Linux Mint only boots when charger is plugged in

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DragonArrow9

Linux Mint only boots when charger is plugged in

Post by DragonArrow9 »

I am fairly new to Linux and I just installed Linux Mint on my Acer Aspire 5 version: A515-43-R19L. Everything worked great except that now I can only boot when the charger is plugged in. When I try to boot without the charger I get the mint logo for a few seconds then this message: AMD-Vi: Unable to read/write to IOMMU perf counter. Then a black screen with the white bar in the top left corner. I don't know that that message means, and I don't remember if it also was there while booting with the charger. To try and fix this, I went into the bios settings and disabled secure boot and fast boot, but that didn't help. From another forum, I went into the grub config and changed GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash dis_ucode_ldr". That didn't work either though, probably since it was for dell computers. If anyone could help me out with this that would be great!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: Linux Mint only boots when charger is plugged in

Post by rossdv8 »

Since you can edit GRUB, you might also like to try the suggestion in this link (specifically relates to iommu):

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/628 ... ertificate

It might or might not work...

The following is quoted from the link - but perhaps you might like to read it before you try it..
Answer

I'm running debian on my laptop Lenovo XiaoXin pro13 (Ideapad s540 13) AMD ryzen 4800u, and encounter the same issues.

I fixed the " AMD-Vi: Unable to read/write to IOMMU perf counter" by editing the grub config file at /etc/default/grub and added

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft"
and update grub config by execute

sudo update-grub
To fix another error just go into your laptop bios, disable the Secure Boot and Reset it to Setup Mode
Hope you find a solution ...
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
DragonArrow9

Post by DragonArrow9 »

Thanks for the reply,
But a few days after I posted this I updated the kernel and that fixed the charger issue. I will change grub to try to fix that other problem.
anirudh09041
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anirudh09041 »

How did you updated the kernel.
Because I am also facing the same problem.
anirudh09041
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anirudh09041 »

This is what I get when I boot into Linux mint.

My laptop specs are:
Asus tuf fx505dt
Ryzen5 3550H
Nvidia GeForce 1650
8gb RAM
256GB SSD
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

anirudh09041 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:47 pmMy laptop specs are:
Asus tuf fx505dt
Ryzen5 3550H
Nvidia GeForce 1650
8gb RAM
256GB SSD
anirudh09041 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:18 am How did you updated the kernel.
Because I am also facing the same problem.
You have different hardware which means you should be creating your own thread and not posting on someone else's thread.

Update your system to the 5.8 kernel which is available in Update Manager. Open Update Manager. Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue. Make sure 5.8 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear. Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active.

If that does not work, please create a new thread and post the information in Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help! in the first post of that new thread.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”