Machine hangs on shutdown

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Machine hangs on shutdown

Post by Black Square »

I've been getting this quite a lot recently and I have to shut down using the power button which is not healthy.

I pressed ESC during the shutdown to see what was going on and it freezes at various stages but I do see something a few times about a kernel panic.

This is my system information:

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-70-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa 
  base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Dell product: Vostro 220 Series v: N/A 
  serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Dell model: 0P301D v: A00 serial: <filter> BIOS: Dell v: 1.0.3 
  date: 10/24/2008 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Pentium E5200 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Penryn 
  rev: 6 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 bogomips: 9974 
  Speed: 1197 MHz min/max: 1195/2495 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1197 2: 1197 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics vendor: Dell driver: i915 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1440x900~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G45/G43 (ELK) v: 2.1 Mesa 20.2.6 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 82801JI HD Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Device-2: Logitech Webcam C270 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo 
  bus ID: 1-3:4 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-70-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Dell Vostro 220 driver: r8169 v: kernel port: e800 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Ralink RT5370 Wireless Adapter type: USB driver: rt2800usb 
  bus ID: 2-2:2 
  IF: wlx000f0035c418 state: up mac: <filter> 
  IF-ID-1: tun0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 465.76 GiB used: 44.22 GiB (9.5%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD5000BPVX-00JC3T0 
  size: 465.76 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 202.34 GiB used: 44.22 GiB (21.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 37.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 1630 mobo: 1144 
Info:
  Processes: 194 Uptime: 5m Memory: 3.81 GiB used: 1.35 GiB (35.5%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 
  inxi: 3.0.38 
How can I solve this?

Screenshot added:
IMG_20210413_152053.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Redocmi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Machine hangs on shutdown

Post by Redocmi »

Can you share what do you see sometimes about the kernel panic?
Actually, I was also facing the same error but when I charge my lappy then freeze and halt are resolved. Maybe you can try this!
Do let us know.
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Black Square »

Redocmi wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:06 am Can you share what do you see sometimes about the kernel panic?
Actually, I was also facing the same error but when I charge my lappy then freeze and halt are resolved. Maybe you can try this!
Do let us know.
I'd have to take a picture next time it happens, but it's a desktop not a laptop so charging isn't relevant.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

The most recent person I helped with the computer hanging on shutdown found the problem cleared when the BIOS was updated.

BIOS/UEFI updates not being done seem to be cause more issues with LM20 than with earlier versions.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Redocmi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Redocmi »

SMG wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:44 pm The most recent person I helped with the computer hanging on shutdown found the problem cleared when the BIOS was updated.

BIOS/UEFI updates not being done seem to be cause more issues with LM20 than with earlier versions.
Yes, the same error occurred when I installed Linuxmint, as a result, I had to update my BIOS to get it actually working. I think if Black Square is facing this hang on Shutdown, maybe it's the same error that I faced.
Redocmi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Redocmi »

Black Square wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:29 pm
Redocmi wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:06 am Can you share what do you see sometimes about the kernel panic?
Do let us know.
I'd have to take a picture next time it happens, but it's a desktop, not a laptop so charging isn't relevant.
Let me know if your system displays this during the boot, If yes you should update your BIOS.

[	0.416XXX] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\.SB.PICO.XXX.YCM5], AE_NOT_FOUND
 		(some cryptic number and characters here)
 		[	0.416XXX] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (some cryptic text)
 		[	0.63XXXX] Initramfs unpacking failed: Decoding failed
 		[	0.64XXXX] pci 0000:00:00.X: AMD-Vi: Unable to read/write to IOMMU perf counter.
 		_
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Black Square »

It doesn't. But I've updated the BIOS anyway as per people's recommendation on this thread and will see over the next few shutdowns if it helped.
Redocmi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Redocmi »

Did updating your BIOS work for you?
Have you disabled secure boot in BIOS?
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Black Square »

Redocmi wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:17 am Did updating your BIOS work for you?
Have you disabled secure boot in BIOS?
I said I'd wait for a few shutdowns to see. I want to shut down at the end of each day after the machine has been on a long while and usage is built up over the course of the day. The first shutdown was fine but I had some shutdowns go fine 3 or 4 in a row before, so it's just a case of seeing how it does over several days or more.

