Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Thunderbird
Level 1
Level 1

HELP... Deleted partition, booting to Grub

Post by Thunderbird »

Oh no... I got a new laptop for Christmas. I decided to try Linux Mint Cinnamon on it, so created an ext4 partition and installed Mint on that. Did all the upgrades etc. Working in Mint, I thought I kept finding problems with my computer! HDMI port doesn't recognize an external monitor; touchpad doesn't work at all; no speakers and no microphone detected. Also, even when I just booted up and didn't open any programs, the fan would start whirring like crazy and never stop. System Monitor showed a process called Cinnamon wildly using random amounts of CPU (35%, 3%, 68%, changing every few seconds.)

So I booted into Windows 10, as I had preserved dual boot, and wouldn't you know... every single function works perfectly. I decided something was wrong with the Linux Mint, deleted that ext4 partition, and happily worked away in Windows for a while, decidng what other Linux distro to try installing.

Well, I made a bootable iso for Xubuntu (see if the touchpad and so forth would work with a different and much lighter version) and tried to boot into it.

I can't boot into Windows, I can't boot into a bootable USB for Xubuntu, and I can't even boot into the original bootable Linux Mint Cinnamon. All that comes up no matter what USB I have plugged in or whether I'm holding down the shift key is a black screen, a whirring fan, and "Gnu GRUB version 2.04. Minimal BASH- like like line editing is supported, etc..." then the prompt: grub>

Please help! I have no idea what to type into that or even why I would want to type it. I am like those aliens on that TNG episode where they kidnapped Geordie LaForge, saying, "Can you make our ship go?"
SMG
Level 9
Level 9

Re: HELP... Deleted partition, booting to Grub

Post by SMG »

Thunderbird wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:44 pm
Oh no... I got a new laptop for Christmas. I decided to try Linux Mint Cinnamon on it, so created an ext4 partition and installed Mint on that. Did all the upgrades etc. Working in Mint, I thought I kept finding problems with my computer! HDMI port doesn't recognize an external monitor; touchpad doesn't work at all; no speakers and no microphone detected. Also, even when I just booted up and didn't open any programs, the fan would start whirring like crazy and never stop. System Monitor showed a process called Cinnamon wildly using random amounts of CPU (35%, 3%, 68%, changing every few seconds.)
Those all sound like common problems people post about here on the forum where they get the issues resolved.

If you got a very new model computer, you probably needed to use the 5.8 kernel rather than the standard 5.4 kernel which comes with LM20. But, you didn't bother asking for help here, so we have no idea what the issue may have been.
Thunderbird wrote:
So I booted into Windows 10, as I had preserved dual boot, and wouldn't you know... every single function works perfectly. I decided something was wrong with the Linux Mint, deleted that ext4 partition, and happily worked away in Windows for a while, decidng what other Linux distro to try installing.
How did you "delete" the partition? One does not usually "delete" a partition to remove a Linux install. One just overwrites the install with the new version. You have a new computer which most likely means it runs UEFI. That means the OS's which have been loaded are in the EFI tables.
Thunderbird wrote:
Well, I made a bootable iso for Xubuntu (see if the touchpad and so forth would work with a different and much lighter version) and tried to boot into it.

I can't boot into Windows, I can't boot into a bootable USB for Xubuntu, and I can't even boot into the original bootable Linux Mint Cinnamon. All that comes up no matter what USB I have plugged in or whether I'm holding down the shift key is a black screen, a whirring fan, and "Gnu GRUB version 2.04. Minimal BASH- like like line editing is supported, etc..." then the prompt: grub>
Can you boot into the BIOS/UEFI?

I do not know if I can help you with this situation, but those who can would probably need to know at least a little bit of information about what type of computer this is.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Re: HELP... Deleted partition, booting to Grub

Post by AndyMH »

I can't boot into Windows, I can't boot into a bootable USB for Xubuntu
On start at the manufacturer's splash screen press whatever key gives you the BIOS boot list, on my thinkpads it's F12, on my desktop F11. You should see an entry for windows boot loader which will enable you to boot win. You should also be able to select your usb stick to boot from. Installing Xubuntu dual boot should fix the problem as it will reinstall grub. Your problem is that by deleting the linux partition you deleted grub. If you want to always boot into win, just move it to the top of the boot list in BIOS.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Installation & Boot”