upgrading to Win10 while on dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HuginnMuninn
Level 2
Level 2

upgrading to Win10 while on dual boot

Post by HuginnMuninn »

Hi,
I have linux and windows (dual boot)
and I want to upgrade my windows.
Can I do it the usual way > plug USB then proceeding with upgrade?
or are there any precautions I should consider?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please be informed that English isn't my first language. So go easy on me please :D

Linux Mint 20.3 Una 64-bit
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: upgrading to Win10 while on dual boot

Post by Pierre »

Sure - - just plug in your usb dongle,
& then goto settings - Update & Security - Windows Updates . .

NB: do be aware that there is an High Chance that the Windows Update could mess with your LinuxMint System . .
and that your may have to repair the Linux Grub Boot Loader & it's Grub Menu, too.

sometimes, you do get lucky & the Windows Update doesn't change any of the Linux Settings.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
HuginnMuninn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HuginnMuninn »

Pierre wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:40 am Sure - - just plug in your usb dongle,

NB: do be aware that there is an High Chance that the Windows Update could mess with your LinuxMint System . .
and that your may have to repair the Linux Grub Boot Loader & it's Grub Menu, too.

sometimes, you do get lucky & the Windows Update doesn't change any of the Linux Settings.
8)
Does the grub repair erase the HDD or delete files stored? Is it easy? Could you please point me to some guides to read/study about the grub repair?

[edit]
Sorry, I might have not been as clear as I meant to be, sorry my mistake. I have windows 7 and I want to upgrade to windows 10 by formatting C....I don't know the "Windows Updates" method...

I'd like a clean install of a windows 10...Can this method be applied?
Please be informed that English isn't my first language. So go easy on me please :D

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

sure - - you can simply download the win-10 ISO.
and write that to an usb stick & then boot from that.
then use it's Installer to overwrite the existing win-7 system,
you would also need the product key from the existing win-7 system,
to plug into the new win-10 system, when required.

the Linux Grub Repair Tool simply restores the missing / broken Grub Boot Loader,
back to your LinuxMint System , , it doesn't do anything else.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

HuginnMuninn wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:18 am or are there any precautions I should consider?
You should backup the Mint system some how. At a minimum, save a Timeshift snapshot to flash drive, so you can "restore" it if you end up having to reinstall. Timeshift isn't really a backup app, though, so there will be some rough edges. Do you have a proper system backup already? If so, Timeshift will be the backup-backup, but cheap insurance.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I use Clonezilla to clone the partition's. It's very reliable.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
HuginnMuninn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HuginnMuninn »

Pierre wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:00 pm sure - - you can simply download the win-10 ISO.
and write that to an usb stick & then boot from that.
then use it's Installer to overwrite the existing win-7 system,
you would also need the product key from the existing win-7 system,
to plug into the new win-10 system, when required.

the Linux Grub Repair Tool simply restores the missing / broken Grub Boot Loader,
back to your LinuxMint System , , it doesn't do anything else.
Thank you, Pierre. Your posts have always been helpful.
I have a question though. I'm sorry English isn't my first language, so I apologize if I repeat myself. I'm just trying to understand.

Here's my situation:

I have old windows 7 + old linux mint as well (18.3)

and I want to upgrade both.

What is the better route to take (without having to copy my whole HDD on an external one and deleting everything - I always have to do that)?

my question is specially about the order of the upgrade (which OS first - to avoid breaking grub) and also about not risking erasing the whole drive. I really (really) cannot afford having my files deleted by mistake at the moment, it will ruin my professional life.

What's your advice?
Last edited by HuginnMuninn on Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

HuginnMuninn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HuginnMuninn »

linux-rox wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:04 pm
HuginnMuninn wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:18 am or are there any precautions I should consider?
You should backup the Mint system some how. At a minimum, save a Timeshift snapshot to flash drive, so you can "restore" it if you end up having to reinstall. Timeshift isn't really a backup app, though, so there will be some rough edges. Do you have a proper system backup already? If so, Timeshift will be the backup-backup, but cheap insurance.
Definitely helpful, thank you. I didn't know about Timeshift. My present copy of Mint doesn't have that much of valuable files so it's ok for me. All I'm concerned about is the risk of having my whole HDD erased or grub to break that the only way to fix it is to erase and start all over again. I've been through it once and it is not a good experience when you don't have an external backup for your files regardless of the OSs themselves. I'm worried about the files on the HDD, you know..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

HuginnMuninn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HuginnMuninn »

deepakdeshp wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:35 pm I use Clonezilla to clone the partition's. It's very reliable.
Thank you I'll check it out for sure. I'll google more about it. :)

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

HuginnMuninn wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:57 am

what is commonly referred to as an "Clean Installation" - - would be the best solution.
8)

thus, you would Copy all of your Files ( photos, documents, etc )
- over to an external usb drive.

you really need Two usb sticks, actually,
- one for each system, with the correct & updated ISO written to each one.
you can use the existing windows system, to create those two usb sticks . .
https://rufus.ie/en/
is the suggested program, to use.

then it's an matter of deciding, just what size partition, that you want for each system, to be.
& thus pre-partitioning the existing drive, depending on it's actual size, obviously,
to what you would think, is suitable to use
- - erasing all of the existing partition, in the process, of course.

then, booting each usb stick, in turn, and Installing each New System.
- windows 10 first off
- the LinuxMint 20 system, then Installed afterwards.
booting into each system, after it's been Installed, to check that it actually does work :!:

you can use the Gparted program, on your New LinuxMint Live Media,
to Erase the existing partitions, and then re-create some New Partitions, on that drive,
- - booting into the LinuxMint Live system, of course . .

