Mint 20.1 fresh install black screen (NVidia GTX 1080)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
likewise
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 20.1 fresh install black screen (NVidia GTX 1080)

Post by likewise »

After a fresh install of Mint 20.1 Cinnamon, screen remained black. This is with recent hardware and a NVidia GTX 1080.

I had to boot with "systemd.unit=emergency.target nomodeset" appended to the kernel command line, then remount my root filesystem read-writable, then blacklist nouveau. I could then boot with the VESA driver, and use the driver manager to install the NVidia proprietary driver.

After reboot, the NVidia driver did not load due to signature mismatch.

I found that was caused by another known issue where the ramdisk cannot be decoded on boot.

There is a fix posted in this forum where you change the initramfs compression to gzip and re-generate the initramfs.

I am very happy with Mint as an alternative to Ubuntu. I hope the 20.1 install experience can be improved for new users.

Thanks
Last edited by likewise on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
likewise
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 20.1 fresh install black screen (NVidia GTX 1080)

Post by likewise »

Next day, the system boots without the NVidia driver again. The signature of the module is invalid.
I verified the compression is still gzip and I regenerated the initramfs.

What is happening here?
Last edited by likewise on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 16
Level 16

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 20.1 fresh install black screen (NVidia GTX 1080)

Post by SMG »

If you are still looking for help with this, edit the title of the first post and remove [SOLVED] from it.

Then give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.2 Cinnamon.