Yes secure boot is disabled.
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Black Square »

UPDATE: It's happened again. It seems updating the BIOS wasn't the magic bullet. Any other ideas to fix this please?
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Maybe update your kernel to 5.4.0.72.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Black Square wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:26 pmUPDATE: It's happened again. It seems updating the BIOS wasn't the magic bullet. Any other ideas to fix this please?
Are you getting the same messages or different ones this time?

How long are you waiting to let the computer shut down?
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Black Square »

SMG wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:41 pm
Black Square wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:26 pmUPDATE: It's happened again. It seems updating the BIOS wasn't the magic bullet. Any other ideas to fix this please?
Are you getting the same messages or different ones this time?

How long are you waiting to let the computer shut down?
The message said kernel panic again, although I can't remember if the wording is identical to my screenshot in the OP. It looked similar and probably was pretty much the same.

By how long I'm waiting to let the computer shut down, do you mean before I hard shut it down with the power button? I used to wait a good half hour to make sure it won't fix itself, but these days I do it with the power button as soon as I see the kernel panic message pop up because I assume it's not budging.

If you meant how long I wait to shut down the computer from the Mint OS, I start shutting down as soon as I've closed the last program I had open (usually Firefox).

One thing I do notice when this happens is that RAM usage is lower (about 500mb) before I shut down and after I've closed all applications. I check this on Htop. When it doesn't kernel panic, RAM usage is about 700mb. Could be relevant, I don't know.

I'm on the latest kernel 5.4.0-72-generic.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Black Square wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:04 amThe message said kernel panic again, although I can't remember if the wording is identical to my screenshot in the OP. It looked similar and probably was pretty much the same.
I would not necessarily assume it is the same message. There is not a generic "kernel panic" message. Each kernel panic is detailed and the messages are very specific as to what causes the panic. There are many possible reasons for a kernel panic.
Black Square wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:04 amBy how long I'm waiting to let the computer shut down, do you mean before I hard shut it down with the power button? I used to wait a good half hour to make sure it won't fix itself, but these days I do it with the power button as soon as I see the kernel panic message pop up because I assume it's not budging.
Yes, I meant how long before hitting the power button.

You made a change to your system by updating the BIOS. Therefore, since your system has changed, it is not a good idea to assume the same thing is happening. Maybe it is and maybe it is not.

By powering down the computer in the middle of the panic, you risk corrupting your install.
Black Square wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:04 amOne thing I do notice when this happens is that RAM usage is lower (about 500mb) before I shut down and after I've closed all applications. I check this on Htop. When it doesn't kernel panic, RAM usage is about 700mb. Could be relevant, I don't know.
It might be. I do not currently have any ideas off the top of my head as to how it might relate.

The next time a kernel panic happens, on the subsequent boot, run the following commands after you boot the next time. Maybe something is happening that might show up in the log and give us a clue as to what is happening.
journalctl -rb -1 | nc termbin.com 9999
journalctl -b | nc termbin.com 9999
Each of these will return with a unique url address you should post in your next reply. The first command prints the journal log information of the prior boot cycle in reverse order (which puts the shutdown info near the top) and sends it to termbin. The second one prints the journal log info of the current boot as it starts.
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Black Square »