then Install each New System, in turn .. windows first.
& boot into each system, in turn, to re-check that it's working okay.
:)
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Pierre wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:40 am Sure - - just plug in your usb dongle,

8)
in my case I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and there was no problem with the dual boot. I didn't have to repair any boot loader. But that's not the rule. YMMV. Do the upgrade, but be prepared for a fresh install of Windows and Mint. Back up, Back up data to your external drive.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

HuginnMuninn wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:03 am I've been through it once and it is not a good experience when you don't have an external backup for your files ...
Do you have backups now? At least your data files(documents, pictures, etc.) should be backed up ALWAYS. The HDD can fail, you know.

As for the rest, I agree with Pierre. If you want/need to upgrade Mint 18.3, do a clean install. There's no simple upgrade option from 18.3 to 20.1 (the current version). Rather, you would have to do it in five stages, two of which are particularly susceptible to having something go wrong. For an idea how complicated that can be, look at this demonstration karlchen wrote for upgrading from 17.3 to 19. Karl is a guru. If he found the process that difficult, imagine how difficult it will be for you. Instead, do a clean install. Take careful notes of all the steps (what settings you change, what apps you install, etc.), so you can do it easier and quicker next time. :wink:

So, to recap. here's the plan.* Backup data files to USB drive (if not already). Upgrade Windows. Reinstall Mint. Good luck.

* Withdrawing my earlier advice, don't bother with Timeshift (or any other system backup), as you're going to need to do a clean install anyway. If you want to backup the system in future, Clonezilla is an option but has a substantial learning curve. Instead, I recommend FoxClone, which is more user friendly.
HuginnMuninn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HuginnMuninn »

linux-rox wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:27 am
HuginnMuninn wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:03 am I've been through it once and it is not a good experience when you don't have an external backup for your files ...
Do you have backups now? At least your data files(documents, pictures, etc.) should be backed up ALWAYS. The HDD can fail, you know.

As for the rest, I agree with Pierre. If you want/need to upgrade Mint 18.3, do a clean install. There's no simple upgrade option from 18.3 to 20.1 (the current version). Rather, you would have to do it in five stages, two of which are particularly susceptible to having something go wrong. For an idea how complicated that can be, look at this demonstration karlchen wrote for upgrading from 17.3 to 19. Karl is a guru. If he found the process that difficult, imagine how difficult it will be for you. Instead, do a clean install. Take careful notes of all the steps (what settings you change, what apps you install, etc.), so you can do it easier and quicker next time. :wink:

So, to recap. here's the plan.* Backup data files to USB drive (if not already). Upgrade Windows. Reinstall Mint. Good luck.

* Withdrawing my earlier advice, don't bother with Timeshift (or any other system backup), as you're going to need to do a clean install anyway. If you want to backup the system in future, Clonezilla is an option but has a substantial learning curve. Instead, I recommend FoxClone, which is more user friendly.
Thanks so much, linux-rox :) I never had an "always-backup" mentality even though I have an external HDD but I always treated it as an extra gadget just sitting there...hehe :oops:

Okay, Clean Install. Here I come! :lol:

HuginnMuninn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HuginnMuninn »

Pierre wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:10 am
HuginnMuninn wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:57 am

what is commonly referred to as an "Clean Installation" - - would be the best solution.
8)

thus, you would Copy all of your Files ( photos, documents, etc )
- over to an external usb drive.

you really need Two usb sticks, actually,
- one for each system, with the correct & updated ISO written to each one.
you can use the existing windows system, to create those two usb sticks . .
https://rufus.ie/en/
is the suggested program, to use.

then it's an matter of deciding, just what size partition, that you want for each system, to be.
& thus pre-partitioning the existing drive, depending on it's actual size, obviously,
to what you would think, is suitable to use
- - erasing all of the existing partition, in the process, of course.

then, booting each usb stick, in turn, and Installing each New System.
- windows 10 first off
- the LinuxMint 20 system, then Installed afterwards.
booting into each system, after it's been Installed, to check that it actually does work :!:

you can use the Gparted program, on your New LinuxMint Live Media,
to Erase the existing partitions, and then re-create some New Partitions, on that drive,
- - booting into the LinuxMint Live system, of course . .

then Install each New System, in turn .. windows first.
& boot into each system, in turn, to re-check that it's working okay.
:)
Ok, got it.

One last question. (hopefully hehe :oops: )

I remember last time I did the clean install (years ago)

I formatted the whole HDD and then installed windows first >> I remember I deliberately left a certain amount of GBs unformatted at all so I can shape it the way I want when I install linux. Is this still the same procedure or should I do it differently?

linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

HuginnMuninn wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:09 pm One last question. (hopefully hehe :oops: )

I remember last time I did the clean install (years ago)

I formatted the whole HDD and then installed windows first >> I remember I deliberately left a certain amount of GBs unformatted at all so I can shape it the way I want when I install linux. Is this still the same procedure or should I do it differently?
That will work, but I'd try what Pierre said earlier, i.e., have Win10 upgrade into the existing Win7 space, so you won't have to shrink it. As for Mint, be aware the current version wants more space than the old one (isn't that always the way?) and you no longer need a swap partition.

What size drive is this, anyway? What's the current allocation of space? Where are data files located?

Return to “Installation & Boot”