Machine hangs on shutdown

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Machine hangs on shutdown

Post by Black Square »

Larry78723 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:34 am Both pics are showing the same problem at kernel panic: error while loading shared libraries: libm.so.6: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory . Did you uninstall any programs that might have had that as a dependency before this problem started?
I don't think I've uninstalled any native Mint apps because I heard that is dangerous, but I have uninstalled many programs that I've installed so it could be any of those. Dolphin was one, since KDE was mentioned earlier. I had a search for what programs need libm.so.6 and can't find a clue. Any ideas?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

The kernel panics are not showing in the log. It seems this is happening at the very last steps as indicated below.

Code: Select all

Apr 19 20:23:54 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd[1]: Finished Power-Off.
Apr 19 20:23:54 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd[1]: Reached target Power-Off.
Apr 19 20:23:54 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd[1]: Shutting down.

Kernel panic happening here according to the screen image.

Apr 19 20:23:54 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd-shutdown[1]: Syncing filesystems and block devices.
Apr 19 20:23:55 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd-shutdown[1]: Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes...
Apr 19 20:23:55 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd-journald[295]: Journal stopped
A lot is happening in a very, very short time, so photos will be needed to determine the reason for the panics unless someone else knows of another way to get that information.

In the second kernel panic you photographed, you were doing a reboot of the system instead of a shutdown and it appears the kernel panic happened at the same general time in the log (between reboot and syncing file systems).

I did notice in that reboot log the following:

Code: Select all

Apr 20 10:08:36 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd[1]: Unmounting /run/timeshift/backup...
Apr 20 10:08:36 user-Vostro-220-Series umount[13330]: umount: /run/timeshift/backup: target is busy.
Apr 20 10:08:36 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd[1]: run-timeshift-backup.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=32/n/a
Apr 20 10:08:36 user-Vostro-220-Series systemd[1]: Failed unmounting /run/timeshift/backup.
Black Square wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:53 amI don't think I've uninstalled any native Mint apps because I heard that is dangerous, but I have uninstalled many programs that I've installed so it could be any of those. Dolphin was one, since KDE was mentioned earlier. I had a search for what programs need libm.so.6 and can't find a clue. Any ideas?
I found the following thread How can I fix a missing/renamed libc.so.6? which seems to indicate booting to a live session and copying the missing file into your install might address this issue. The OP of that thread appears to have done some file renaming before asking for help, so you might need to wade through some information which does not apply in your case.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Black Square »

SMG wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:48 pm I found the following thread How can I fix a missing/renamed libc.so.6? which seems to indicate booting to a live session and copying the missing file into your install might address this issue. The OP of that thread appears to have done some file renaming before asking for help, so you might need to wade through some information which does not apply in your case.
I've booted from a USB and looked in the files of my install and compared it to what I had in the USB boot of Mint. Both have two libc.so.6 files - one in /lib/i386-linux-gnu and another in /lib/86-64-linux-gnu (actually my install has 10 more in my Timeshift snapshots from the last four days). I'm guessing what is in each might be different? I don't want to be too trigger happy and simply replace my install's files with the files from the USB mount. At this stage I'm getting beyond my sphere of knowledge.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Black Square wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:13 pm (actually my install has 10 more in my Timeshift snapshots from the last four days).
I do not understand what that means. Were these snapshots from when you had other software installed?
Black Square wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:13 pm I'm guessing what is in each might be different? I don't want to be too trigger happy and simply replace my install's files with the files from the USB mount. At this stage I'm getting beyond my sphere of knowledge.
I can understand that. Do you have any snapshots from before this problem started happening?

I only found one reference on my install to libc.so.6 ( /lib/86-64-linux-gnu) and its listed as a Link to shared library.
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Black Square »

SMG wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:37 pm
Black Square wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:13 pm (actually my install has 10 more in my Timeshift snapshots from the last four days).
I do not understand what that means. Were these snapshots from when you had other software installed?
Black Square wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:13 pm I'm guessing what is in each might be different? I don't want to be too trigger happy and simply replace my install's files with the files from the USB mount. At this stage I'm getting beyond my sphere of knowledge.
I can understand that. Do you have any snapshots from before this problem started happening?

I only found one reference on my install to libc.so.6 ( /lib/86-64-linux-gnu) and its listed as a Link to shared library.
I simply ran a search for libc.so.6 on my system and found all the instances of it, and it included those from snapshots.
Screenshot from 2021-04-21 08-44-51.png
I haven't been installing much software, just one yesterday.

I only have Timeshift snapshots going back 4 or 5 days.

I wonder if it's a hardware problem. My machine is old.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Black Square wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:10 amI simply ran a search for libc.so.6 on my system and found all the instances of it, and it included those from snapshots.
You have two files on your current install and each Timeshift snapshot references those same two files.

I do not have any ideas at the present time why this might be happening. The fact it does not happen on every shut down makes it more challenging to troubleshoot. You mentioned earlier you noticed a difference on memory usage prior to shutdown. Maybe there will be something else you notice in the future which will help.
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Black Square »

SMG wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:37 pm
Black Square wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:10 amI simply ran a search for libc.so.6 on my system and found all the instances of it, and it included those from snapshots.
You have two files on your current install and each Timeshift snapshot references those same two files.

I do not have any ideas at the present time why this might be happening. The fact it does not happen on every shut down makes it more challenging to troubleshoot. You mentioned earlier you noticed a difference on memory usage prior to shutdown. Maybe there will be something else you notice in the future which will help.
Thanks for your attention anyway, it is very appreciated.
Black Square
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Black Square »

I'm still getting nowhere unfortunately. Is there a way to reinstall Mint while keeping everything the same like how 20.1 installed over 20?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Black Square wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:44 am Is there a way to reinstall Mint while keeping everything the same like how 20.1 installed over 20?
LM20.1 did not install over LM20. The change between LM20 and LM20.1 was an update of specific files which changed.

It is possible to do a fresh install of LM20.1, but that would be starting over just like re-installing LM20 would be starting again.

You might want to try a live session of LM20.1 and see if it has any issues shutting down. If not then you could try adding some of the software you have installed and test that way. A live session is only run from the usb/dvd, so it would not affect your installed system on the hard drive.

Return to “Installation & Boot”