from the other working linux?

maybe in the future linux will have a better booting fixes without dvd or live usb from disk!
is incredible, other linux iso check fine, windows iso fine, mint iso wrong or fail.... incredible stuck, bad luck with system and iso. both fails.

you don't know, reading the 2 threads appears like "solution or working fix" and you didn't say this or that will work. the worst part is i don't know how much time some others will answer and for the moderator making a repost of the same is not good to do. i will try disk integrity check when i got the mint iso again and then the https://www.sololinux.es/solucion-a-ker ... vSA4Tk4Fe8 possible solution waiting for success and not to fail.

if mint works again i will use this
https://linuxhint.com/linux_mint_boot_repair/

if doesn't work, i will delete this post and make a new one again of this problem (with some differences).

mint is almost the best but not perfect. now im dissapointed.
mx is horrible, buggy, not solid and refined, looks and feel old. if everything works fine i will replace it mx with LMDE.
inxi -Fxz
since2019
Level 3
Level 3

Post by since2019 »

i will post the steps.

right now i downloaded mint iso.
creating live usb
inxi -Fxz
since2019
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Re: kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on

Post by since2019 »

I was really dissapointed, some update from the list (systemd) and no system working but i find the real solution working fix.
now im happy again, i didn't have to make a fresh install. liux need to make a better system recovery with or without livedvd or liveusb in the future.
This worked for real:

Start or boot with a livedvd or liveusb, after boot open terminal:

sudo fdisk -l
sda? is the boot partition disk, you will see it with the first command
sudo mount /dev/sda? /mnt
sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
sudo chroot /mnt

and now you can make update-initramfs and update-grub without errors.
If you don't know your version. Use:
dpkg --list | grep linux-image | uname -r
update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.38-8-generic (or your version)

And just update Grub.

update-grub2

Reboot your system.

i saw that linux mint name was changed to ubuntu, just update grub on the working mint and perhaps will be recover the name again.

this is a working solution found in another site searched with google.
inxi -Fxz

Return to “Installation & Boot”