Dual boot windows10/Mint20, Asus laptop's display hangs after grub menu, with empty, black screen- Solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pm-c
Level 1
Level 1

Dual boot windows10/Mint20, Asus laptop's display hangs after grub menu, with empty, black screen- Solved

Post by pm-c »

I have just installed Linux Mint 20 in dual boot with Windows 10. Windows is doing OK.
One out of 10 times I am succeeding in booting Mint from the grub 2.04 menu.
Mostly the display hangs, leaving the screen black and empty, after I pressed the default '*Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon' in the grub menu.

On the latter case
- I press and hold for a while the power-on key,
- in the new grub menu I choose 'Advanced options for Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon',
- then 'Linux Mint 20, with Linux 5.4.0-59 generic (recovery mode).
In the following screens I choose 'Resume normal upstart', and finally get a version of Mint 20 (without brightness control).

At the upper right corner of the screen there is a message (translated from danish):
"Check Your drivers for the graphics card.
Your system currently running without hardware acceleration of the graphics card.
Start 'driver management'."
Messages from driver management:
"Your computer does not need any additional drivers".

At the lower right corner there is a message:
"Some system reports require your attention",
which leads to the Crash report (see below).

How do I get a proper function of grub?
Maybe the solution is to use the "Compatibility Mode" boot option, but if so, do I really have to reinstall Mint, or is there a way to do it from inside the existing Mint version?

Crash report: https://pastebin.com/LBV6Hfbs

System information: //pastebin.com/cFF3XzVM
Last edited by pm-c on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Dual boot windows10/Mint20, Asus laptop's display hangs after grub menu, with empty, black screen

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please post output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
in code tags.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Dual boot windows10/Mint20, Asus laptop's display hangs after grub menu, with empty, black screen

Post by SMG »

Welcome to the forum, pm-c.

Recovery mode does not install graphics drivers (see N/A below) so it is expected to get the message saying you are running without them. Mint needs to be booted normally for the graphics drivers to install.

Graphics:
Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 515 vendor: ASUSTeK driver: N/A
bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:191e
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: fbdev unloaded: modesetting,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~77Hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.2.6
compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes
pm-c wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:27 pm
One out of 10 times I am succeeding in booting Mint from the grub 2.04 menu.
Mostly the display hangs, leaving the screen black and empty, after I pressed the default '*Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon' in the grub menu.
There is a known issue with ASUS laptops not wanting to boot Mint 20 if the laptop is not plugged in. A link to a workaround is in this thread [SOLVED] Mint 20 in laptop won't boot if power cable unplugged.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
pm-c
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pm-c »

Thank You for the answer.
I always start up with the laptop plugged in.
Anyway, I tried to add 'iommu=soft' to grub, but without any success, so I went back to the old "quiet splash".
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

You have a different ASUS laptop than the one in this thread (SOLVED) Linux 20 fails to boot after apt upgrade (intel grahics card), but maybe the intel microcode update which cased the problem in that thread might be the issue in your situation as well.

According to the solution listed in this post, reinstalling would be necessary to try that theory.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
bertradio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bertradio »

I had a similar problem on my Asus laptop with a recent kernel update. I was able to fix the problem by selecting Advanced from the grub menu and then "grub - Update the grub bootloader". After this the laptop has booted normally. Not sure what the problem was, but this fixed it.
pm-c
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pm-c »

Thank you, bertradio, for your answer.
Unfortunately, 'Update the grub bootloader' did not fix my problem.
pm-c
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pm-c »

SMG, do you mean I should
1. Install Linux Mint 20 Ulyana from scratch
2. In the update manager, add the intel-microcode=3.20201110.0ubuntu0.20.04.2 package to the ignore list
3. Apply the rest of the updates.
As son as I have figured out how to add something to the ignore list, I will try it out (above 1 - 3).
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

pm-c wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:50 pm
SMG, do you mean I should
1. Install Linux Mint 20 Ulyana from scratch
2. In the update manager, add the intel-microcode=3.20201110.0ubuntu0.20.04.2 package to the ignore list
3. Apply the rest of the updates.
As son as I have figured out how to add something to the ignore list, I will try it out (above 1 - 3).
Yes, that is the suggestion in the other thread.

I do not currently have any pending updates in Update Manager, so I can not check how to put something on ignore. Try checking to see if it is a right-click option? If not, under Edit > Preferences > Blacklist (middle selection) click the + in the lower right corner and add the information requested to add a package to the blacklist.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
pm-c
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dual boot windows10/Mint20, Asus laptop's display hangs after grub menu, with empty, black screen- Solved

Post by pm-c »

Followed 1 - 3 in the last post.
Now everything works just fine.
Thank you for your help, SMG.
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Dual boot windows10/Mint20, Asus laptop's display hangs after grub menu, with empty, black screen- Solved

Post by SMG »

You're welcome. Glad it is now working for you.

Since I posted, I was able to check and verify there is an option to right-click an update to put it on the blacklist. There are two options. One can either just specifically put that one update on the list or put it and all subsequent updates to that package on the list.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
pm-c
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pm-c »

I just reinstalled Mint.
Which one of the options should I choose?
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

It is my understanding updates are cumulative. Until a future update fixes whatever is causing this issue, you may want to stop all future updates.

Or you could just stop this specific update. Then take a Timeshift snapshot of your working system. If any future updates do not fix the problem, you could roll back to the snapshot and then stop the next update which caused the problem. And take that approach until it gets fixed.

I do not specifically know what the issue is, so I can not advise you on what to look for in changelogs to know if the problem is fixed.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
bertradio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bertradio »

Have you checked your BIOS version? I have a UX305UA and ran into the same problem with 19.3

After trying a lot of things, I discovered my BIOS was version 201 from 2015. The Asus support site had an update to version 302 from 2019. I installed this and it now appears the machine is properly booting.
pm-c
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pm-c »

Thank you, bertradio.
I have some problems with Asus support. Their site can't recognize my Asus UX305CA, so I can't get an update version.
I will be back as son as the problem is solved.
bertradio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bertradio »

I was able to access for the UX305CA and found the BIOS update to downoad here https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/U ... AAS304.zip
pm-c
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pm-c »

'ASUS Tek Easy Flash Utility' tells me about
(FS0 0) UX305CA-AS.304 616 2432 bytes:

"Invalid BIOS file!!"

I have tried both your file and one, I downloaded, with the same result.
Will try to update Bios from Windows.
bertradio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bertradio »

Strange. It looks like the right file.

I did the update from Windows on my UX305UA and it worked.

Regardless of your current problem, it's probably a good idea to update the BIOS.

Good luck.
pm-c
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pm-c »

Some exercise with Easy Flash Utility or a new USB Flash drive or both made the difference.
UEFI: American Megatrends v: UX305CA.304 date: 04/24/2019 is now up and running, and I could update Mint without having any failures.
For me, this is the end of a long journey.
Thank you, SMG and bertradio, for your help.
bertradio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bertradio »

Great. I went through a lot of the same frustrations. Glad to be of help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”