SMG wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:00 am The next time a kernel panic happens, on the subsequent boot, run the following commands after you boot the next time. Maybe something is happening that might show up in the log and give us a clue as to what is happening.
journalctl -rb -1 | nc termbin.com 9999
journalctl -b | nc termbin.com 9999
Each of these will return with a unique url address you should post in your next reply. The first command prints the journal log information of the prior boot cycle in reverse order (which puts the shutdown info near the top) and sends it to termbin. The second one prints the journal log info of the current boot as it starts.
Thanks for the useful information. I just saw your post and I'm about to shut down my machine for the day, but I'm still on the first boot up since yesterday's kernel panic. Here is the output from the two commands you provided:

https://termbin.com/rt35

When I ran journalctl -b | nc termbin.com 9999, I just got this:

nc: port number invalid: 9999[/c]
journalctl: command not found
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Black Square wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:06 pmWhen I ran journalctl -b | nc termbin.com 9999, I just got this:

nc: port number invalid: 9999[/c]
journalctl: command not found
Sometimes I think the system or termbin gets busy, so there might be an error message, but I'm not sure what happened in this case because journalctl is a valid command and the same one used in the first command. :?

I'll let you know what I find in the log you posted.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Black Square wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:34 pm The first shutdown was fine but I had some shutdowns go fine 3 or 4 in a row before, so it's just a case of seeing how it does over several days or more.
This seems to indicate there is something which happens or is run on those days which might be a factor.
Black Square wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:06 pm I just saw your post and I'm about to shut down my machine for the day, but I'm still on the first boot up since yesterday's kernel panic. Here is the output from the two commands you provided:

https://termbin.com/rt35
I presume yesterday's kernel panic happened when you shut down yesterday which means if it happened before the journal stopped it would have been on the log you posted. It was not. From that I assume the panic happened after the journal stopped. Other than you taking a photograph of it, I do not yet know of a way to get that information.

I did find a Cinnamon core dump in the log. I would expect if you go to the System Reports app and click Crash Reports on the left there will be at least one listed on the right side. I do not know if that might be a clue in this situation. The default setting on Mint cleans the logs weekly, so they do not remain for more than that amount of time.

Apr 17 16:58:18 user-Vostro-220-Series kernel: traps: cinnamon[1254] trap int3 ip:7fe4a177a295 sp:7ffdcb098510 error:0 in libglib-2.0.so.0.6400.6[7fe4a173e000+84000]
Apr 17 16:58:18 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd[1]: Created slice system-systemd\x2dcoredump.slice.
Apr 17 16:58:18 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd[1]: Started Process Core Dump (PID 15203/UID 0).
Apr 17 16:58:58 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd-coredump[15205]: Core file was truncated to 2147483648 bytes.
Apr 17 17:00:33 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd-coredump[15205]: Process 1254 (cinnamon) of user 1000 dumped core.

Stack trace of thread 1254:
                                                                #0  0x00007fe4a177a295 n/a (n/a + 0x0)
Apr 17 17:00:35 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd[1]: systemd-coredump@0-15203-0.service: Succeeded.
I noticed some references to kdeconnect so I assume you have it installed. Others have run into freeze and other odd issues which resolved when they removed kdeconnect. From feedback I received, it seems sometimes it works fine and other times there are issues which seem to relate to it. I am not familiar enough with the app to know why that might be.
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Black Square »

It's the morning after the latest kernel panic. Here are the latest outputs from those journalctl terminal commands:

https://termbin.com/jibw
https://termbin.com/eouz

And I took a photo of the latest kernel panic, it seems you are right they are not identical each time:
latest.jpg
I've been thinking of possible programmes I had open during the day that might trigger these kernel panics on shutdown. I barely ever use KDE for anything, isn't it just for pairing phones with the desktop? I do use a VPS with Remmina, if that causes KDE to do anything, but maybe its just doing something in the background that I'm not aware of. I might test and see if deduction helps at all.
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Black Square »

Another one. I tried restarting my computer and got the kernel panic again.

Outputs:
https://termbin.com/hy27v
https://termbin.com/cnru

Photo of kernel panic screen:
restartpanic.jpg
I've been giving these latest kernel panics a good 20 mins to resolve itself before I have to use the power button. I don't like doing that so many times, it's not healthy.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Both pics are showing the same problem at kernel panic: error while loading shared libraries: libm.so.6: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory . Did you uninstall any programs that might have had that as a dependency before this problem started?
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.

Return to “Installation & Boot”